Author Topic: CVP-709 Set up  (Read 843 times)

Offline Gav

CVP-709 Set up
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
Hi,
Just upgraded from a CVP-509 to a CVP-709PE and wondered if anyone else who has a 709 thinks the factory settings provide a significantly different overall effect to the older 509 factory settings.
If I forget Piano Room for  the moment, it seems that the behaviour of the accompaniment section is very different - I appreciate that the set up is key but I do not remember having to modify any settings on the 509.

Any body else have a similar experience?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:00:44 AM by Gav »

Offline musicmanrgd

Re: CVP-709 Set up
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
Hi Gav
Not sure what settings you are talking about, we recently upgraded the piano from a CVP107  to a CVP 709  at the church I attend. The only setting I have had to adjust is the EQ to reduce the bass response a bit.
I also had a CVP 407 at home and once again the only thing I can remember adjusting was the EQ  and the IAC.
The CVP709 does sound very different to the 400/500 series but once you get used to it you realise how good it really is.

Regards
Roy

Offline Gav

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
Hi Roy,
Appreciate your comments.
Basically, I seem to struggle with getting the Accompaniment set up correctly which never seemed to be problem with the 509.

I really like the overall sounds Peter Baartmans gets on the You Tube video headed "Yamaha Clavinova CVP600 Series Demo Part 1" (a Keysound video).
In particular the effect he gets at
43 seconds onward using Voice:  Concert Grand Style: On Broadway and also
2 mins 56 secs using Voice:  Ballad Soprano  Style: Gospel Ballad

He seems to play only occasional chords in the left hand, an interesting melody on the right but manages to get a continuous backing effect.
I recognise he has very great musical skills but I don't seem able to get a similar reaction.

The other issue is how best to set things in the Mixer e.g. Compression, EQ etc

Best regards

G

Offline musicmanrgd

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Hi Gav
Yes Peter Bartmans is an awesome musician, I have just watched the keysound video, the style Peter is using is a freestyle which means it is not as restricted to timing as normal styles are. Peter is using left of the split point to play the chord and trigger the style then using both hands to the right of the split point to play the piano part around the chord selected, it is a technique that requires a bit of practice but it is worth the effort.
Apologies if you already know this I can't remember if the 509 had freestyles.
I think EQ and compressor settings are a matter of trial and error, what is right for us in a church hall won't necessarily be correct for home use. It may be a good idea to do a recording of your playing on the instrument then while playing back the recording play around with the master EQ until you find a good sound for you.
You mention you struggle to get the accompaniment set up correctly, do you mean it is to loud or soft in relation to the lead instruments? You can adjust this in the mixer.

Good luck
Roy

Offline Gav

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
Roy,

Yes, 509 did have free styles.
Mostly it is around chord fingering and the way accompaniment behaves that the 709 "seems" to be so different to the 509.

Also, it seems that the left voice is always off in the home screen - there is a voicemail selected but it is not on in the home screen.

You saying the 709 sounds very different is encouraging - it is true the more I play it the better it has started to sound?

Regards

G

Offline musicmanrgd

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
Hi Gav

We have had our 709 for a few months now, I was not sure at first that I particularly liked the sound but like you the more I play it the more impressed I am with it.
I think we get so used to the sound of a particular instrument that we have been happy with, when we upgrade we for some reason expect it to sound the same as the old one which sort of defeats the object.
Left hand sounds are by default switched off you can obviously store your own settings in the registration memory.

Regards
Roy

Offline Gav

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
Roy,

Appreciate your reassuring comments.

G

Offline mikf

• Global Moderator
  • PSR 3000 : Yamaha CP33 : Shigeru Grand : CVP705
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
Gav
Its not clear from your comments whether you are saying the styles sound different, or respond differently. I have a 605 and have played the 709 and not noticed any difference in the way the styles respond to fingering or chords, between the two, or for that matter the Tyros or PSR range going back many models. So not sure what you are experiencing, but I don't think it should 'play' differently. Yes, it may 'sound' different because there have been voice, style and sound system upgrades, but they are not drastic.
If you think it responds differently to your playing, then maybe you need to check that you have set up the fingering and split points to suit the way you play. I am not familiar with the 509, but it is possible that more set up options were introduced in the 709 than available on the earlier model, and you need to go through that. Its pretty straightforward to do this using the touch screen, but the actual settings you want depend on how you play i.e. full keyboard, split keyboard, full fingered, fingered on bass etc.
Mike

Offline Gav

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »
Mike
It is the way it responds. When I explained my concern to the extremely helpful dealer he told me to change the Stop ACMP to fixed from off in the Playback Style icon in the Menu - but it does not stay that way. Will have to select for individual registrations.
Problem at the moment is there are so many things one can adjust that unless you do them one at a time you are never quite sure which are good changes vs bad changes.
It is almost as if the 509 factory default set up was very good but the 709 needs to be "set up" before use. Equally, it seems to behave differently for all the chord fingering options compared to the way the 509 did.

Additional aspects like compression, EQ are things I never adjusted on the 509 but not sure how they should be set to start with. Even the iAC (previously iAFC) now has much less adjustment as does reverb.

Am attending an Yamaha Experts Workshop next week which I am hoping will shed light on what I am doing wrong.

I even loaded some of my old 509 registrations on the 709 - and they seem to behave very differently on the 709.

G

Offline mikf

• Global Moderator
  • PSR 3000 : Yamaha CP33 : Shigeru Grand : CVP705
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »
I have not seen any problem with the default set up on the 605 or the 709, or that they behave any differently from any other Yamaha I have played, and I also own a psr3000 which dates from a long time ago! Maybe there is a difference to the older CVP which explains why you hear a change, but its impossible to know without sitting with you and understanding what you are playing and hearing. Hopefully you can get it resolved by sitting with the Yamaha experts as you plan.
Mike