Author Topic: More Gremlins  (Read 1536 times)

Offline LArmatage

More Gremlins
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
I've run into something I've never encountered before.
I put all my 'arrangements' on  as Registrations. In the Memory area, I normally have both tempo and transpose checked.

I have a song I've done in the past , and everything was fine in all 7 registrations. Now when I play it, Reg 4 and beyond all go up 1 semitone. I try to bring it down a semitone, and then I re-save that Registration, and the following ones. I play the song, and again, after reg 4 it goes up a semitone. So I used the transpose button, and those registrations won't respond to taking it down in pitch.

Any ideas, or am I losing it.

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Fred Smith

Re: More Gremlins
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
I doubt you're losing it, Larry. But the registration thinks you told it to change keys, so that's what it's doing.

To get around it, you can Freeze the transpositions. Then the registrations won't change the key.

To fix it permanently, you will need to re-memorize (and save) the registration. If you don't want registrations to change key, the simplest would be to ensure that Transpose is unchecked when you memorize.

If you still need help, just post the registration here, and we'll take a look at it for you.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
Thanks Fred.... you were right on. Unchecking Transpose fixed it

Another concern; with Transpose off, I can't get anything to transpose. I have a song that I want to take up 3 semitones, but the pitch won't move, and I've never run into that before.
Any ideas welcomed.
Thanks again Fred.

Larry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13:21 PM »
Make sure you set transpose to song if you are transposing a recorded song. Keyboard if you are recording a transpose into a song you are recording.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
Thanks Fred.... you were right on. Unchecking Transpose fixed it

Another concern; with Transpose off, I can't get anything to transpose. I have a song that I want to take up 3 semitones, but the pitch won't move, and I've never run into that before.
Any ideas welcomed.
Thanks again Fred.

You need to set Transpose Assign in Functions. Set it to Song to Transpose only the midi.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
Thanks Eileen and Fred;
I'm afraid that I am now quite uncertain of how to do this transposing; First, I have never used the settings you pointed out Eileen..... previously I have just used the main transpose buttons -left of Mixing Console- which don't seem to work now . I have had occasion  to go to the Mixing Console, tab over to Tune, and set the 3 controls (Master, Song, and keyboard.)
I'm not clear on how to take a Registration (all buttons , usually 7 or 8 in an arrangement), and bring it up or down a couple of semi-tones..... and not at all sure what function the Transpose buttons are.
If you could clarify, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »
Go to Function >Controller>Keyboard/Panel>Transpose Assign

This is where you specify what the Transpose buttons apply to.
Keyboard = only the keyboard
Song = only the midi file
Master = both

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 04:44:19 AM »
I personally do not find choosing both is the best option. If you want to set Transpose to anything you are doing on the keyboard then choose Keyboard. If you want to save to a registration then make sure you have a tick in transpose in the memory section.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
I personally do not find choosing both is the best option. If you want to set Transpose to anything you are doing on the keyboard then choose Keyboard. If you want to save to a registration then make sure you have a tick in transpose in the memory section.

Agreed

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Online jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:27:58 AM »
I set Transpose Assign to Keyboard and leave it there since that is the most commonly used setting  (for me) for playing and recording. Changing it back and forth especially when hidden in the menus is clunky and leads to confusion. So if I need to change Transpose other than Keyboard or sort out some TP gremlins I go to the Tune tab of Mixing Console and alter it directly in there rather than trying to do it all with the panel buttons.
It has the advantage of showing at a glance the status of the various transposes and how (misbehaving?) registrations are changing them without having to keep going to the menus to check the current assignment. 

John
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:31:28 AM by jwyvern »

Offline LArmatage

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »
Thanks Eileen, Fred, and John;
   You have me 'sorted out' now.

Thanks for your patience.

Latty