Author Topic: Genos will have Montage technology  (Read 6601 times)

Offline maartenb

Genos will have Montage technology
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »
On the French Yamaha forum, I found a post from Alain from June 8th, 2017:
Good evening, attention, the new GENOS is going to be more oriented [towards] MONTAGE than TYROS 5 while being a new arranger ...
But you are right to reserve it because it will really be nice this GENOS ......
Alain

When someone asks whether this means more editing options, Alain answers with:
I can not say more (hush)

Source: http://www.audiokeys.net/forum/showthread.php/51101-Yamaha-GENOS/page2

This means to me:
  • The thing is real. It exists.
  • The name will be Genos
  • It will have a touch screen and interface that looks more like the Montage than the Tyros. That also means one can still operate the Genos with buttons if one chooses not to use the touch screen.
  • It will sound great (probably using the same sound chip as the Montage)
  • It will be a real arranger with focus on real-time playing
  • It will be a new arranger concept and break away from the Tyros (in a good way)

Looks promising. We'll see (and hear!) in the Fall...

Maarten
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:22:03 AM by maartenb »

Offline Joe H

Re: Genos will have Montage technology
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
maartenb,

I think your assessment is right on.  Smaller lighter GENOS with touch screen and lots of buttons, maybe encoder knobs and sliders. It will probably look something like the Montage, MOXF or S970... more synth-like in appearance.

Also more real-time control plus an arpeggiator, higher capacity on-board MIDI sequencer 110,000 to 120,000 note capacity.  New processors with better sound, maybe more insert DSPs.  All for a new lower price point.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:14:27 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:39:56 AM »
Thank you very much, Maarten for this very interesting link. :)
Cross our fingers ...

Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 05:04:07 AM »
Well if its focus is on real time playing I shall be very happy.

Online Bachus

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 05:33:34 AM »
maartenb,

I think your assessment is right on.  Smaller lighter GENOS with touch screen and lots of buttons, maybe encoder knobs and sliders. It will probably look something like the Montage, MOXF or S970... more synth-like in appearance.

Also more real-time control plus an arpeggiator, higher capacity on-board MIDI sequencer 110 to 120 note capacity.  New processors with better sound, maybe more insert DSPs.  All for a new lower price point.

Joe H

If its anything like the Montage, forget about smaller and lighter....

But when i look at the montage interface... there is enough room for arranger functionallity just above the keys.. you can have 2 rows of buttons over the full length..

If so, Yamaha could save a huge amount of money by addapting the Montage hardware and software towards an arranger...   just 3 models like the montage, 61, 76 and 88, with added arranger buttons and functionllity.. all the need to do is drill extra holes and put some buttons in them...  they might cut the FM part and make it 256 voices AWM2 polyphony.. 

Expected prices... add 1000 to 1500 to the Montage prices.. 
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »
Just wondering-----among arranger players, how many want, need, or would use many of the advancements, additions, and functionality often requested here?  Is it many, just a few, or somewhere in between?  Does Yamaha know?  Or, is it that the majority of arranger buyers (or a silent group) just want a good-sounding instrument that they can turn on and play, with little fuss or need for advanced editing, or messing with lots of knobs, faders, buttons, sliders, etc.?

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
Hi,

Yamaha will never produce an 88 k Arranger Keyboard.
I wonder if they will continue their 76 keys version.
I have no idea how many 76 key T5 pieces Yamaha have sold.

Keep in mind Yamaha stopped the production of all 76 k arranger keyboards after the PSR9000 Pro.
Tyros1, 2,3 and 4 : 61 keys only.

Plse do not expect the Genos will have many features of the Montage. The Genos will remain an arranger keyboard and not a synth.
Maybe the colour will be the same. Black. ;).

Yamaha want to serve their favourite customer group first : the Home Player.

The Home Player is looking for a plug-and-play arranger keyboard with a great pro sound and a built in vocal harmonizer.
The Home Player wants a one band instrument. He is not playing with other musicians nor interested in professional recording studio work.

