Author Topic: Music Expo Boston 2017  (Read 1569 times)

Offline pjd

Music Expo Boston 2017
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
Hi --

I attended Music Expo Boston on Saturday and blogged about it:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/music-expo-boston-2017/

A big highlight was meeting and chatting with Phil Clendeninn from Yamaha. Phil ran through a 30+ minute best of Montage demo. When I mentioned arrangers, he exclaimed, "Oh, ho, just wait!!!"

During our conversation, he thought that arranger sales in North America might suffer due to a lack of knowledgeable store sales people who can adequately take a customer through a product. All those buttons and lights can be intimidating and sometimes you need a musician who can show what a keyboard can really do in order to make a sale.

Life is going to get interesting. No timeframe. I didn't even tease Phil about "when." Too much respect.

All the best -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Music Expo Boston 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
Great post, Paul.  You are a very gifted writer.  :)

I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit Music Expo Boston 2017 and only wish I could have done the same.  :) :) :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Online Joe H

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »
Paul,

Nice write up!  On the issue of arranger sales, Yamaha needs to take responsibility for that.  The manager of a very large music store and Yamaha dealer in my town spent 3 days in another state training on the Montage.  Sounds like Yamaha needs to do this for the top PSR and TOTL arrangers.  If sales people don't know how the arrangers work and what capabilities these beasts have, it's up to Yamaha to educate the sales force.

I have stated both publicly and privately to forum members, the registration memory is where we "arrange" music.  It is the centerpiece of the arranger keyboard and is VERY powerful.  But Yamaha barely states a word about it.  Even Phil will not discuss them on the yamahasynth.com, so he is as guilty as anyone in failing to promote arrangers (which in Phil's opinion is something less than a Motif or montage) 

I disagree with the assertion that arrangers are less of an instrument than Yamaha's "performance keyboard".. they just function differently.  In fact, I think its easier to make music on an arranger than the Motif or Montage... and we can create a piece of music (arrangement) that is far more elaborate and complete to boot.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:15:11 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
Wow, you guys are fast! I just posted this thing.  :)

Just to be fair to Phil, I never got the impression that he (personally) believes that a synth is better than an arranger or vice versa. They are different tools for different jobs.

The Yamaha synth site is focused solely on Yamaha's synthesizer products. That's a corporate decision by Yamaha. During our conversation, he recognizes the gap on-line. I know, Yamaha is supposed to be one big happy family, etc. But having been in the position of doing on-line support for a big company myself, one personally has to have limits.

I think Yamaha is willing to train people. Frankly, I put the onus on Guitar Center. They have the personnel to be trained, but I don't see much interest on their part to get their people trained. The store manager that you mentioned had the initiative to get trained. GC puts pressure on staff for sales, etc., but where is the paid release time to get trained, for example? Or the effort to set up and run local/regional training seminars?

I'm thinking back to AMD's experience with Best Buy. Best Buy was a willing partner. GC with Yamaha? Not so sure.

Hey, thanks for the comments!

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Whoops, with respect to training on arrangers in North America, Blake Angelos might be the guy rather than Phil. Haven't met Blake, but he is one heck of a player on anything Yamaha with keys.

-- pj

Online Joe H

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
pj,

I have followed the threads on yamahasynth.com.  I understand that Phil's job is marketing and support for the Motif and now Montage.  But there are people on yamahasynth.com who have other keyboards (some not Yamaha) and software synths and they bring up topics on how to.... integration.  But "arranger" is a dirty word over there, even if you own a Motif.

We agree its a corporate failure and decision to not promote the high-end arranger line.  If Yamaha want to increase market share of arrangers, then they will need to offer the same kind of marketing and tech support they have offered for the Motif for the last 15 years.  How about a yamahaarranger.com website offering the same tech support as Phil does for the Motif and Montage.

And I think Phil's comment suggests Yamaha have been listening to us.  I think a much bigger bang for the buck arranger is coming.  I believe the new features of the PSR S970 and Montage support my assertion.

