Author Topic: External Speakers  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Fisher69

External Speakers
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:46 AM »
Hi Guys
I was wondering if anyone could help me I'm not very keyed up with cables I don't want to order the wrong cables.
I have Yamaha S910 but would like to use external speakers.
I bought a pair of Hill Audio Andante SMA1220 and also bought a TC Helicon Harmony live but don't know where to start with this lot I would like to connect everything in Stereo if possible so if anyone could give me some idea what cables to order I would be very grateful.
Cheers
 Vernon.

Offline travlin-easy

Re: External Speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:33:56 PM »
Vernon, this is fairly easy. Essentially, go the nearest music store or radio shack and purchase some speaker cables, with 1/4-inch mono plugs on each end. These will connect to the keyboard's right and left output jacks and to the line in jacks on your speakers.

The TC Helicon Voice Live will connect to the 9-pin midi cable connection on the keyboard and the same 9-pin connection on the TC Helicon Voiceworks Live.

Next, you will have to tell the voice live where the signals are coming from in the keyboard. Set the keyboard's midi to keyboard and style. Do not set it to all parts as this causes problems by telling the wrong information to the voicelive.

Now, somewhere in the manual for the TC Helicon you will find instructions on how to connect to the keyboard using commands from the voicelive. Unfortunately, I do not own the voicelive, so you will have to do some research on your own with this part, but it is not difficult.

Now, connect the audio output of the voicelive to the mic/line in of the keyboard, which allows you to balance everything though the keyboard itself. Or, you can also use the audio output of the Voicelive and plug it directly into another channel of your PA system, and control it separately. The cables for this would also be nothing more than shielded 1/4-inch mono cables or ordinary guitar cables.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fisher69

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »
Hi Gary
Many thanks for all your info I will get some cables and try to figure out all the settings.
    Cheers
    Vernon.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02:55 AM »
Vernon,
Can you clarify which TC Helicon Harmony effects pedal you have? I did a search on what you called it in your first post and what Gary mentioned and came up with several different models, some which do not have the 5 pin DIN MIDI connectors to connect the keyboard to the TC Helicon unit.

Mark............
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:04:37 AM by MarkF_48 »

Offline Fisher69

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:18:07 AM »
Hi Mark
Many thanks for taking the time to get back to me I've just looked at the box it came in and all it says is Harmony Singer it's blue and has three knobs up the top and a tone button and then there is the on off button to press with your foot.
On the side  there is Mic/ Out/Power they look like three pin.
Hope this info helps it's supposed to be for giutar but I found out on the net it also works for keyboard.
    Cheers
     Vernon.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
Vernon,

You'll be able to connect the S910 to the Hill Audio Andante SMA1220 with a pair of 1/4" instrument/guitar type cables and have stereo connecting the left and right outputs of the S910 to the CH3 L/MON of each speaker, but the Harmony Singer is not a stereo effects pedal, so that effect can not be stereo. The Harmony Singer can be connected to one speaker using an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable to CH1 of the amplifier, but not two speakers unless I think you have something to split the audio signal to the two speakers, such as a small mixer. The speakers can be 'Linked', but this loses the stereo capability.

The Harmony Singer does not have MIDI that could connect the keyboard to the Harmony Singer, but does have the input for guitar to create the harmonies. What you found about using that input to input a keyboard may work, but again without an additional piece of equipment (possibly a mixer that has an effects send jack), I'm not sure how you might 'grab' some of the output of the S910 to send to the Harmony Singer.

The S910 does have its own harmony effects for vocals. Perhaps give that a try with the speakers set up for stereo and see how that works.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:44:24 PM by MarkF_48 »

Offline Fisher69

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:38:09 AM »
Hi Mark
Thanks for responding yesterday regarding the Harmony Singer I was going to send it back and get another one of their pedals but been having a good look online this morning and it seem's it will work even without keyboards or guitars how good it's going to work I will report back in case the information is handy for anyone else on the site.
I have put one of the reviews below for you to see what other people are saying and thanks again for your help.

I've used this for a year now, so I thought I would give it a review.
It's awesome. I'm a pro musician and use this pedal at least twice a week, every week, and it's still rock solid.
Reverbs are decent, Harmonies are great. I use them lightly blended since I have real life back up singers, but it still adds a thickness and warmth when blended correctly.

One of these reviews said it will not support 48v phantom power. This is not true. It does not supply phantom power on it's own, but if your mixer does, it goes right through to the mic just fine.

Another one of these reviews claims it will not read minor or augmented chords. This also is untrue in my experience. Most often I run my keyboard through it to read the chord, but on both acoustic guitar, and keyboard, it reads major seventh chords, minor chords, sus chords etc just fine. I wonder if the signal that reviewer was sending to the pedal was insufficient? It tracks all the chords I play, in real time, with very little wandering.

Here's one more tidbit. Since it has decent reverb built in, the effect is on the signal before the mic pre at the mixer. In my situation (use in ears with a Behringer Xair18 mixer) it's nice to have reverb in my monitor mix. With the mixer I use, there's no real efficient way to route effects to the ultra net port so this was a real easy way to get that coveted reverb in the monitor mix.

Overall, real happy with this pedal. If for some reason it ever quits on me, I'll be ordering another one just like it the very next day.