Will Yamaha also add a complete new speaker system and a new stand ?
It is hard to believe, after 15 years Tyros Dynasty, Yamaha will continue their present Tyros speakers and stand. 

Best regards, Jeff

The following users thanked this post: thomas750

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:30 PM »
If its anything like the Montage, forget about smaller and lighter....

But when i look at the montage interface... there is enough room for arranger functionallity just above the keys.. you can have 2 rows of buttons over the full length..

If so, Yamaha could save a huge amount of money by addapting the Montage hardware and software towards an arranger...   just 3 models like the montage, 61, 76 and 88, with added arranger buttons and functionllity.. all the need to do is drill extra holes and put some buttons in them...  they might cut the FM part and make it 256 voices AWM2 polyphony.. 

Expected prices... add 1000 to 1500 to the Montage prices..

My meaning was smaller and lighter than the current Tyros.  We will NOT see the GENOS as a Montage with arranger functions. This will not happen.  Probably will be more like the S770 / S970 with no speakers and some nice improvements and enhancements we already discussed.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Bachus

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Just wondering-----among arranger players, how many want, need, or would use many of the advancements, additions, and functionality often requested here?  Is it many, just a few, or somewhere in between?  Does Yamaha know?  Or, is it that the majority of arranger buyers (or a silent group) just want a good-sounding instrument that they can turn on and play, with little fuss or need for advanced editing, or messing with lots of knobs, faders, buttons, sliders, etc.?

Maybe we should ask ourself, how many people would switch to Genos from other models, if it combined arranger features with features from Montage?

To keep arrangers alive, they need to pull in new people...

Because most current tyros5 players dont have any clue what to wish for in the next arranger as they are perfectly happy with tyros5...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »

I think the answer to that question is up to Yamaha.  This forum only represents a fraction of all arranger owners in the world. So what we read here is relevant to this forum only... but Yamaha does read it.

Do Yamaha only want to sell the next arranger as the same old arranger they already have to the same people in their 60s, 70s and 80s or will it be something new and better appealing to new and younger customers.  Remember they don't take away features, they always add more to each new model.

And keep in mind that any manufacturer can only make a keyboard for all users.  Take it or leave it.  None of us uses every feature of our arranger keyboard.  That's just how it is.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:32:57 PM by Joe H »

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 12:00:30 AM »
Hi Joe,

01. Remember they don't take away features, they always add more to each new model.

Y ( = Yami ) removed the Voice Creator from the T5.
At that time all T5 endusers were very disappointed and unhappy. Y were obliged to create a win prog to replace the Voice Creator.  ???
It took more than 6 months before this prog was available.

I wonder if the Voice Creator will come back in the Genos.

02. Do Y only want to sell the next  as the same old  they already have to the same people in their 60s, 70s and 80s or will it be something new and better appealing to new and younger customers.

Most young musicians are absolutely not interested in playing arr kbs.
They go for a synth, a piano or a midi kb.

Will that change when the Genos will be on the market ?

In the meantime the whole world thinks/believes the Genos will be launched at the end of this year.
Most dealers keep no longer T5 stock and apparently they do not know more than we do. :-\ 

Everybody expects a complete new concept ( new software, touch screen, additional knobs, extra faders, arp etc. etc. ).

Since Y do not show any photos nor specs ( yet ) ... we only can speculate. :P
It looks like even their dealers have not received any information yet ???

Will the Genos be so spectacular ? ... only Y know the answer.

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:12:46 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 04:51:23 AM »
As always with Yamaha the people that know anything have to sign a non discloser document and if breeched it is immediate dismissal. Dealers, like us will only know anything certain a few weeks before hand. All we have to do now is wait and if we like what we see we then, buy or not. It has always been the same.
  As the 76 note Tyros has been so popular I think they will keep in in the new model. As a mainly sit and play person I am looking for a lot more new styles and not Audio ones. I personally do not want a touch screen. Buttons more positive in fast moves. Hope the speaker system is altered as I do not like those wires running along the back of the keyboard. Not to keen on black as it tends to show up marks of wear more easily. The S970 is a very dark grey and so far is wearing well but I have not had it as long as my trusty Tyros 5.
   October will soon be here in the meantime enjoy your summer holidays.