Cheers,
Joe H
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:17:08 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline SciNote

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »
The idea of well-trained sales people to sell a product seems to be, unfortunately, becoming a thing of the past.  I say this as someone who has had over 20 years of retail store experience and who worked for an electronics chain that went from being America's number one retailer of consumer electronics to going out of business.  When I first started working for that chain in the late 1980's, the focus was on well-trained sales people providing expert levels of product knowledge and customer service.  By the time they went belly-up in 2009, they would say that those were the goals, but they tried to do it after firing all of their experienced, higher-paid people and replacing them with people making not much more than minimum wage.

Of course, a large part of the blame is likely right under you're fingertips as you're reading this -- the internet.  Despite customers claiming that they want customer service, they will almost always opt for online shopping to save a few bucks.  And in many cases, who can blame them?  A few years ago, I made a project for my car that involved, among other things, over 200 LED's.  If I had bought those LED's from the local electronics store (that is also just about out of business, based on what I'm seeing), I would've likely spent at least $100 for those LED's -- probably quite a bit more.  Even at the local surplus store, I'd probably have been set back $30-40 for those LED's, if not more.  But online, I could get a pack of 100 LED's for about $5.  And even there, I'm really extrapolating, because what I needed were small, rectangular LED's for bar-graph-type displays, and neither local retail location stocked them in the colors I wanted.

Granted, musicians looking to purchase a new keyboard will usually want to get hands-on time with a new instrument to see how it works, how the keys feel, and of course, how it sounds.  But often, what happens is that the buyer goes into a local store to see the item, then goes home and orders it for less money online from another vendor.  Therefore, it gets harder and harder for local stores to stay in business, let alone have the funds to stock $4000 keyboards and pay professional sales people to properly demonstrate and sell them.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 03:51:46 AM »
Hi,

I fully agree it is absolutely necessary Yamaha should finally create a DAW for pro Yamaha arranger keyboards.

Up to now their daughter Steinberg never made a typical Yamaha DAW.

Steinberg became 100% Yamaha in 2002. After more than 15 years we never could buy a Yamaha arranger keyboard midi/audio editing program.
The only Yamaha sequence program, called XGWorks, has never been updated since 2002 and is no longer available.

Why do Yamaha not make any Arranger Keyboard Instruction video's ?
Expensive manuals are no longer needed and the consumer does not depend on the knowledge of a music shop dealer.

It would save Yamaha a lot of money, make more turnover and profit.
The final consumer price could be decreased.

A win-win situation.  ;)

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:53:09 AM by Jeff Hollande »
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »
Thanks, everybody, these are amazingly thoughtful posts. And thanks for the kind words, Roger!

I would have replied sooner, but spent last evening in the dark after the power went out.  :'(

I just want to emphasize how enthusiastic Phil was about the prospect of the next arranger. Now if it ran on batteries...  :)

Take care -- pj

Offline maartenb

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 11:16:06 PM »
A big highlight was meeting and chatting with Phil Clendeninn from Yamaha.
You lucky son of a gun... ;) Thanks for "reporting back" on this forum!

When I mentioned arrangers, he exclaimed, "Oh, ho, you just wait!!!"
This is very good news. I interpret this as him being excited about what's to come. When I just had my Reface CP and I dwelled on yamahasynth.com for a while, I noticed that Phil knows in part what is going on in other parts of Yamaha regarding arrangers. Even though his focus is Montage/Reface, he definitely knows more. And when he is impressed, it means we're in for some treats.

I just want to emphasize how enthusiastic Phil was about the prospect of the next arranger.
Ah, indeed. Time to preorder the Genos...

Maarten

Offline Jan-Eve

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 02:18:49 AM »
Ha lo! I wonder, what is tho word DAW, that Jeff Hollande is writing about?
Is it a kind of computerfiles? One must learn all the time...
Kind regards Jan - Eve.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 04:58:08 AM »
Jan-Eve,

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation.
A computer software application for recording, editing and producing audio files.
E.g. Cubase is a DAW.

Cheers, Jeff

XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline Jan-Eve

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 06:34:40 AM »
Thank you Jeff! Nice to know what it means. Interesting follow the discussion on this forum about the successor to Tyros 5.
I myself have PSR - S950 and perhaps, what I can read, the next one will be something very special. Maybe something to
upgrade to...And I hope that the Instructionbook will be better than before models. Some more videos on Youtube with lessons. You can allways wich upon a starr...
Kind Regards from Jan - Eve.