Author Topic: Vocal on audio track  (Read 1173 times)

Offline larrygreen1

Vocal on audio track
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:38:52 AM »
Hi.Just wondered if someone to tell me how to record a vocal track on to an audio file please.

Offline browzer

Re: Vocal on audio track
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
Larry,

Microphone is recorded by default when using the audio recorder. See page 74 of Tyros4 Owner’s Manual.

Ronnie
Tyros 5

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »
Thanks.

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
Hi.Does anyone know if I can record a vocal track on to a midi file track that I have recorded on the T4 sequencer please?

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:37:16 AM »
I have just seen a few previous posts on the forum so will try & have a go !!!!Thanks.

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »
Hi.Does anyone know if I can record a vocal track on to a midi file track that I have recorded on the T4 sequencer please?

Unfortunately you can't record audio to a MIDI track!

However you can record the sound (audio) produced when the MIDI is played back by using the T4's HD Audio Recorder, effectively 'converting' the MIDI to audio (note that this does not affect the original MIDI in any way).

If you sing into a connected microphone as the MIDI is playing and being recorded on the HD Audio Recorder, the audio from your vocals will be included in the recording, giving you a stereo audio .wav file, which can then be played back on the keyboard, or transferred to a USB memory stick and then to a  computer or audio playback device.

However there are two ways of recording HD Audio on a Tyros.

The first and simplest way is to use the so called 'Simple' recording method, which just mixes all audio signals together and records them to a single stereo track.  This is effectively what is described above.

However you can also use the 'Multi Track' method, which can record to two separate stereo tracks, the 'main' track and the 'sub' track, although only one of these can be recorded at a time.

The advantage of this is that you can first record the audio from the MIDI playback to the 'main' track, then you can record your vocal separately to the 'sub' track whilst listening to the 'main'.   If you make a mistake when singing, you can simply use the 'punch in' function to re-record just your voice over the part of the 'sub' track containing the error, without affecting the backing on the 'main' track.

To correct a mistake in this way if you have recorded both the MIDI and your vocals to the same 'Simple' recording would be virtually impossible, since the original signals from both the MIDI and the vocals would be removed by the 'punch in', so you would have to record the whole song (MIDI and vocals) again from the beginning.

With a 'Multi Track' recording, you keep the tracks separate until the very last stage of the process, which is to mix them down to a single stereo track, ie. a 'Simple' .wav recording which can be played back on a computer or external audio player.

You can read about recording using the Tyros4 HD Audio Recorder starting from page 75 of the 'Tyros4 Owner's Manual', but for details of editing 'Multi Track' audio recordings, you need to refer to page 87 onwards of the 'Tyros4 Reference Manual', which you can download from your local Yamaha Downloads website.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:37:18 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »
Many thanks for your info Ian.Will have a go soon.