The following users thanked this post: Michael K

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 05:03:57 AM »
Hi Eileen,

Wishful thinking maybe ?
I agree, hopefully audio styles are no longer available in the Genos ... who knows. Cross my fingers.  ::)

Jeff

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »
1. Y ( = Yami ) ...removed the Voice Creator from the T5... At that time all T5 end users were very disappointed and unhappy.

2. ... Most young musicians are absolutely not interested in playing arr kbs.  They go for a synth, a piano or a midi kb.

3. ... Everybody expects a complete new concept ( new software, touch screen, additional knobs, extra faders, arp etc. etc. )... Will the Genos be so spectacular ? ... only Y know the answer.

Jeff

Well, it's all a matter of personal interpretation I think.

1. Voice creator was not removed, it was moved to a software version in YEM which is better and works for other keyboard models too.

2. If Yamaha produce a arranger keyboard with NO content for young musicians then... why would they buy one?

3. Not a new concept... the S970 is not a new concept, just stuff borrowed from other keyboards.  Yamaha just added real-time controls, an arpeggiator (these were in the low-end $400.00 USD arranger already) and also added EDM styles (DJ Styles) which is old stuff from the DJX-II keyboard and also added more synth Voices from the Motif  So expanding on what is offered in the S970 just might attract a new generation buyer. 

Expansion Packs for the high-end PSRs was not a new concept either, just new for the PSR borrowed from the Tyros and Motif.

We will all know soon enough what Yamaha has come up with.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:23:42 PM by Joe H »

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:39:15 AM »
Hi John :

It looks like the Genos will receive a complete new styles - and voice structure that cannot be played by all previous Yami arr kbs.

Jeff

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 08:41:44 AM »

You have described my needs here perfectly. :)
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Online Bachus

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »

Isnt that instrument allready available, its called the Tyros 5.. 

If those are your needs, i dont see much reason for upgrading from a Tyros 5 anyhow..

Offline metcam

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
My opinions:

The New Yamaha arranger need to have "Total voice creator" and "Total style creator " on board .

YEM is OK too,,so problem will be fixed automatically for all Who like either way.

Regards

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:35:25 AM by metcam »
Curent Instruments: Tyros5-61,,,PSR-A3000
Previus instruments:PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland D20.........

Offline Joe H

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
My opinions:

The New Yamaha arranger need to have "Total voice creator" and "Total style creator " on board .

YEM is OK too,,so problem will be fixed automatically for all Who like either way.

Regards

metcam,

If Yamaha add complete Voice creation / editing on-board then the next arranger would technically be a true synth keyboard (by Yamaha definition).  I don't think we will see that... but we will know soon I'm sure.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:19:09 PM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 11:44:17 AM »
Isnt that instrument allready available, its called the Tyros 5.. 

If those are your needs, i dont see much reason for upgrading from a Tyros 5 anyhow..

I agree... if you want the same old, same old thing... then don't upgrade.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:50:24 AM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
Hi John :

It looks like the Genos will receive a complete new styles - and voice structure that cannot be played by all previous Yami arr kbs.

Jeff

Jeff,

I doubt that Yamaha will change the basic format of Voices.  It is possible they might re-arrange the order of Voice parameters just to prevent pirating and free exchange between keyboard models. 

A reliable source on the forum explained years ago that the Motif and Tyros Voices were the same except that Yamaha reversed the order of the editable parameters so that Motif owners and Tyros owners could not exchange Voices.

