Author Topic: Name that keyboard  (Read 1163 times)

Offline pjd

Name that keyboard
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »
Hi --

I just posted a few new Yamaha patents at: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-patents-apr2017/

To make a short story shorter, a new patent on combined MIDI/audio accompaniment where the audio is melodic (pitched) and follows chord changes. Also, a new patent that uses near ultra-sonic sound to communicate control info (e.g., MIDI) from a tablet to a keyboard (replacing Bluetooth or WiFi radio communications).

Also, several design patents covering the Montage, Reface and PSR-S670 industrial design (i.e., the outside appearance of the box).

I couldn't associate a current Yamaha product with the picture below. Any suggestions?

Thanks -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Online Joe H

Re: Name that keyboard
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
Hi pj,

I'll only tackle the industrial design issue.  I've suggested recently in another thread that Yamaha release a Tyros replacement much like the S770 and S970 in size and weight.  The new PSRs have somewhat of a synth look to them. So... maybe this is what the new Tyros/GENOS machine will look like with a few sliders and encoders added and maybe even a Ribbon controller.

As far as your figure above, someone with good Photo Shop skills could take away the PSR speakers and add lots of controls on the Panel... kind of like the Montage    ;D  ;D

I'm personally not interested in the audio styles.  While that could mean DAW quality sound, which could be achieved with better PCM sampling (AWM3), it is more likely to create a proprietary style format making it more difficult to create our own styles or even edit them.  When you use WAV samples in a DAW, you have to sample them in different key signatures and scales which requires a LOT of memory.  We know the Montage has a lot of memory, and Yamaha may borrow from the SA2 technology to create a new audio style format with real-time waveform split and slice implementation.

The upside to a new audio style format could be that we could use the same WAV samples used by most DAWS in an easier way than currently building a Voice in the YEM software,  but then again we can currently use sf2 samples, but they still have to be formatted in the YEM Editor.    Audio styles (vs. MIDI) could also come with Cubase - Arranger integration, which is a big topic and could have its pros and cons.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:19:06 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Bachus

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Great stuff PJ...  you keep amazing us with your indepth knowledge...

Regarding the 26 key keyboard...  could it be for refaces with piano sized keys?
Maybe even a keyboard where you can exchange reface surfaces...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »
Great stuff PJ...  you keep amazing us with your indepth knowledge...

Regarding the 26 key keyboard...  could it be for refaces with piano sized keys?
Maybe even a keyboard where you can exchange reface surfaces...

THAT would be worthwhile!
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »
Thanks, Bachus! I know you keenly keep your eyes on the keyboard market. So if you haven't seen this thing, then "Well, what have we got here?"  :o

I wish more short 'boards would use an E-to-F layout. That would put middle C at the middle of a 37-key 'board. I've been playing the microKORG XL+ and Keystep lately, and I either run out of keys below middle C or above middle C when playing with two fists.

I wonder if this 2-octave keyboard is unannounced?

All the best -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
Hi Joe --

I figure that the Tyros++ is what it is at this point in time.  Time will tell.  :-\

Hey, hey, take care -- pj