Author Topic: S.O.S. I still can NOT save a 3rd party style on my S910  (Read 714 times)

Offline dont811

S.O.S. I still can NOT save a 3rd party style on my S910
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Hi,  I still LOVE & enjoy my S-910 yet,
   I'm having a  LOT of trouble trying how to :
1) delete .wav file sgs I've recorded in order to make room on the internal RAM
    (I deleted only one yesterday-that was it. the 910 blocked my other attempts.)
which i believe is ONLY 300KB.can that be only 300KB ??
and most v.i.p.:
2) I get what i consider to be GREAT styles off our PSR forum >>i.e.  Onacimus'
Conversions.

From my desktop PC,   I save on a thumb drive>>I load into my 910 using the

same FD via  USB>>
I tweak it ALL to my liking (instruments-pan-EQ-ect)
I go to save>>and I get ONE of TWO (2) RESPONCES
either I have no room left on the internal memory ram  or
it saves to a USER space...then when I replace the "transport flashdrive (FD)

with my main 64GB FD... I get some generic style and all the work i put in is

LOST !  Bummer huh ? !
Please direct me to any step-by-step examples of how to delete then ADD &

SAVE my fav styles so i can create new & rockin' registrations.   If it takes

anyone too long to type, just point out the pages in the S910 Manual   and/or the

pages here in our forum which will allow me to finally TEACH myself & LEARN 

how to do it. THANK YOU, Don T.
Thanks again 4 all your help.S-910; MU128;  Proteus1&2/XR; Proteus2000;SC-55; KORG I-30; TC-HeliconVoiceLive2; Hammond X5; Leslie760
http://www.youtube.com/user/donscaptvideo
I try to be a Musician Now ya know y I'm so crazy ;)

Offline Joe H

Re: S.O.S. I still can NOT save a 3rd party style on my S910
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:36:47 PM »
Don,

On the issue of editing and saving styles.  I always save to the USB thumb drive NEVER to the internal User Drive.  The User Drive is good for temporary editing and copying of styles and Multi Pads but keeping everything on the USB thumb drive makes it is easy to do backups to the computer.

Not sure how you could have gotten a WAV file on the keyboard User Drive unless you copied it there intentionally.   When you record WAV audio it writes to the USB drive.  BTW... I always use a dedicated thumb drive for audio recording.  I use a Kingston 8GB DataTraveler USB 3.0 / 2.0 drive for the audio recording because it is a little faster than most drives and less likely to stop as sometimes happens with many USB thumb drives when using the WAV recorder.

Not sure what the issue is with not being able to delete audio files from the internal User Drive.  I would copy or move all other files from it... song, style and Multi Pad files, then see if you can delete the WAV files.

Best to use only your USB thumb drive for all files.

On saving styles... Yamaha requires us to name then navigate to where we want the file and then confirm our SAVE before it is actually saved.  So it is possible you never actually saved the style... or... it got saved somewhere other than where you THOUGHT you were saving to.  There are quite a few button pushes to saving a style file.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline dont811

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »
Joe, Thanks for the quick response.  I don't remember all the details as to how the .wav files got inside the internal ram. I think it was 1 of those days I felt really good & didn't make a lot mof mistakes so I hit the rec. button and just saved whatever I recorded then used them to play during breaks. I saved your response & will print it along w/ others after sending this along.  I'm presently using a thumbnail 64GB FD that i may have loaded MP3s I recorded on my Tascam Neo or desktop.
I also had begun to playback my "Production Songs" on my Microsoft Surface RT w/Win8.1.  i also have used this to store all my digitized sheet music that I store inside homemade Directorys labled A-Z on my Surface desktop. I know it's probably the hardest way--but it has worked.
   (ready to laugh now ?)  What doesn't work is  i have a rockin'  .kar file that I saved along with the TEMPO, Transpose settings, tweaked it nicely and SAVED on my USB (upper right hand corner it reads USB)   then i go to call it up--wrong tempo, wrong keys- my Yamaha does everything but LAUGH outloud at me.  But as soon as I rest  my eyes from here-I'm trying YOUR suggestions & those of the others who answered WALLY's question back in 2012.  Thanks Joe.
DonT

