Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > The Next Yamaha Keyboard

Yamaha out of the arranger business?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Joe H:
I think it's a failing by Yamaha in how it markets the arranger.    A LOT of $400.00 arrangers are sold in the USA. 

The arranger is not a toy.  Particularly the newest PSR and of coarse the Tyros.  Having just purchased a Motif Rack XS, I can say the sound quality of the Motif is the same as the PSR S970... and the Tyros is better by far... it's the best sounding keyboard Yamaha makes AND the most expensive.  But I suppose the new Montage has matched the sound quality of the Tyros, aside from the motion sequencer and Super Knob stuff... which if not used thoughtfully can become just a lot of noise and sound effects.. which may or may not be considered music by some people here. 

Yamaha has made no effort to explain the architecture of the arranger or how the musician can use the arranger to compose music.  These are complicated machines and yet Yamaha offer no help... we are on our own!  Yamaha likes to hype the Motif (and now the Montage) to the hilt.  The arranger and Motif are equal to my way of thinking... they just operate differently and each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

I think a NEW kind of arranger is coming... but it could be just wishful thinking on my part.   We will know sooner or later.  We've talked a lot about the mystery GENOS.  Our engineer friend pj as noted that Yamaha left a lot of room in the S970 design for future expansion, and Yamaha continues to apply for new patents which are costly.  They are up to something... and I'm sure most of us will like it... once "IT" hits the streets.

;D

Joe H

frankmusik:
Yamaha Tyros ist the most important and biggest seller in ALL Yamaha instruments... So Yamaha has no choice to modify and optimize the keyboard line....

In Europe there are a lot more tyros player than all motif/montage player ever will be....

Greetings from Germany
Frank excited for the "next"

soundphase:

--- Quote from: frankmusik on April 19, 2017, 07:24:53 AM ---Frank excited for the "next"

--- End quote ---
Hi Frank

Do you already know the "next" ?  ;)

Soundphase

EileenL:
It is the same in the UK,
  Arrangers are used far more than work stations. Lots of us go out gigging with just Tyros alone and they love it.

pjd:
Source: NAMM Global Report 2015

Sales Statistics for 2014, USA market

Category                       Units            Retail value
    -----------------------------  ---------------  -------------
    Acoustic guitars               1,499,000 units  $678,000,000
    Electric guitars               1,132,000 units  $506,000,000
    Digital pianos                   135,000 units  $165,000,000
    Keyboard synthesizers             81,000 units  $104,000,000
    Controller keyboards             160,000 units  $ 32,000,000
    Portable keyboards under $199    656,000 units  $ 64,000,000
    Portable keyboards over $199     350,000 units  $123,000,000