Author Topic: Midi Connection Tyros 3 to Casio PX5-S  (Read 523 times)

Offline DMAC

Midi Connection Tyros 3 to Casio PX5-S
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm a Newbie when it comes to connecting 2 keyboards via midi. No experience what so ever. I want to connect my T3 to my Casio PX5-S Stage piano and play the Yamaha Piano Voices on the Casio. There are probably instructions on the site somewhere. I thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Cheers
Donnie

Offline DMAC

Re: Midi Connection Tyros 3 to Casio PX5-S
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
Well, I've played around with a few things on both keyboards & figured a few things out. I think I'm on my way. :)

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
You can't play Yamaha voices on the Casio, so I'm guessing that you mean from the Casio-- that is, using the Casio as the controller and the Yamaha as the sound module. Is that what you're trying to accomplish?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline marcodg

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 05:57:45 AM »
You can't play Yamaha voices on the Casio, so I'm guessing that you mean from the Casio-- that is, using the Casio as the controller and the Yamaha as the sound module. Is that what you're trying to accomplish?

Hi
I habe the same Problem. I want to play my PSR S970 with a Thomann 5600 88 Weight Keys as MIDI controller. I saw one Followers hier who has plug the MIDI Controller 88 Keys on his Keyboard. I just want the same. I have try to connect the Two keyboards like this:
  88 Piano Midiout --> PSR MIDI IN. But when i play on the 88 Piano, i just get sound from this one and the sound of the keyboard when the volume is maxed, is just unusable.
So if anyone has suggestion for me, i would be thankfull.
kind regards
marco

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »
You're correct that if you want to use another keyboard (Casio, Thomann, etc.) as a controller for a Yamaha Tyros or PSR-S, you must connect them via a MIDI cable going from the MIDI Out of the controlling keyboard to the MIDI In of the Yamaha.

You'll also want to turn off the Local Control of the controlling keyboard, so it doesn't produce any sound of its own.

There are two basic approaches to selecting the voices you want the Yamaha keyboard to play:

(1) Try to set up the controlling keyboard to transmit the necessary MIDI messages for selecting the desired voice (i.e., the Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change), as well as any additional messages that set the various voice parameters (e.g., Channel Volume, Reverb Depth, Chorus Depth, DSP Depth, etc.). This will be complicated by the fact that the controlling keyboard won't use Yamaha's message data values unless it's also a Yamaha keyboard-- and even then, it might not use the same values as the Tyros/PSR-S. You might be able to create a user voice file on the Yamaha itself, rename the file to have a .MID file extension, transfer the file to the other keyboard, and when you want to send the voice selection to the Yamaha you could try to "execute" the file by selecting it as though it were a song file-- although there's no telling how the other keyboard might respond to the messages in the Yamaha user voice file, so it might not work.

(2) Select the desired voice and set its parameters directly on the Yamaha itself rather than trying to send those messages from the controlling keyboard. Note that if you want to use this approach, you'll need to go into the MIDI Receive settings on your Yamaha and assign the desired MIDI channel(s) to the desired Yamaha keyboard part(s)-- e.g., assign Channel 1 to Right1, assign Channel 2 to Right2, etc. If you don't do this, the Yamaha will most likely play the notes from the controller using one of the Yamaha's GM1 voices-- probably the GM1 Acoustic Grand Piano voice, unless you've sent a Program Change message from the other keyboard to try to select a different voice. You'll probably also want to set the MIDI Receive settings for the selected channels so that any receive PC (Program Change) messages will be ignored.

If you're trying to control a Tyros with another keyboard, you'll also have a third option: (3) Set up Registrations on the Tyros, then use the other keyboard to send the necessary Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change values to switch to the desired Registration. I don't think this will work on a PSR-S model, since they apparently don't recognize messages for switching their Registrations as the Tyros does.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: DMAC, marcodg