Author Topic: New MX88BK Synth  (Read 950 times)

Offline SeaGtGruff

New MX88BK Synth
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:08:12 AM »
I found out through another site that Yamaha is releasing an 88-key version of their updated MX61 and MX49 synths. My understanding is that the stores where it's already in stock are supposed to be keeping it under wraps until the 20th of this month-- but Amazon already has a page for it:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MX88BK-Keyboard-Production-Station/dp/B06XSRMGM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492337747&sr=8-1&keywords=MX88BK
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Joe H

Re: New MX88BK Synth
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
I continue to be amazed by Yamaha's actions on recycling their technology.  I would rather have seem them produce a 2-space Motif XF sound module (allowing for a graphic display like on the keyboard version).

;D

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:52:49 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
Everything old is new again... or is it: Everything new is old, again?

Over the last several months to a year, I've been sitting on my hands debating whether to get a PSR-EW400 and an MX49, or maybe a PSR-S670 or DGX-660, or maybe just keep saving up for a MOXF6 or MOXF8. I'm not much into 49-note keyboards, and I certainly don't need yet another 61-note keyboard, but I wouldn't mind getting a 76-note or 88-note keyboard. I'd rather have the sound engine, onboard sequencer, and expandability of a MOXF, but an MX88BK with GHS keys would be a great alternative to a DGX-660 at only slightly more cost. :)
Michael Rideout

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
Michael,

The thing to know about the MX iteration of the Motif is that the Voices are not truly the same as the Motif XS, Motif XF or MOXF... which all have 355MB of Wave ROM.  The MX series only has 166MB of Wave ROM.  So the Voices are not the same.  I think Mega Voices and XA  (SA) Voices are missing and of coarse thousands of arps are missing as well many other features.

The keyboard with the best screen display is the Motif XF... which is much like the current S970 and Tyros screens.  The screen on MX keyboards in particular is minimal.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:26:01 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Bachus

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Michael,

The thing to know about the MX iteration of the Motif is that the Voices are not truly the same as the Motif XS, Motif XF or MOXF... which all have 355MB of Wave ROM.  The MX series only has 166MB of Wave ROM.  So the Voices are not the same.  I think Mega Voices and XA  (SA) Voices are missing and of coarse thousands of arps are missing as well many other features.

The keyboard with the best screen display is the Motif XF... which is much like the current S970 and Tyros screens.  The screen on MX keyboards in particular is minimal.

Joe H

Motif XF and MOXF have over 700 MB wave rom...
Its one of the few things that changed with the upgrade from XS to XF..

For the same money of the MX 88, you can probably get a used MOXF 8, which is a real deal...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
Yes, I would prefer MOXF8 over MX88, although it costs nearly $700 more new. I haven't seen any used ones for sale in my area, but I keep Craigslist bookmarked and check it at least a few times a week.
Michael Rideout

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 05:50:23 AM »
Hi Michael --

Another great find! I'm amazed at what you dig out of the Web.

I think the MX88BK is the replacement for the MM8. The Yamaha USA site still shows the MM8 as a current product and it's still possible to order the MM8 from on-line retailers. The MM8 has a GHS keyboard and has a street price around $900 USD.

The MM8's price hits the sweet spot of a GHS keyboard around $1,000 (new). The MX88BK will hit the same spot. Yamaha's strategy of offering product across a spectrum of prices and buyers.

The MM8 is a weird critter. The UI is more like a PSR-S6xx arranger than a Motif. I think Yamaha took a PSR-S6xx, added a few Motif samples and voices and unleashed style phrases as arpeggios. Even the internal hardware resembles an S6xx arranger.

I often wondered why it was still being sold, but it does offer a GHS synth-like keyboard for about $900.

Keep on digging!

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 06:06:21 AM »
Oops, I forgot to mention that Yamaha is offering a $200 rebate on the MM8:

http://usa.yamaha.com/about_yamaha/corporate_information/product_rebates_and_promotions/

Offer valid April 1, 2017 through June 30, 2017.

-- pj