Author Topic: From the UK and new to the Tyros 5  (Read 1437 times)

Offline stitch-up

From the UK and new to the Tyros 5
« on: April 29, 2017, 04:40:32 AM »
Hi all,

My name is John and my partner is Angie. I just purchased a Tyros 5 for Angie as it's her birthday soon. We plan on opening the box this afternoon :) Super excited. The Tyros came with the speakers.

I haven't owned a keyboard since my youth and now, at the ripe old age of 64 some time has passed and things have moved on somewhat :) My last keyboard was a Technics KN1000 and I did plan on purchasing the latest Technics only to find they dropped out of the keyboard market!

I did some research and found the Tyros 5, read a lot and listened on Youtube. Just hoping I made the right choice.

Looking forward to learning from the forum and sharing some experiences and many questions :)

Thanks

John & love of my life Angie
Tyros 5 Since May 2017

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: From the UK and new to the Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
Hi John and Angie,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I know you and Angie are going to love your new Tyros 5 keyboard.  We're never too old to play our keyboards.  Music will keep you young.  I'm sure you're going to learn a great deal about your new Tyros 5 here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:
http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here who are always willing and eager to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Online MBedesem

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »
John & Angie

You are in for a treat. The Tyros sound and flexibility is superior.

The only offset is the complexity. It is really not that bad, but you have to learn where to look, and it is not always obvious.

That is something this forum is dedicated to and does well. No question is too small and we are more than willing to share our experience.

http://psrtutorial.com/index.html has tutorials, files and more. But when you are stumpted, just ask . We have all been there before.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline stitch-up

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 02:29:36 AM »
Thanks very much for the welcome :)

I know we have so much to learn and the learning must be fun :)

When I school age my parents insisted I have piano lessons - I hated them!! We didn't have a piano but a Lowry organ with massive Lesley speaker, it used to make a loud noise as it started up.

I remember learning scales and being tested by the instructor, I really didn't like it. My lessons were weekly after I returned home from school. More often than not, I'd avoid them by going to play football with my mates. Of course I regret this now!

Anyway, I've become bound by my bad habit of learning a few chords in the left hand and playing with one finger in the right! This is about where I'm at now. So, I want to break through this barrier and start learning what I used to hide from :) I've only spent an hour or so looking for some 'online' piano instructions/lessons but it's so hard to know which route to go. I wonder if anyone here could recommend?

I did view one lesson where the scales were referred to by whole notes and half notes using a numbering system of 1 to 8. 1 to 2 was a whole note, 2 to 3 a whole note, 3 to 4 a half note ..... 7 to 8 a half note etc etc. I applied this and discovered I could play the scales! Now you can see what little level of skill I have!!

I'm really looking forward to progressing and I won't avoid the hard work by running away and playing football :)

Thanks

John
Tyros 5 Since May 2017

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »
Hi John and Angie,
Welcome to this fanastic forum and congratulations on your new Tyros !
I too am from the UK, similar age to yourselves and regretted giving up on piano lessons as a child - unlike I only managed about 4 lessons though as the teacher was such a tyrant  !!

I can highly recommend this online piano teacher : Lisa Steeple - her online course is great and has helped me a lot -
I think that she offers some free lessons to start you off so you can decide for yourself - I feel that she is very supportive , has such a lovely manner and is an excellent teacher.
Here is her website :

http://www.learnpianoonline.com

Good luck and have fun !
Sue  :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:56:54 AM »
Hi John and Angie
   You certainly are in for some very enjoyable hours spent on your new Tyros 5. Keyboards are used slightly different to piano's as you have all those lovely styles to enhance your music and I found it much easier to master than a piano. I was hopeless at reading Bass Cleff and you don't really need it. Using the fingering mode of AI it will easily let you produce slashed chords which you find in some music. As you have opted to buy a keyboard I would go down the road of learning this system rather than piano lessons.

Offline zofman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
Search for the Tyros Tipsters on youtube.
They tell you everything about the Tyros features in a simple way.
I wish you a lot of fun with this great keyboard.
Jan

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
Hi John and Angie,

Congratulations on getting a fantastic keyboard. The Tyros 5 is amazing as you will gradually find out as you progress through the learning process.

You have joined a fabulous forum where everyone is so helpful and generous with their time and knowledge.

Welcome to the forums where you will find help with every aspect of your new keyboard.

Enjoy making music and don't be afraid to ask questions whenever you feel you need help.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Tyros 5 - 61
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

Offline stitch-up

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 05:43:05 AM »
Thanks to all for the welcome and offers of help :)

We're looking forward to learning how to play like Peter Baartmans :) :)
Tyros 5 Since May 2017

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
I agree with Eileen that normal piano lessons may be a waste. It is an awfully long haul to learn piano to a competent level, and not many are successful starting late in life. But the whole point of instruments like the Tyros is that they help the player like you. You will still need some basics -  You need to be able to read a simple treble clef so you can pick out the melody from a lead sheet, and develop a sufficient understanding of LH chords to provide the accompaniment. However, even on that score the instrument can help by providing a 'one finger' chord system, and there are EZ play books which simplify reading the melody using a numbering rather than a traditional system. Yes they are considered 'cheating' by some, but so what.
So I would pursue 'keyboard' rather than piano lessons, along the lines of the Scott Houston system which may not be available in the UK, but I am sure that similar systems are around. Even better, find a local teacher who can play arranger type instruments, and is willing to teach you these shortcut learning systems rather than traditional classic piano training. You are not trying to become a concert pianist, just be able to make music.
An alternative is that in the UK there is a network of clubs and meetings for keyboard hobbyists and you may be able to find one near you that will put you in touch with people who can help guide you. A few minutes with someone who knows what they are doing can be very helpful. And don't be embarrassed that these clubs are full of experts that will look down on your elementary skills, there may be some experts, but the majority probably started just like you, and will be keen to help, as they are on this forum.
One last thing, playing keyboard even at the easy levels is not an overnight thing. It takes persistence and practice. You have invested a lot, don't abandon it too early when it seems daunting, because the payoff is great.
Mike   

Offline aprilla

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:40:54 AM »
Another agree here  ;D If I was starting out with a keyboard I would learn how to read right hand notes (unless I had a really good ear, you might), timing and I'd learn to understand chords. Towards this end scales are excellent, you'll learn/hear the distance between notes and they are good exercise for the fingers LOL ... then the circle of fifths/fourths will add to the usefulness of your scales. Fun stuff!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:28:30 AM by aprilla »
S900

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
John what a Great gift to Angie  :)
Things have certainly changed since the earlier keyboards compared to the Tyros 5.
It certainly is up there on the arranger list to say the least.I'm sure by now after playing around with it and hearing it and its many many features, you and Angie will realize that you made a great choice.
Great looking keyboard,Premium sounds,nice keybed, great styles and a host of additional styles.
Hope you and Angie enjoy learning what it can do and what you learn to do with it.

Regards
Craig "Keyboardist"
http://psrtutorial.com/perf/craigKeyboardist.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:36:27 AM by Keyboardist »
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page