As far as styles go... pj's investigations tell us that we may see an expanded audio style format which includes audio Bass and possibly other audio style parts. Yes, those would be incompatible with current arrangers, but it is unlikely that the current style format would be eliminated on the next arranger and therefore having no backward compatibility for the many thousands of styles already produced by Yamaha.

Joe H

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:18:23 AM by Joe H »

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
I wonder if they will continue their 76 keys version.
I have no idea how many 76 key T5 pieces Yamaha have sold.
My dealer sold the T5 mostly in 76 key versions, so there is quite some demand for it.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline SciNote

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 01:07:25 AM »
Not to mention that Yamaha has now introduced two new 76-key models in the PSR-E series -- the PSR-EW300 and PSR-EW400.  So, it seems like interest is growing in 76-key models.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 04:02:07 AM »
Yes the 76 note Tyros 5 sold very well here in the UK but is mainly home players that use it as it is very heavy to transport round. Needs a large vehicle to.
  I don't think Yamaha would take away the use of many styles people have been collecting being used in a new keyboard. It would not be a very popular move.
  Surly it is up to members if they choose to change for the new model even if they don't want to use some of the new features. These boards are produced for general use across the board. They could not possibly produce models that only contain what you want to use. I choose my new keyboards for sound quality from the unit its self, if it is good then it will amp up well. Also good styles that are usable over a wide range of songs. Ease of use and of course it is always nice to have something new.

Offline pjd

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »
Hi --

Even though Montage has many wonderful new features and tech, Yamaha did its best to maintain compatibility with the Motif XF. You can find all of the old XF voices and all of the old XF arpeggios (musical phrases). I suspect that the new TOTL arranger will do the same WRT current Tyros voices and styles.

MIDI playback and styles are not going to disappear. If there are new styles, they will be MIDI plus audio. So, all old MIDI styles are just a subset of the new software architecture.

All that said, I speculate that the new TOTL will be a major generational change. We won't necessarily be able to take new GENOS styles, make a few simple edits (e.g., voice replacement) and play the new styles on old models. We already confront this limitation with current audio styles.

I agree with Joe to a large extent. The main incompatibility between Motif and Tyros/PSR is architectural. Tyros/PSR is based on the XG architecture; Motif is the classic AWM2 synth voice architecture. The software representations are fundamentally different. I don't think Yamaha did this to be devious -- it reflects the company's split personality going all the way back to the first appearance of XG -- an accident (artifact) of history.

Only Yamaha really knows about the TOTL at this point. We ought to have an acronym for that! OYRK :-)

I'm really quite excited to see what's next. Still happy to play my S950, too.

-- pj

Online Bachus

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
OYRK as in Only Yamaha Really Knows?

I have another one YKB...which reflects their actions for the last two decades..

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
Hi

Any Improvements to real time playing Is a must coupled with Daw compatibility.
I would like to see an end to YEM as loading takes an eternity sometimes having to load everything every time.
Better sounds
More memory
Also no glitching between registrations when different sounds are put In each section.

Daw compatibility with the Tyros 5 is hopeless as the sys ex does not talk between keyboard and daw100%  The zeros and ones are always a few ticks out In event lists
Daw companies like Sonar and Cubase are only interested In VST Instruments

Also has anyone noticed when editing In a daw you get a lot of unwanted flack, like bits of notes scattered everywhere. Tracks are not totally clean after recording.
This you can see especially in the Style section recorded.

To be honest you can make arpeggios easily without machines.
Better still If daw compatibility was great you can always use VST for things like that and add midi to vst. You know what I mean.

All the Best
John
Oh well we are all wetting our Knickers waiting for this new keyboard to happen!!! :-\ :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:11:35 PM by ugawoga »

The following users thanked this post: abr

Offline Joe H

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
I have another one YKB...which reflects their actions for the last two decades..

Well, sometimes they listen to us... as long as we don't tell them they are wrong or that they made a mistake.   ;D

;)

Joe H

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
Far to late for any wishes to be applied now so as always we are back to waiting until it comes out.

