Author Topic: Connecting a microphone to PSR S710  (Read 789 times)

Offline markchapman1976

Connecting a microphone to PSR S710
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »
Hi everyone

If I connect a microphone to the S710 does it let me add effects to the microphone like reverb etc. ? Thanks. If so how do I access these settings?

Kind Regards

Mark

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Connecting a microphone to PSR S710
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Hi Mark,

There is no Mic. input on a PSR-S710!   This is only present on an S910 in that series.

However you could connect a mic. to a small audio mixer (having at least one mic. input) to boost it's signal to line level, and then connect the mixer's main outputs into the 'Aux In' input of the keyboard.  However the 'Aux In' on Yamaha's usually bypasses the keyboard effects unit, and if this is the case on your S710 you would not be able to add effects to it from the keyboard.

If you want to add effects to the mic signal, you could get a mixer that has a built in effects (FX) unit.

Here is an example of such a unit, although I am not recommending it (I have never used it)!   I am simply using this to show you the type of device to look for.  There are others available from different manufacturers, some of which are less expensive than the Yamaha MG06X shown.  Just search online for 'analog audio mixer' or similar...

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Yamaha-MG06X-Analog-Mixer/XBK

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:49:54 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Thanks Ian

There is a mic connection on the back of the S710 to connect a mic with sound outputted through the speakers of keyboard but it's a jack connection. I have a mic lead with three pins on either side so I don't think I have the correct lead.

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
Sorry Ian totally mistaken again lol no there is no mic output on my keyboard. Sorry. When I connect my keyboard to my new Behringer amp that I've ordered do I need one jack lead to go from keyboard to amp or two sets of leads? Thanks again.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Hi Mark,

It depends on whether the Behringer amp. has stereo inputs or just  a single mono one.

If stereo, then you would be best to use two leads, one in each of the keyboard's outputs ('R' and 'L/L+R'). This will give you a stereo output from your speakers.

If the amp. only has a mono input (unlikely!), you should just use one lead from the keyboard's 'L/L+R' output.  This will combine the stereo signal produced by the keyboard into one combined mono signal.  If you do this, make sure that there is nothing plugged into the 'R' output or you will only get the left channel on the 'L/L+R' output.

In either case the plugs on the keyboard end of the cable/s should be 1/4 inch mono (TS) jacks. The other end depends on what type the new amplifier uses.

One more thought, if the amplifier also has a dedicated microphone input, then you could use that instead of trying to connect a mic. to the 710.  However you might not be able to add effects to the mic. signal unless the amp. has this function built in.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:57:58 PM by tyrosaurus »