Author Topic: How to Open a PDF Lead Sheet On my Ipad Using a Registration ?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Bob88

How to Open a PDF Lead Sheet On my Ipad Using a Registration ?
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
    I read somewhere on this forum that it was possible to open a PDF lead sheet on my Ipad by using a corresponding registration on my T5  but am unable to find the location of that posting. As I  recall, by using a  code or number in the reg and pdf title, this was possible.   For instance, 
 004blues.reg  and 004blues.pdf.   When loading the registration, the pdf file would be accessed on the Ipad.   Perhaps someone can clarify this.   I know this can be done via midi using a song file but I would like to accomplish this as mentioned above.  Looking forward  to some feedback.  Thanks, Bob88

Offline jimlaing

Re: How to Open a PDF Lead Sheet On my Ipad Using a Registration ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
Yes, I remember reading about people doing this.  I think there was someone named Fred ??  that had descriptions of a method.  I do the opposite:  I use the unrealBook app on the iPad, and via MIDI commands in it, through a wireless MIDI device on my Tyros, I have the iPad app "call up" the registration automatically in the Tyros whenever I load a PDF file (song) on my iPad...

I think either method is viable and possible ....

Jim

Offline Rumocool

• Supporter
  • Yamaha Tyros 4/Black. Yamaha MFC10.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »
Hell Bob88,

here you find the instruction video from Fred, great explained and you can make a question he will sure answering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cPMU_H28M&t=48s

Regards,
Rudolf

Offline Bob88

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
Thanks Jim and Rumocool.   Yes, I know this can be done via midi.   The method I mentioned in my original post indicated there was another way  to accomplish the same thing.  Bob88 

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »
Hi ... I don't know of a way with a "code" or special naming scheme; the only way I know of is with MIDI.  Maybe someone else knows the way to do with "coded" filenames etc. - that would be interesting ...

Jim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
    I read somewhere on this forum that it was possible to open a PDF lead sheet on my Ipad by using a corresponding registration on my T5  but am unable to find the location of that posting. As I  recall, by using a  code or number in the reg and pdf title, this was possible.   For instance, 
 004blues.reg  and 004blues.pdf.   When loading the registration, the pdf file would be accessed on the Ipad.   Perhaps someone can clarify this.   I know this can be done via midi using a song file but I would like to accomplish this as mentioned above.  Looking forward  to some feedback.  Thanks, Bob88

Bob,

It's not possible to do what you want with only a registration. You must have a midi file which generates the proper codes. However, all is not lost, because you just store the link to the midi file in the registration, and it's triggered as soon as you load the reg. You can see it happen in my video.

Of course, you need an app on the iPad which responds to the midi commands. I use SongBook+ from Baum software, but there are others.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bob88

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »
   Wishful thinking on my part  Fred.  Always looking for  a  a lazy man's solution. Thanks for you reply.  Bob88

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
   Wishful thinking on my part  Fred.  Always looking for  a  a lazy man's solution. Thanks for you reply.  Bob88

It is possible to go the other way without using midi files. You can set up Songbook so it will load the registration when you load the PDF file.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:35:55 AM »
 That is exactly what I am attempting to accomplish Fred.  Can you elaborate on how to do this?   I have been looking through the manual but somehow missed the process.  I will have another look.   Thanks again. Bob88

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 07:07:26 AM »
That is exactly what I am attempting to accomplish Fred.  Can you elaborate on how to do this?   I have been looking through the manual but somehow missed the process.  I will have another look.   Thanks again. Bob88

Well, that's not what you said in your original post, nor what you're saying in the subject.