Offline pjd

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 05:28:08 AM »
Here, here, Eileen!

The GENOS (or whatever) code was probably frozen months ago and the axxe is in final testing and voice/content development.

We should start a "GENOS 2" thread, he said, quickly ducking behind a rock to hide.  ;D

All the best -- pj

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
Eileen is absolutely right.

Early next month first shipments will leave Japan to arrive early October 2017.
Then the real show will start.

It is so strange Yamaha do not say one word about the new highend machine.
Maybe it will be completely different than we all think. 8)

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:46:35 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
Hi Jeff

Thank god they are not made in China :-[

All the best
John :o

Offline CuckiT5

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
Hi,

Keep in mind Yamaha stopped the production of all 76 k arranger keyboards after the PSR9000 Pro.

-> greetings from germany
... but yamaha made a big mistake by themself with the the time they placed the psr 9000pro!!
Only one year ago they launched the psr 9000   the mostly people i know would buy a Pro version at this time ->no speaker / 76keys /  and great position of pitch and mod wheel... but they had to sell a brandnew psr 9000
In this case  yamaha looses many buyer!!!
It was  even a mistake  that  tyros 1-4 was available ony in this 61 key version!

bye

Online Bachus

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 01:12:57 AM »

I had a long talk with our local music store owner..
And we both have come to the same conclusions..
There will be a huge amount of Montage technollogy
And even more software parts
In the next TOTl arranger.

However, it will be covered under the typical arranger layers
That makes the technollogy much easier understandable for arranger players.
It will be there but shoudl not be so very much recognisable as Montage technollogy
We also agree on the touch screen..

Some real questions left unanswered..
- will the Genos have 8 encoders?
- will it have 2 or a single effect/channel
- will it be metal or plastic?

I think we both agreed that it definately could be a huge step up compared to Tyros5..

And with the current shortage of S970's we wouldnt either be surprised if they split up the Tyros into 2 different instruments.... a PSR PRO series still a typical arranger..  and teh Genos moving even more to the Workstation side of things recovering the ground the Monatge dropped compared to Motif

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline maartenb

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
Thanks, Bachus.

- will the Genos have 8 encoders?

What do you mean? Could you elaborate a bit, please?

Maarten

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but I just saw it on another site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Awba-L0JMc

The video was apparently published to YouTube on March 16, 2017, so it may have already been posted somewhere in these forums. Anyway, here's a still image I captured from the video. The big question is whether this is legitimate or just a doctored fake? I find it interesting that there's no number after the name on the casing-- i.e., it's just "GENOS," not "GENOS-76" or something like that.

I do think Yamaha intends to continue producing 76-key arrangers, and perhaps increase the number of models that have 76-key versions-- e.g., the successors to the PSR-S670, PSR-S770, and PSR-S970-- as suggested by the fact that the PSR-E453 and PSR-E363 have 76-key versions (the PSR-EW400 and PSR-EW300).

As for whether Yamaha will or won't produce any 88-key arrangers, it might be argued that they already do, at least after a fashion. The DGX-660 and its siblings are marketed as portable digital pianos rather than arrangers per se, but they have some arranger features, albeit they're the "cut-down" features which are seen on the PSR-E models-- "cut-down" in the sense that only two style variations are accessible, there's no Style Arranger, and the built-in song sequencer is far less sophisticated than the one on the PSR-S and Tyros models. I guess it depends on how one defines "arranger"?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Online voodoo

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
I am sure that the new arranger will not look like that picture. This is a photoshop collage between T5 and Montage. I expect that Yamaha will present something "new". Like the Montage was "new" as compared to the Motif series.
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »
This is a photoshop collage between T5 and Montage.

I'm inclined to agree with you that it's fake, if only because it was published 4 months ago. The fact that it has 76 keys yet has no number after the name (as if there is no 61-key edition) also seems suspicious, as well as the fact that the image zooms around the screen quickly so it's harder to get a good look at it. But even though I know that photo-editing software can do wonders, I don't see any obvious signs of fakery.