PS>I want you to know that anytime & every time I make a change in anyone of the 8 registrations--i push the MEM & 1-8 and then J and save to the regi name.  i don't mind pushing a lot of buttons as long as something is getting SAVED & b becomes usuable.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:00:40 PM by dont811 »
Thanks again 4 all your help.S-910; MU128;  Proteus1&2/XR; Proteus2000;SC-55; KORG I-30; TC-HeliconVoiceLive2; Hammond X5; Leslie760

Offline dont811

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
I've n ow gone to Fred Smith's  LESSONS PAGE on Registrations.  I'll watch the videos.  I tend to retain M ORE from a video than re-reading (which makes me tired). Videos, where were they when my Dad couldn't tell me about the birds & the bees...lol.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/regist/05regVideo.html

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
Hi Don,

I think that you are getting confused with the maximum size of a MIDI Song file, which is 300 KB.  This is because 300 KB of internal memory is reserved for recording, editing and playback of a MIDI song.  A MIDI is loaded into this memory when you select it, but because it is volatile RAM, the contents are lost when you turn off the power.  This memory is not part of the non volatile flash memory which makes up the USER drive.

The internal non volatile flash memory of the S910, most of which is available as the USER drive is 2.4 MB.

However this is still very small and is probably best used for temporary storage, instead using a connected USB storage device as your main storage drive.

You need to be aware of the distinction between a MIDI song and an Audio ('.wav') song.
When Yamaha refers to a 'Song', they mean a MIDI song, and not an Audio one!  This can be confusing until you get used to 'Yamaha speak'!

You say that you have deleted one '.wav' song from your USER drive, but Audio ('.wav') files can only be recorded to, or played  back from a USB drive.  You can't do either of these things to the USER drive, and I don't believe that the keyboard OS would allow you to copy an existing .wav file to the USER drive, so if you have deleted a song from the USER drive, I suspect that you have actually deleted a MIDI song!

Because of the relatively small amount of space on the USER drive, many people reserve it just for temporary storage or workspace when developing a song or style.  They then use a USB drive as their 'primary' storage drive typically leaving it connected all the time.   I would usually recommend this as the best way to work with keyboards with limited internal User memory. You can get very low profile USB drives which don't stick out much from the keyboard case if you are worried about it getting knocked and damaged.

If you want to make changes to a style such as the parameters that you mention, although you make the changes from Mixing Console, to keep the changes, you must then save the file from within 'Style Creator'.  You will see a 'SAVE' button on all the various Style Creator pages, except for the 'BASIC' page, where you first need to press 'EXIT to reveal it. 

On my Tyros4, pressing Save always opens the display on the USER (drive) page, wherever the style was loaded from, but I can then select a different drive (USB or also on my T4 HDD) and can then save the style to the drive/folder of my choice.  I assume that this is the dame on your S910.

Note that when you press SAVE from the Style Creator page, this just opens the selection screen. The style has not been saved at this point!

To save the edited version of the style you then need to press 'SAVE' on the selection screen display, after changing the drive and folder if necessary. You can then change the name of the style if you wish, and it is when you press 'OK'  from this name window that the style is actually saved.

Since the modified style is saved to the storage location that you have specified, if you save to a USB drive, then when you want to load that modified version, obviously the same USB drive must be connected, and you must select it from this!

You can't display all files of the various types (eg. styles, MIDI songs, voices, etc) currently saved on the USER drive all in one list because the selection screens will only list files of one type, depending on the heading at the top of the screen. So if you open the Style selection screen, it will say 'STYLE' at the top and only list styles, no other types. So to see exactly what is saved on the User drive, you need to open the selection screen of each different file type.  You can then delete or cut/paste files to USB to create space on the USER drive.

As an alternative you can connect your keyboard to a computer via the 'USB to Host' socket on the back of the keyboard, and by using the downloadable Yamaha program 'MusicSoft Downloader' you can display all folders and files on the USER drive, and manage them accordingly.  However this may not be worth the extra effort if you haven't already got the program!

Regards

Ian 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:24:30 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline dont811

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:16:11 AM »
Ian, Thank you very much. I printed it out. Your explanation taught me a lot as did Joe's . DonT