Author Topic: left section anomaly  (Read 1546 times)

Offline jondav

left section anomaly
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Recently while messing around with my 770, I decided to try using the voices from " the best of europe" expansion pack in the left section, as an accompany to the right hand voice, but you cant seem to do this, the pitch is too low, I tried to shift the octave but it does,nt seem to work on the left section, did Yamaha intend to do this, or am I not doing something I should.

Offline Wally Z

Re: left section anomaly
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »
Good question. I'm interested in the answer also.  I have notice this on my S910. Never looked into changing octave on left hand at the time so don't know if it's possible or not. I know the octave button doesn't effect the left hand when it's on.
Amateur- A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.
Here's some of my compositions.
https://soundcloud.com/wallyzel/sets/musical-thoughts-1

Online jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »
As you discovered the voice left octave is not settable from the octave panel buttons. It is a property of the voice itself and (assuming your PSR works the same way as Tyros) can be changed in Voice Set. Make sure you push the Part Select button over the Left voice panel button when in the Common tab of Voice Set, and you will see a "Part Octave Left" box where you can set the octave. (It may not be possible to change it if the left part is not selected). If you want to keep the setting for that voice for later sessions push Save and save as a User Voice (or immediately include in a registration set up, or in an OTS where any edits will be saved).

John
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:45:46 PM by jwyvern »

Online voodoo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:47:24 PM »
Recently while messing around with my 770, I decided to try using the voices from " the best of europe" expansion pack in the left section, as an accompany to the right hand voice, but you cant seem to do this, the pitch is too low, I tried to shift the octave but it does,nt seem to work on the left section, did Yamaha intend to do this, or am I not doing something I should.

This is completely normal. Of course the left part of the keyboard produces lower notes. You can adjust this in the mixer settings. ;)

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
Might be a good change for Yamaha to consider on future keyboards. Left hand octave control button. ;D Seems so basic a thing to require extra steps and saving procedure just to change the octave.
Amateur- A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »
Might be a good change for Yamaha to consider on future keyboards. Left hand octave control button. ;D Seems so basic a thing to require extra steps and saving procedure just to change the octave.

There are already too many buttons on the keyboard. Who plays the left hand anyways? Most people use it just for chording.

If the problem can be solved through the mixing console, we don't need another button.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online Enildo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
Hello Jondav! To solve your problem press "DIRECT ACCESS -> UPPER OCTAVE (+ or -)" and open the tab "TUNE" where you will have 2 more levels, up and down the voices "LEFT, RIGHT1 and RIGHT2".

hug,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline jondav

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
Thank you Enildo for your helpful reply, Jon.

Offline jondav

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
This is completely normal. Of course the left part of the keyboard produces lower notes. You can adjust this in the mixer settings. ;)

Uli
The point I was making, that this does not happen with all other voices, eg preset ones, ones that are stored on my U.S.B. stick, it is only from this particular expansion pack that the problem arises, with all these other voices they readjust so that the first "c" in the left section, is the same pitch as middle "c" in the right hand section, I hope I have clarified matters.

Online jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
The point I was making, that this does not happen with all other voices, eg preset ones, ones that are stored on my U.S.B. stick, it is only from this particular expansion pack that the problem arises, with all these other voices they readjust so that the first "c" in the left section, is the same pitch as middle "c" in the right hand section, I hope I have clarified matters.

jondav,
This is because preset voices are designed to be used on the right or left of the keyboard "without" needing extra octave adjustment. They achieve this by having 2 octave settings, one for left voice use (usually 1) and one for right hand use (usually 0) "built in" to them. You can see these settings if you go to Voice Set, Common tab where under Part Octave you will see the two (Left and R1/R2) settings.
It sounds as if your expansion voices have not been assigned the correct Left values, which means you have to adjust them yourself, either by using Mixing Console whenever needed, or saving the left change permanently for the voices from within Voice Set as per my previous post.
John
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:32:03 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
There are already too many buttons on the keyboard. Who plays the left hand anyways? Most people use it just for chording.

If the problem can be solved through the mixing console, we don't need another button.

Fred
Well, Fred I play the left hand on every song I've ever done, and usually with more than one finger.  Even when just playing straight chords sometimes the octave is low and bassy. Not sure bassy is a word, but sure you get the meaning.  Having to make changes and saving is sometimes a pain.  It should be just as simple as changing the right hand in my opinion. And you can never have too many buttons. ;D

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
Well, Fred I play the left hand on every song I've ever done, and usually with more than one finger.  Even when just playing straight chords sometimes the octave is low and bassy. Not sure bassy is a word, but sure you get the meaning.  Having to make changes and saving is sometimes a pain.  It should be just as simple as changing the right hand in my opinion. And you can never have too many buttons. ;D

That's impressive. How do you get the correct chord to play, and still play notes in the left hand?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:41 AM »
That's impressive. How do you get the correct chord to play, and still play notes in the left hand?

Fred
Watch someone playing the piano and you'll see how. The Style with accompaniment will also do the trick. Try playing an arpeggio. I'm not talking about playing melody with left hand although you can.  I'm talking about the octaves when left is selected on keyboard.  It's a problem when it's set up for lower register. It doesn't always fit with the song and can be overwhelming. Most of my playing is done with recording in mind. I don't do sit and play very often. I only play songs I've composed. There's times when I record the left hand first using R1 & R2 settings because I can't find a left that sounds good and I have the ability to easily change the octave. Now for sit and play you can't do that and if you don't like the sound of the left hand you have to change it in setup and save it in a Style or Registration. Wouldn't it be easier to hit a button rather than going through 15 steps to change and save a change to left octave. I guess you could change the keyboard split. But then you lose right hand keys. Of course those also have easy octave change so might not be a bad way to do it you don't need multiple octaves to play the melody.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:53:23 AM by Wally Z »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »
Hi Fred,

If you use a Chord Fingering type that requires more than one note to interpret a chord, then you can trigger the chord and then play the left voice part without changing the chord, as long as you only press less keys at the same time than the fingering mode requires.

I mostly use 'Fingered' mode which needs at least three notes to interpret and trigger a chord.  You can therefore play up to two notes simultaneously in the style part of the keyboard while a chord is playing, which can be used to play the left voice part without changing the current chord.

Of course the left voice will also sound when you do change the chord, but if you want you can set the left voice to play as touch sensitive, but not the style.  You can then suppress the left voice to an extent if you want to, by playing gently for chord changes.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:44:14 AM by tyrosaurus »