Frankly, I'm getting disgusted by the increasing proliferation of fakery on the web, especially on YouTube. The other day I saw an item about "A Wrinkle in Time" that said a teaser trailer had been released, so I clicked on one of the links that claimed to be to the trailer, but it was just some scenes from "Lucy." And before the latest "Alien" movie was released, there were a lot of fake trailers for it as well. One wonders why YouTube/Google doesn't do more to take down such blatantly fake trailers and other fraudulent videos?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Mark Z.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
When the Genos is a digital accordeon it will not have 76 keys .
That is where I am sure of .

An accordeon as arranger is completely new .

Online Bachus

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
When the Genos is a digital accordeon it will not have 76 keys .
That is where I am sure of .

An accordeon as arranger is completely new .

Not really overhere in europe you can by acordeon versions of all major high emd keyboards..

Online Bachus

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Thanks, Bachus.

What do you mean? Could you elaborate a bit, please?

Maarten

Encoders are limitless potentiometers...  the knobs on the Montage are encoders..

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline Joe H

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »
Maarten,

Encoder knobs have no minimum and maximum stop points.  They go round and round. The firmware is written so that when you turn an encoder knob, the software looks at the current value and begins change from there... so there is no jump up or down in value... just a smooth change from current setting.

The encoder knobs on my Motif Rack XS also have a push button function so you can press the knob like a button to see the current value.  And when you change the value, the original value is also displayed so you can always go back to it if you like.  This is how the LIVE CONTROL on the S970 should work, but alas   they implemented things the less expensive way with no display and no encoder software but rather; Yamaha used all school center detent knobs. 

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:24:24 PM by Joe H »

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline Marcus

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
Interesting thread. Whatever the final Genos product is, it will be a beast of an arranger. Makes sense that both in popular 61 and 76 note versions.

The older Tyros platform was impressively stretched to the limit. So a new arranger from the ground up will be awesome. Makes sense Yamaha would introduce new technology and add features and sounds to keep up with today's music genres, but also continue to improve upon previous genres, styles and voices.

Brand new platform doesn't mean everything within or features are brand new, but built upon recent technology and trends. Would make sense that some componates and hardware could be built upon recent existing Yamaha gear and top features from the Tyros 5. Maybe a whole new concept in arranging and styles, but most likely would have to also allow previous styles, midi files, multipads, and expansion data to still work.

I am all for full editors or any other useful features within an arranger keyboard. More tools the better, however price still must be a consideration. If I remember correctly, the Tyros 5 Voice Creator was totally removed from both the Tyros 5 hardware and the new introduced YEM expansion concept. My Tyros 4 UVI libraries were allowed to work and load through the new Tyros 5 YEM, but initially no Voice Creator until we raised our displeasure. That's why I think Yamaha will still allow previous content and technology to still be compatible or at least allowed to convert to the newer potential formats or new concepts, drum kits, voices, DSPs and overall improved sound quality.

Just my 2 cents,
Marcus

Offline maartenb

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
But even though I know that photo-editing software can do wonders, I don't see any obvious signs of fakery.
The button layout doesn't make any sense. It's just some Montage stuff slapped on a Tyros 5. I surmise the Genos will have a completely redesigned panel button layout, to have easier access to the sounds and so that one can easier find a style one is looking for.

The purpose of the above fakery is "click bait". The maker wants to trigger your curiosity so that you click on the link to see the video. These video's always have ads, so the maker makes a little bit of money. Having enough people who can't resist clicking and the maker has an income. It's as simple as that: quick and easy bucks.

One idiot went further by registering a domain: genosmania.com (DON'T GO TO THIS SITE, PLEASE) and creating a fake site with fake rumors. This site has not one but three ads. I know this, because I visited this site.  ::)  Once.

