Author Topic: Gremlins back.... this time, they brought reinforcements  (Read 1468 times)

Offline LArmatage

Gremlins back.... this time, they brought reinforcements
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
Hello from Canada;
   I'm hoping that someone else has had this happen, and found a fix.
I have been doing all my arrangements on my T-4, (and previous Yamaha keyboards)  with Registrations for a long time, but I have something happening that is baffling.

Almost every second  time I bring up a new  registration I have done on a song, (I normally use at least 5 Registrations, and lots of times use all 8), in the right hand, the  Right 3 comes on with Scat Vocalists, which I haven't ever selected or put into the Reg memory. I normally  select 1 voice in Right 1. I also normally have a choir in the Left.

When I select the arrangement, the Right 1 will go off, the Right 3 will come on with the Scat vocalists, and the Left will change to perhaps Electric Piano. These are selections that I have never  put in the Registration memory, but they keep coming back.

Anyone with an idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Offline EileenL

Re: Gremlins back.... this time, they brought reinforcements
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:42:21 AM »
Just a thought but are you using a Midi song to play along with. A lot of the time when the midi is loaded in the sound set up will have been saved. If you press the registration button again do you then get your settings.

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
Hi Eileen;
    Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm not playing along with a midi file, (actually i've never done that".... I do have a number of midi files on the T-4, but they just sit there when I'm playing the keyboard).

This happens most on the first Right registration button, and the Left as well.. I will select an arrangement, press Reg button # 1, and the setting will be right. Then, all of a sudden, the Right 1 will go off, the Right 3 will come on, with Scat singers. In addition, my Left 1 will also change, from a choir setting, to an electric piano.

The strange thing is that I'll have that happen with a bunch of arrangements, with a number of different styles,  and when one resets, it always resets to those two voices, Scat in Right 3, and electric piano in left. As I say, Gremlins.

I just don't know how to solve this, and it sure spoils an arrangement,

Thanks for having a look.

Larry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
Have you tried doing a factory reset. Also have you tried setting your registrations as you want them and then resaved them.

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
Hi Eileen;
    I have not done a factory reset, but I have done a new update on all me 'arrangements' that I have saved as registrations...... I just did a "re-treak" to redo the volume levels, and in some cases, add a new or different multipad, and in virtually every one of them, there were changes, and a  new Save.

I have not ever done a factory reset, largely because I didn't ever feel a need to do that, but I certainly will do that. A question; is there any 'downside' to doing this? Will anything change in my Registrations, some of which have lyrics , (text files)?

I'll wait for an answer, and read up on doing the reset.

Thanks for your continued efforts..... I very much appreciate them.

Larry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »
As long as you have your setting saved to HD or USB stick you will be fine It is the user section that is affected by doing a full reset so make sure you have things saved else where.

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
Hi Eileen;
    Did the backup. and factory reset as per the manual.
The registration 'resets' are still happening, but there seems to be a pattern that I think I have figured out, (i.e., when it occurs). I'll do a little more checking to see if I can get it with certainty.

Thanks for your help....a lot of us enjoy our keyboards a lot more because of your wonderful contributions.

Larry

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »
Hi Eileen;
    Did the backup. and factory reset as per the manual.
The registration 'resets' are still happening, but there seems to be a pattern that I think I have figured out, (i.e., when it occurs). I'll do a little more checking to see if I can get it with certainty.

Thanks for your help....a lot of us enjoy our keyboards a lot more because of your wonderful contributions.

Larry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 07:09:28 AM »
Have you downloaded any third party registrations where the split point may be different. If you have not put the parameter lock on then this will affect registrations loaded after this. It is worth checking what the split is set to when the voice changes happen.
Be nice to know what the outcome is. Please let us know.
  Another thing has just crossed my mind. As you say the sounds are changing to ones you have not chosen do you have the OTS Link on. If so when you change a variation it will play the sounds from that and not your registration bank.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:03:24 PM by EileenL »

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
Hi Eileen;
   I think you've given me a clue. I tried about 8 songs where the registration setting 'Jumped" to other voices. and in 5 of them, that Scat vocal was in position 3 on the OTSettings.. BUT, on the other three, when it jumped to the Scat voices, that voice  weren't on the OTS.

I rarely ever use the OTS, (I always have other voices that suit my taste better), and in none of those registrations was the OTS on.

I have tried multiple times to reset the resignations that 'jump' , but I still have it happening.

There has to be some connection with the OTS, and I'll keep trying other things to get rid of. It is always the 1st registration that changes voices, and always to the Scat voices in Right 1, and to electric piano in Left.

Thanks a lot for hanging in there with me.... very much appreciated.

Larry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Hi Larry,
   The fact that you are saying this happens on the first registration all points to these voices being saved when a midi was recorded. If you press the registration button again and it goes to the correct voices then this is the most likely cause.