Author Topic: PSR S770- tempo issues  (Read 646 times)

Offline mohanv

PSR S770- tempo issues
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:29:47 AM »
The keyboard tempo is not maintaining its BPM tempo correctly as compared to other tempo based soft instruments. Is anybody facing this issue?

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR S770- tempo issues
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
In the keyboard's MIDI settings there's an option called "Clock Ext" that tells the keyboard to use an external MIDI clock signal; if you select it, you'll need to have the keyboard connected to your computer and have the computer software sending its MIDI clock signals to the keyboard.

Or you can do it the other way around-- let the keyboard use its internal MIDI clock, and tell the software on your computer to use the external MIDI clock signals that are coming from the keyboard.

Keeping everything in sync is always a problem when using multiple MIDI instruments (whether hardware-based or software-based), which is why MIDI instruments and software include an option to use an external MIDI clock signal. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline mohanv

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:11:02 AM »
Let me re-phrase my querying and explain it with an example-

What I am saying is that the keyboard tempo is not maintaining its BPM tempo correctly as compared to other tempo based soft instruments.

To further explain with an example -

I start a tempo style on the keyboard at a particular tempo - say 120 bpm.
Then I start the rhythm on my ipad with the same tempo(120 BPM) and I start it in a manner that the bar timing and time signature is perfect between the keyboard and the ipad and both are perfectly in sync, but only for some time. Within minutes, we can sense that the keyboard tempo is going very slightly faster than the ipad and the difference in the tempo of the keyboard and ipad keeps increasing as they both play longer.

I have also tried playing Keyboard style with my DAW metronome - same result.

On the other hand, ipad and DAW metronome keep on playing in sync for hours.

Pl do help

I hope I have made myself clear.

Offline Bill H

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
Even though both instruments are "ticking" at 120 bpm, it's almost a certainty that neither of them is exactly 120 bpm.

It's the same with two clocks. Both might be set and started at the same instant, but eventually they will drift slowly (or not so slowly if they're cheap! :) apart.

As SeaGtGruff said, the standard solution is to sync the systems, using either as a master and the other as a slave. This is typical in the music industry if you want to keep things in sync.

Hope this heps...

Bill

Experience is what you don't have until just after you needed it...

Offline mohanv

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:00:38 PM »
Thanks Bill.
Is there a way to create master slave connection between psr 770 and iPad?

Btw, My earlier old PSR 1000 used to not have this issue at all.

Thanks.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
You can connect your PSR-S770 to your iPad using Apple's Camera Connection Kit. (Yamaha also makes a connector, but it costs more than Apple's Camera Connection Kit.) I do this with my PSR-E/YPT models from time to time.

Or, if you get a Bluetooth MIDI adapter for your PSR-S770, you can connect to the iPad via a wireless Bluetooth connection. Yamaha makes two of these, a USB Bluetooth adapter and a MIDI Bluetooth adapter. The USB version has to be plugged into a power socket, then connected to the keyboard's USB To Host port using a standard USB cable. In contrast, the MIDI version looks like a short MIDI cable and you just plug each end into one of the keyboard's MIDI ports (i.e., the cable goes from MIDI Out to MIDI In). I imagine the MIDI version is more convenient, since you don't need to run a USB cable from the back of the keyboard to a plug in a wall socket, but that's just my opinion. I have no experience with either one.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443