Look, if someone really has a scoop on the Genos, don't you think they will publish that a this forum? Or the French, Dutch or German one? I know some people on this forum are also active on these other forums, so if a genuine fact emerges there, it will be relayed here very fast! Honestly, how many of us will try to monetize a fact instead of freely sharing here??

One wonders why YouTube/Google doesn't do more to take down such blatantly fake trailers and other fraudulent videos?
Posting a fake Genos video is not illegal. What can YouTube do about this?

Another problem is people downloading a video of someone playing a Tyros/PSR and uploading it as their own...  :o

The solution lies with us. Use your discernment. Sharpen your discrimination. Don't watch these click bait video's and don't visit these sites. And if you do, please report here so the rest of us don't have to click.  ;)  When these people don't earn money with their activities, they will stop automatically.

Maarten
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:00:55 AM by maartenb »

Offline Mendel

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 06:37:48 AM »
hi maartenb,

Very well said.... in aditon to that i just want to mention that the recent 'YouTube trends'
are that the videos thumbnail looks really interesting and the video title will be 'top 10 coolest gadgets
of the future' and then the thumbnail is a cool picture of some door handle with a touch screen :) and than
what.... for sure you wanna click it! but that doesn't end there... it will start off with #10 and your watching all
of it (as your watching... its quite interesting [NOT])to get to the cool picture that looks interesting and find out more info
but by the end its not even it its something similar.... for example i was just on YouTube before watching a demo of some
synth... and i see in the side a video that shows top 10 scariest rollercostar  and the picture shows that the cart is like half falling
from the track (literally) but obviously.. its photoshop and after a month or 2 they get $$$$ for those silly ads you have to see in order to see
that cool thing you saw on the thumbnail....

Just do your self a favor unless you are a bourd soul, DO NOT WATCH IT BECAUSE THE SECOND YOU PRESS IT YOU
WILL PRESS ANOTHER VID AND ANOTHER VID..... i call it a trap  :o :o

Thank you,
Mendel

Online voodoo

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2017, 07:49:37 AM »
Hi Maarten,

I was not aware of this, but of course you are absolutely right. I also have clicked on videos like those described by Mendel. Thank you for this clear statement.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Mark Z.

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:13 AM »
Hi Bachus ,

There are no accordeons with an arranger with accompaniment styles in it .
Roland or Bugari and some other brands do have Midi to connect them
with a keyboard or a module .

The Genos , if it should be an accordeon , will be the first accordeon with an
arranger inside .

With such an accordeon you can walk on stage .

Online Bachus

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 03:16:33 AM »
Check out these acordeon arrangers...

http://muziekhuisdera.nl/keyboard/accordeon-keyboards/ketron/ketron-sd80-chromatic-keyboard

http://muziekhuisdera.nl/keyboard/accordeon-keyboards/yamaha/yamaha-tyros5-accordeon-96

http://muziekhuisdera.nl/keyboard/accordeon-keyboards/yamaha/yamaha-tyros5-chromatic-2103

http://muziekhuisdera.nl/keyboard/accordeon-keyboards/chromatic-keyboard/ketron-audya

The Ketrons are factory build, the yamaha's are 3rd party build... you can get them with several different types of knobs..

Having an arranger in a normal accorden will not work, as you should be able to see the screen to make your choices..

However, combining a midi accordeon with an arranger module like ketron SD40 works perfect..  as you can still move over the podium, and only need to be at the module (and probably your microphone if you sing) for certain actions...  the top line midi accordeons do have some buttons you can pre program with a midi cc..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:18:15 AM by Bachus »

Online voodoo

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:09 AM »
Check out these accordeon arrangers...

Very cool. I did not know that this exists.  8)

However, I would not call this an accordeon, but an accordeon keyboard (just as you explain).
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Online Bachus

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 06:02:15 AM »
Very cool. I did not know that this exists.  8)

However, I would not call this an accordeon, but an accordeon keyboard (just as you explain).

Well, to use them you need to know how to play an accordeon...