Author Topic: Any discoveries on how to create styles the easy way ?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline dihelson

Any discoveries on how to create styles the easy way ?
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »

It´s been a long time since I worked on my Tyros, and indeed, I forgot basically how to build new styles, but for what I remember the last one, it is really complicated to create difficult rhythms, fills...so, I think the best way would be to use an external editor. I´m not aware of the news on this area. Is there any new editor, some new ways to build styles ? Building internaly is not the easiest way. What about using an external DAW ?

Time doesn´t matter. What matter most is how you live your little minutes. You´re unique amongst 7 billion people living on this planet. Live well !

Offline Craig Schiller

Re: Any discoveries on how to create styles the easy way ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »
The short answer is there really is no easy way.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:07:51 AM »
I agree with Craig.  If you don't mind very simple and mediocre results, StyleWorks can do that for you with little effort on your part. Having made styles now for 3 or 4 years, I have never gone deep into the style format because I'm too busy with working and other responsibilities.  It seems to me, one would need to dedicate a lot of time to learning the proper procedures and having the right software to to it as well.

To create a professional style like Yamaha does... requires a lot of musical knowledge, composing and arranging skills, mixing skills (including good application of DSPs the right combination of Voices in the mix), and good technical knowledge of the style format (particularly the CASM settings).  I think Yamaha spends a lot of money paying professional people to produce the quality styles we get in our keyboards and offered in their expansion packs.

No easy solution!   :(    :'(

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
The mechanics of style creation are not easy. With time and persistence and some additional tools they might eventually be manageable, but as Joe says, it takes a a lot more than mechanics to produce great styles. The musical knowledge, experience and arrangers ear that it takes to create something worthwhile are much more difficult to acquire. So most of us settle for style modification rather than true creation. There are some decent cut and paste tools to allow this. And you can get good results and quite original sounding or song customized styles by cutting and pasting parts between styles, modifying instruments and phrases,  changing intros etc, all without starting with a blank canvass. Start easy and see how far you get.
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
Mike is right... Style Creator Assembly is the best way for most of us, but there are issues with that procedure also. 

When a style Part is copied you are copying all CASM parameters, DSP settings and all other Mixing Console settings with the style phrase or chord pattern in the Part being copied. 

So after copying a Part, you have to do many adjustments to get the new part compatible with the rest of the style... it's still the easiest way to create a new style, but requires a bit of a learning curve, practice and some trial and error.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline dihelson

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »
Hello, fellows,

I´d be glad with some software that I could at least create the drums part. I have some skill in playing drums on the keyboard to make new styles, and make bass lines which is the more I need. I really don´t need all those bells and ... of the current great styles. Just drums and bass would be interesting, because I need to play alive as a trio ( Piano, Bass and drums ). I have made some modifications on internal rhythms, and imported some bass lines ( Experiments, trying to learn ). The problem is that using internal editor is very tedious, complex. If we had some external software to make things more easy, would be fine !
Time doesn´t matter. What matter most is how you live your little minutes. You´re unique amongst 7 billion people living on this planet. Live well !

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
Hi,

I found this tutorial video from Yamaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPaMVjJqqQ

It shows that it is really simple to build an own style holding some simple elements like bass and drums. I think that should work for you.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline Ed B

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Hi
Here is one as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVVfyNKZ6PM
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline dihelson

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »

I´m learning to play drums on the keyboard, in order to make my own styles. This is a must for everybody trying to make new styles full of fill-ins, intros and endings on an external sequencer. I´m progressing, but when I master it, I would be able to transfer the content back to the Tyros 5 ( I hope ). For now, it´s a hard task learning to play all the patterns, because the positions of the instruments on the default drums doesn´t help to do flams, rolls and many other things.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »
dihelson,

There lots of free drum loops on the internet.  Have you tried converting MIDI drum loops to style parts?  Also, out of the thousands of styles we have available to us, surely there are some drum loops to your liking.

Joe H

Offline dihelson

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
dihelson,

There lots of free drum loops on the internet.  Have you tried converting MIDI drum loops to style parts?  Also, out of the thousands of styles we have available to us, surely there are some drum loops to your liking.

Joe H

Hello, Joe, the rhythms that I need are very complex, because has swing, new bossanova, samba, not mechanical, but as played by a real drummer, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqyTuWqzOc

Offline manuel

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
There is no such thing as Easy.....(of course, speaking of Style making).

Manuel

Offline dihelson

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:52:40 AM »
There is no such thing as Easy.....(of course, speaking of Style making).

Manuel

Well, Manuel, when you learn to play drums on the keyboard this way here, making styles turns easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWfYy_8I6wI&index=1

Offline Ingar

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
It's been a long time since I worked on my Tyros, and indeed, I forgot basically how to build new styles, but for what I remember the last one, it is really complicated to create difficult rhythms, fills...so, I think the best way would be to use an external editor. I'm not aware of the news on this area. Is there any new editor, some new ways to build styles ? Building internally is not the easiest way. What about using an external DAW ?

Easy yes, I find a internal style that mach the beat i want, I allways find one, and then build up a "new" style from that. Works fine for me :-)

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
I agree, find a drum beat pattern that is close to what you want. You can then use RHY1 to fill in any thing else in the way of additional beats there. Also remember you do not have to play as fast as the Drummer keyboard guy is playing in the video. You should SLOW the tempo down when recording anything when creating your own Pattern into a style.  ;)