Author Topic: PSR 670 USB problem  (Read 664 times)

Offline Patroya

PSR 670 USB problem
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:55:37 AM »
Hi. I am a new member to the group I recently bought a PSR670 for my granddaughter
to learn to play the keyboard. She is doing fine and making good progress.
We want to add further styles and save styles to and from the keyboard through the USB port
but there seems to be a problem.
when a USB stick is inserted a message appears saying  " an over current error occurred for the connected
USB storage device remove and press ok"
 Can anybody give some clues to why this should happen?
Would be most grateful.
Thanks
Patroya.

Matrix

Re: PSR 670 USB problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:35:09 AM »
Is it just with that USB stick or are you getting it with others too ?

Matrix

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:01 AM »
May be the USB wants Formatting...If you can't do it in the keyboard, do it on the Computer I think it needs to be FAT32
T2 + NP30

Offline Patroya

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
Hi, Graham/Matrix.
It's just with the USB. Have tried different ones but the same result.
I will try formatting a USB and try that.
I was told you have to use Yamaha USB UDWLOI but very expensive?

Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »
Found this article on the Yamaha Website, Hopefully it will help you with your USB stick problem.

"The purpose of this article is to help you find a flash drive that is compatible with your instrument.  All you should need to do is go to google and type in '4 gig flash drive'.  Practically every flash drive in the results will be compatible.  The only thing to watch out for is super big drives (stay under 8 gig) and "special features" such as memory compression or portable browser utilities built in.  You will not see much of this in your results, but it is possible that an enthusiastic salesperson at the local retail store will want to upgrade you to the "latest new thing" in flash drive technology.  You don't want the latest new thing; small, simple and inexpensive is what you want.  If you stick with small, simple and inexpensive, you will likely find that every flash drive is compatible with your Instrument".

Matrix

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
Hi Patroya,

The Yamaha UD-WL01 is not a USB memory device!  It is a USB wireless LAN adapter that allows you to connect the keyboard wirelessly to an Apple iPad, iPod touch or iPhone.

So unless you want to do this, don't buy one of these hoping that it will solve your problem!

If you are only getting the error with one particular device, then try another device.

However if you are getting the same error with different USB memory devices, then there is probably something wrong with your keyboard, and you should contact the seller or Yamaha about the problem.

Just one thing, do you have anything connected to the 'USB TO HOST' socket (the 'squarish' one)?  If you do, try disconnecting this and then check the memory device in the 'USB TO DEVICE' socket again.  Do you still get the error?  This might be useful information to pass on to Yamaha.

Out of interest I have just tried several different sized USB memory devices (up to 32 GB) in my Tyros4 with an in-line  USB voltage/current checker attached, and none of the pen drives (memory sticks) drew more than 100 mA, even the largest,  and even when data was being written to, or deleted from the device.

I also tried a 250 GB mechanical hard disk drive, which drew around 250 mA when not being accessed, and up to 470 mA when accessed.  When initially connected, the current was larger (500 mA) for a second or so while the disk spins up from standstill, but even this did not cause a problem.

The specification of USB2 requires 500 mA of current available in total, and your keyboard should be capable of supplying that.
So if you are using a USB pen drive, it's current needs should be well within what a USB2 socket should be capable of supplying, and if it can't support even one pen drive, then this suggests a problem!

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector