Author Topic: Old old keyboard...  (Read 695 times)

Old old keyboard...
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:11 AM »
Well was looking on ebay the otherday and came across a PSR-6700 (circa 1991).

It had a few watchers, but as listed for spares or repair it was stuck at 99p 30 minutes before it sold, so me being me (like old boards to tinker with), put a bit of £23 on it, low and behold I won it, for £3.20!!

I thought the seller wouldn't sell at that price, but low and behold he did. So picked it up yesterday as only 30 minutes drive from mine, well when I say picked, more like put my back out, good god is it heavy, I thought my old 9000 was a brick!!

Anyways got it home, and yes it does need a repair, at some point someone dropped a drink on the keys and it ate 2 diodes under the keys, but that's it. So its going to cost me £3.99 for 50 switching diodes (keep some spare for my other boards) and it will be up and running, as using my controller keyboard it works perfect.

One interesting feature I wish they'd put an option of on my s900 is a function called interactive accompaniment.

This feature is great if your playing and for some reason have to leave the keyboard, or your wanting a couple of slurps of your beer, it will start playing itself, not just backing, but adlibbing in the key your playing.

But unfortunately, the board won't be staying as when it's all fixed up, its being donated to a local church that has a keyboard group.

The following users thanked this post: Ray Eyden

Offline SciNote

Re: Old old keyboard...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:53:03 AM »
Looks like a nice keyboard!  Glad you can get it working with just a couple diodes.  I'll say that some of those classic keyboards have a character that just seems to be missing in today's equipment, despite the fantastic capabilities of modern electronics.  One thing that I like is that, with many of the older models, there are fewer menu-type functions, so that most functions can be controlled directly from the front panel.

I've been keeping an eye out for a PSR-510 -- a 1993 model that I owned back around that time, and one I almost feel like I never really "gave it a chance."  But I don't know -- I'd have nowhere to put it if I bought one, and those buggers actually seem to be appreciating in value, at least on eBay!  A few years ago, I'd see them for about $150-175, but now, the ones I'm seeing there are going for about $225 or so.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:54:34 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline aprilla

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
Oh you lucky thing you! I had a 5700 and I loved it until it blew up (yes, it blew up, transformer issue). It was my favourite keyboard, we worked really well together.
Actually I saw someone looking for a 5700 lately (here?), it made me want it again too.
Lucky lucky where ever it ends up and I am sure they will be appreciative. Well done for saving it.

But heavy? That's not even close!  ... mind yourself LOL
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:54:01 AM by aprilla »
S900

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
Well update on the 6700.

Got the diodes, stripped the unit and fitted a new key that needed replacing. All cleaned up and looking like new.

I love the interactive accompaniment feature and wish there was a similar feature on the s900 I have.

And the custom voice feature using the waves and fm is great, think I might have to keep it.

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
Very well done, Simond.  I believe you should keep the PSR-6700, because you deserve it after restoring the keyboard to a useful state.  :) :) :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page