Author Topic: New Keyboard help!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Tyros Trax

New Keyboard help!
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
Hello,

I haven't been active in this forum for yearsssss. My daughter wants to buy me a keyboard for my birthday. Budget is $1,000 US Dollars tho. What is the most bang-4-buck keyboard (Yamaha) that she can afford? I used to have an original Tyros, but that has been long gone. I was thinking something in the MM8 range? Just for home recording/entertainment, I do not gig or play in church anymore.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Trax

Offline Bachus

Re: New Keyboard help!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
A Yamaha S770 PSR could surprise you, if you want something akin to the orriginal Tyros..
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline Gloria

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
Gee whiz, I really don't have any suggestions on what you posted, but want to welcome you back to music!  I always enjoyed your music!

Regards, Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
It depends on what you're going to use it for.

If you like the synthesizer approach then I'm not sure.

If you prefer the arranger approach (i.e. more like the Tyros) then you might struggle to find an S770 under $1000. The S670 would also be a really good choice though, and even leave you with some change.
S770

Offline Tyros Trax

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
I demo'd the MM8 and I really liked it. It retails for $754.00 out the door. It has 88 keys and piano keys feel to it. I also use Band In a Box software, so their Real Tracks can really add to a song I make with the MM8.

I have yet to demo the PSR 670 though.

Thanks.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »
An important distinction... The PSR-S670 has built-in speakers, while the MM8 does not.  So, it at least in part depends on if you want a portable, "all-in-one" system or if you mainly use the keyboard in a situation where you hook it to an external amp and speakers.

Another thing, as far as I know... If the MM8 is like the MM6, and I believe it is, I could not find any way to "freeze" the accompaniment so that you can keep the same accompaniment playing when switching registrations.  From what I saw, each registration also has an accompaniment stored with it, so that if you go from one registration to another while playing a song, you will also change the accompaniment, unless both registrations happen to have the exact same accompaniment and tempo stored in them.  In fact, on this keyboard, the registrations are actually called "performances."

I could be wrong about this, but back in 2013, when I got my PSR-E433, I was considering an MM6, and when I looked at it, this seemed to be the case, which is a drawback for me.  And in fact, as the MM8 is considered more of a synthesizer than an arranger, I don't think it has an extensive set of style features -- in fact, instead of "styles", the available drum beats are called "patterns" on this keyboard.

To the best of my knowledge, the PSR-S670 should have an accompaniment/style freeze function, as well as a full complement of style features (but check this, to make sure, as I have not had much hands-on experience with the PSR-S670).  Also keep in mind that, according to Yamaha's website, the MM8 has 32 note maximum polyphony, whereas the PSR-S670 has 128 note maximum polyphony.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:05:15 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline Tyros Trax

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
TY SciNote.

I will be using my keyboard at home, no gigging. I am looking for the best/realistic sounds from the keyboard. I use software on my DAW at home to record songs with. The software I have has 4000+ styles, 1000+ are are real instruments recorded in a studio by professional musicians, called Band In a Box. I have been recording with Biab for 20+ years now, fwiw.

Thanks again for your input.

Trax

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:42:09 AM »
If you're already set up with a DAW, perhaps you just need a controller keyboard? To be honest, if it's just realistic voices you're after, you might be better off with a good set of VSTs and samples ...
S770

Offline Tyros Trax

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
Derek,

Yes, mostly real sounding midi voices, but I also like to play the keyboard on it's own at times as well. Thanks!