Author Topic: Any solution for a 3rd layered voice?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Mendel

Any solution for a 3rd layered voice?
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
Hello guys!

I'm just curious to
know what I should do
if I need a 3rd layer voice?

Thank you 😊

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Any solution for a 3rd layered voice?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
If you mean a voice with three layers, I think you need to use MIDI for that.

You can create all sorts of splits and layers by sending the keyboard's Note events to a DAW and then back to the keyboard. The way I do it is to send channel 1 to the DAW, then send the data back to the keyboard on other channels, filtering each channel's data-- and possibly transposing it, as well-- based on a range of notes. The details of where and how this is done will depend on the DAW.

You may or may not be able to do this without having to go through a DAW, because XG includes Multi-Part messages which might be able to accomplish this. Joe H can probably tell you whether it can be done, and if so, how to do it.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Mendel

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
Thank you for the reply! But I don't really know about DAWS and don't even know
What they do (I have a lot of homework to catch up ;)), Also I have a Chromebook
Not a PC so I guess I'm kind of stuck - unless I can do this on my S970

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 06:07:35 PM »
I'll look to see if there are any suitable DAWs for Chromebooks that can do this. From one post I found, it appears that FL Studio Mobile might run on a Chromebook, but I'm not sure if that's correct and-- if it is-- whether FL Studio Mobile can be used to create splits and layers. If not, there might be other options.
Michael Rideout

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
One possibility that I'd forgotten about would be to connect a MIDI cable from your keyboard's MIDI Out port to its MIDI In port, so the keyboard can send MIDI to itself. A short 1-foot MIDI cable would be ideal for this.

Then you can go into your keyboard's MIDI settings and tell it to transmit the Right 1 part over one of the MIDI channels, but to send only the Note events.

When the keyboard receives the Note events back over the MIDI channel, it will play them with whatever Bank/Program you've selected for that channel. Probably the easiest way to set a given voice (Bank/Program combination) for the channel would be to program the Multi Pads to send the desired Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change events.
Michael Rideout

Offline Mendel

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
Thank you for the response!