Author Topic: El 60...Update !!  (Read 1763 times)

Offline yamamans

El 60...Update !!
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Hello to all,well I'm progressing slowly with the setting on my recent organ  acquisition...But can any of you organ guys tell me how to store the settings (EL60)....I would sincerely appreciate some guidance , thanks for looking ;)

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: El 60...Update !!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
Do you mean storing settings to a Registration Memory, or saving the Registration Memories to a disk?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: yamamans

Offline yamamans

Re: El 60...Update !! Registration memory
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »
Hello Michael,many thanks for your reply,and apology's for not being clear on my Question regarding setting onto the organ memory... Certainly nothing as involved as putting anything onto disc..... LOL ::)
It's just that each time i set the organ up i have to start from scratch .. Arghhhhhh​ !!
Many thanks, Chris..👍🎹.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:11:49 AM »
I don't know if you have solved your problem yet (perhaps from another forum), but here is a paragraph from page 4 of the EL60 manual which might help...

"Turning the Electone off erases all panel settings you have made.  When the Electone is turned on, Basic Registration 1 is automatically selected. If you have made panel settings you wish to keep, save them to Registration Memory (see page 54) before turning the Electone off.  You can, however, restore the panel settings that were made before the Electone was last turned off.  In doing this, first be careful NOT to press any panel buttons (excepting those in Basic Registration) after you turn the Electone back on.  Then, to restore the previous settings, hold down the M (Memory) button and press the D (Disable) button".

Presumably the panel settings are constantly being saved in a non volatile memory so the settings as they were when the power was last turned off are retained in this.

However I don't know if this memory is flash (which does not require power) or battery backed RAM.

I have an older model (MC600) which uses battery backed RAM to save registrations in their buttons during power off, but the battery is now dead and so nothing is saved.  If your EL-60 also uses this method for storing settings, then it's battery may also be dead or near the end of it's life.  So if you can't get the above procedure to work to restore the settings, it may be because of the battery.

As an alternative, if the MDR floppy disk recorder is still working, you could save the settings to the registration buttons and then save the button contents to the MDR.

If you haven't got a copy of the EL-60 manual, you can download a PDF version (image only) from this link...

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=EL60

Regards

Ian

Offline yamamans

Re: El 60...Update !!+
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
Hi Ian, many,many thanks for giving me the information i requested ref EL60 settings to memory,well your instructions were spot on..So i cannot thank you enough.
When i bought the organ it came with a pletherer of pure recorded discs,i just cant believed just how much the organ has progressed,that's in comparison to my old Electone HS 7.
Apparently,some of the tracks on these discs are MOC..And others are not...Is there any reason for this, apology's for being a pain !!...Any advice gladly accepted.. THANKYOU ;)

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:20:47 AM »
MOC (Melody On Chord) is similar to the Harmony/Echo function on today's Yamaha arrangers.

Most people would use tend to use this effect moderately, but not all the time, so maybe Yamaha felt that the some of the songs on the disk would be better without it, but I don't really know!

Maybe those which are MOC enabled can use the embedded chords to generate MOC for notes that you play on the upper keyboard, if you play along with them with the UK song track turned off!  Try one and see.  If the MOC in such songs is generated in real time (rather than the harmony notes being recorded in the song), you should be able to turn MOC on and off at will when playing along with them on the UK.

Regards

Ian

Offline yamamans

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
Hi Ian,many thanks for your input regarding MOC...I will endeavour to try out the very welcome suggestions you have given, much appreciated...I will keep you posted how i progress.. ;)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »
Hi yamamans,

Glad you are enjoying your newly acquired EL60.

A big change from your keyboard.

I had an EL70 before the organ I have now (Yamaha AR100) and enjoyed it very much. I would think that the EL60 is very similar.

It will take a bit of time to get used to all the functions but that will make it more interesting and enjoyable.

Best wishes

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Tyros 5 - 61
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

Offline yamamans

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
Many thanks for your input Trevor,and yes i just love the absolutely beautiful quality sounds of the EL60, besides  the bum "notes that i inadvertently play.. LOL :(
Many thanks once again to all of you who a helping me to achieve note perfect piece
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:33:39 AM by yamamans »

Offline yamamans

New addition !!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Hi to all,just to say apology's for recent lack of contribution...(boring complicated reasons!! ::)
Anyway,I just wanted to say that the EL60 is great and that I'm progressing (slowly)
And me now about to embark on another mission....I getting a Beautiful Yamaha HS 8..!!...YIPPY ! ;D...
It's in great shape and complete,it's being delivered in the next few weeks..can't wait,I used to own a HS7 but stupidly got rid of it!!....anyway,I will keep you all posted...(keep the music playing.. ;)

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
I own two Yamaha HS-8T's, Chris.  If you need any help with it when it arrives, please let me know.

I purchased my original HS-8T in 1987, the first year they were made.  If yours comes equipped with the Yamaha Music Disk Recorder MDR-2, just let me know.  I have a lot of performance and sequence disks I know you would love to have.

I uploaded 7 of the original books, that came with the organ, to the Charter Members boards quite some time ago.  Each of these books comes with a sequencer disk, which you can load and play along with.

This is a great sounding organ and I play it still today.  One thing I miss on my Tyros 4 is the two level keyboard, like the HS-8T contains.

My files would not mean anything to those not owning one of these organs, so I will share them with you, in private, if you so desire them.

Have fun with this excellent organ, Chris.  :) :) :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline yamamans

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Hi Roger(ref :mdr recorder)....many thanks for you reply and offer of discs....I'm not sure if the HS8 has this attachment,however it seems pretty obvious  that you rate having one !!...if the HS8 doesn't have a recorder do you know if they are still obtainable ?+any idea of cost ...please !!
And many thanks for your very kind offer of material to play along to.
I will send you my email via a private message(if I can find how to utilise the psr tutorial.. LOL
I'm hoping to get the organ delivered within the next few weeks...its a bit frustrating really,the guy who presently owns it is on a months vacation...then I've got to arrange transport... pretty heavy !!!
Thanks again Roger,and stay in touch. ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:21:50 PM by yamamans »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
Hi Chris,

To my knowledge, they don't sell the MDR-2 recorders any longer.  I do see them on eBay occasionally.  I'm almost certain your organ will come with one installed to the midi port, unless for some unforeseen reason the present owner didn't want one, but that would be a big mistake in my mind.  This recorder uses the old 3 1/2" floppy disk technology.

I have your email address, as it's in your forum profile.  All forum member's email addresses can be found in their profile or by clicking on the Envelope below their Avatar.

Yes, the organ is a beast in weight.  When and if I ever want to move my two organs, I use a Forearm Forklift with the help of one of my sons.  This makes moving anything heavy a breeze.  Here's a link to this product:

http://www.forearmforklift.com/

Yes, Chris, I'll stay in touch with you.  Please let me know when it arrives.  I can tell you for certain you are going to have a lot of fun with this organ.  Yes, it's older technology but it's still a fantastic organ.

I do have a few songs on my PSR Performer's page played with this organ.  The song name will be followed by (Electone HS).

https://www.psrtutorial.com/perf/rogerBrenizer.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline yamamans

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
Hi Roger,many thanks for the information regarding the "forearm forklift loader"it looks like it could be a great help, especially with the lifting of the HS8...I will try and source a set over here in West Wales.UK.
Many thanks also for the personal email facility, I'm sure that I will be requiring a good few questions answered  regarding the HS8...!!
Many thanks once again Roger,and i will certainly keep you posted on developments.
Best regards, Chris.