But if you've changed your mind, here's my original post on the subject. In the manual, there's a link to all 500 possible registrations.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
 I always hesitate to post a problem because it seems to create another one.  Anyway, if in songbook a pdf file can access a desired or related  registration, then hopefully  I am able to have the lead sheet for a particular song displayed   and the registration for that lead sheet load as well.  It might be the reverse of what I was attempting but would it not reveal both the reg. and
and pdf I wanted.  I have always appreciated in any help given in this forum.  Bob88

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
I always hesitate to post a problem because it seems to create another one.  Anyway, if in songbook a pdf file can access a desired or related  registration, then hopefully  I am able to have the lead sheet for a particular song displayed   and the registration for that lead sheet load as well.  It might be the reverse of what I was attempting but would it not reveal both the reg. and
and pdf I wanted.  I have always appreciated in any help given in this forum.  Bob88

My apologies on my previous post, Bob. I was supposed to put in the link to my original post, but I was interrupted by a higher power and forgot.

Here's the original thread: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,34004.0.html

The manual shows how to get Songbook to load the appropriate registration whenever you call up a pdf in the app.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 05:33:50 AM »
Thank you for the link Fred. Bob88

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »
Fred - that's a nice write-up on the whole topic!  I'm sure a lot of people appreciate those instructions.  I use the "iPad controls Keyboard" method, but i used it from the unrealBook app instead.

If anyone here is using unrealBook and they want help getting unrealBook to recall registrations from the Tyros, feel free to write to me and I can send you some info that might help.  I don't have a nice set of instructions like Fred has, but some info that might help unrealBook users (or users of any app that can send MIDI commands) to recall Registrations on a Tyros ...

-Jim

Offline Bob88

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
   Sorry to say I am still unable to link a song in Songbook with a registration on  my T5.  I have downloaded the dummy midifiles via the link Fred provided and extracted  them to a folder titled Songbook as a sub directory of one titled Abba where my registrations are stored. This was suggested by instructions that came with the the link mentioned.
  The  song file I am using is Dancing Queen from Abba.  The code number chosen as the dummy midi is 200.1    and was assigned to the pdf Dancing Queen.  I  added the code to the beginning of the reg.,selected the midi with the proper code, ticked the song box and memorized the song then saved the registration.  The instructions for the link states clicking on the reg. should then have the  the pdf  displayed which is what my subject title of this post requested.  Bob88

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
   Sorry to say I am still unable to link a song in Songbook with a registration on  my T5.  I have downloaded the dummy midifiles via the link Fred provided and extracted  them to a folder titled Songbook as a sub directory of one titled Abba where my registrations are stored. This was suggested by instructions that came with the the link mentioned.
  The  song file I am using is Dancing Queen from Abba.  The code number chosen as the dummy midi is 200.1    and was assigned to the pdf Dancing Queen.  I  added the code to the beginning of the reg.,selected the midi with the proper code, ticked the song box and memorized the song then saved the registration.  The instructions for the link states clicking on the reg. should then have the  the pdf  displayed which is what my subject title of this post requested.  Bob88

That was the easy part, Bob. Now comes the hard part -- getting the keyboard and the iPad to communicate.

The first thing to do is to forget about registrations for now. Get the two devices to communicate, then you can incorporate a registration.

First, ensure the midi commands are being transmitted properly. Load your midi file (200.1) Go to Function>Midi, then Edit, then Transmit. Press play. You should see an orange dot displayed under the channel (normally channel 1) you told Songbook you were transmitting on. And you should see only one dot flashing, indicating there is no activity on any other channel. If you don't see this, you need to go back and configure the midi transmission properly.

Next, go to Songbook, ellipsis (...), Open MIDI / Bluetooth Monitor. Press play. You should see gobbledygook appearing on the screen (they're actually midi commands, but they are indecipherable to us mortals). If you don't, press Restart midi, and try again. Once you see text being displayed, scroll down and look for the program command saying it will load Dancing Queen. If you get to this point, it's your eureka moment -- you can exit the screen, press play and the pdf file should display.

Another trick that works for me is to disconnect the cable from the iPad, and reinsert it. This seems to help more often than it should.

Some helpful information for us would be:
-- how are you connecting to the iPad: a USB cable or a midi-to-USB conversion cable?
-- what iPad do you have?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
Fred:  Thank you for a valiant attempt to set me straight.   First of all I have an Ipad 4 and my connection is  USB to host with an adapter to my  Ipad.  When I reached the "transmit" part of your directions  then play I
pretty much reached a dead end.  In the "note" column  I turned off all channels except channel 1. This was Port 1.   I was not sure what to do  next.   When I pressed play there was no blinking light in port 1 but a whole string of them in the port 2.  I did get a bunch of sysex stuff that continued each time I pressed play.   So no eureka moment yet.   Bob88

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Fred:  Thank you for a valiant attempt to set me straight.   First of all I have an Ipad 4 and my connection is  USB to host with an adapter to my  Ipad.  When I reached the "transmit" part of your directions  then play I
pretty much reached a dead end.  In the "note" column  I turned off all channels except channel 1. This was Port 1.   I was not sure what to do  next.   When I pressed play there was no blinking light in port 1 but a whole string of them in the port 2.  I did get a bunch of sysex stuff that continued each time I pressed play.   So no eureka moment yet.   Bob88

Bob,

Take a look at page 14 in the manual.

You need to set up midi transmission so that data goes out Channel 1 only. All other parts should be OFF.

When set up properly, after you press Play, you will see an orange light flash under the "1" (meaning Channel 1) on Port 1. There should be no other lights flashing.

When you get the midi transmission set up properly, then you can proceed to the next step.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 12:58:05 PM »
    Fred: I managed to get the midi transmission set up properly on Channel 1 Port 1 and the orange light   blinks accordingly when "play"  is pressed. Making some progress.   Thanks, Bob

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
    Fred: I managed to get the midi transmission set up properly on Channel 1 Port 1 and the orange light   blinks accordingly when "play"  is pressed. Making some progress.   Thanks, Bob

You're making progress. Now check out the midi monitor in SongBook.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
Fred:  Audio output channel found: speaker 2
          Audio output channel found speaker 1
           Footpedal adapter is disabled

Bob88

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
Fred:  Audio output channel found: speaker 2
          Audio output channel found speaker 1
           Footpedal adapter is disabled

Those messages are from Songbook saying it's ready to listen for midi commands.

You need to see gobbledygook after you press play. If you don't see anything, then your setup isn't correct. You'll need to check that you have a correct midi file loaded, that you're transmitting on channel 1, and you've told Songbook to receive on channel 1. If that's all correct, you need to check the hardware. Is the cable connected to the right port? Are any of the connections loose? Etc.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
   My mistake Fred.  I had to disconnect the cable to move my Ipad to something else.  Anyway, when I press play now I get  what looks like you describe as gobledyguk. Sysex stuff , numbers and program changes as I scroll down.  In the receive column I did the same thing I had done with the transmit column and saved the settings. Getting ahead of myself.  I must have messed up something as I am unable to have the PDF and Reg load together.  One step ahead 2 steps back.  Thanks once more. Bob88

Offline Pino

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »
Hi
I hope you have got everything working by now
But, just in case not
I helped someone the other day and he had done everything correct but the
"Auto open on midi Command" switch on the "song edit Page" (bottom left) was not open (green)
That was the only reason it did not work for him

Software can be a pain and it's normally something so simple

"Songbook" is a really good program especially if used with iPad Pro.

Good luck

Pino

Offline Bob88

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
     Thank you Pino for your comment, it was timely.  I just now discovered that was my problem as well.  Also to Fred, many thanks for your help  and patience.  Mission accomplished.  Regards, Bob88

Offline Bob88

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »
I am reluctant to continue this thread as it seems to result in one step ahead and two back.  With the help received from members I managed to resolve the problem before  and was able to have a registration open the required song file(pdf) when pressing play.  Something happened since then and the reg will not do what it had before.  I have been through the songbook manual on pages 14 and 15 over and over, followed the directions precisely.  Proper codes (200.1) are still there where required.  Auto open on Midi command is on.  For some reason I cannot explain, on my T5 when I go to Function , Midi, Edit, Transmit and Press Play, the orange  dot under Channel one does not light up.  So undoubtedly the message is not being transmitted as it was before. Channel 1 is displayed appropriately and all others have been turned off.
When I open midi bluetooth monitor and press play I get some sysex information but no recognition of the desired song.  Bob88