Author Topic: S970 will support THREE USB devices concurrently  (Read 1008 times)

Offline MikeHolliday

S970 will support THREE USB devices concurrently
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »
Not sure if this has already been reported or is of any use to anyone but I have today had my S970 supporting three USB drives at the same time, concurrently.  So for instance in the save reg file page I can see USB1, USB2 and USB3 at the same time and the kybd seemed able to save and load from each.

It is a slightly odd setup so I will explain.

I have an oak cabinet I built for the keyboard, and it has three USB sockets at the front for easy access, one is for connecting the kybd to a PC if needed so is not really relevant here, the other two plug into a USB hub behind the kybd which plugs into the kybd USB, the usual sort of setup that I know many people use.

Today I had my usual USB pen drive plugged in but also had my panasonic RR-XS400 mini voice recorder plugged into the other USB socket to charge.  The recorder is also a USB device in its own right so appears as a second USB device, nothing new there.  But I noticed that when I was on the USB page on the kybd that it showed three USB selections (USB1, USB2 and USB3).  Odd, so I scrolled to USB 3 and it showed nothing but a P1 entry and all options blanked out.  Then I remembered that the recorder has an SD card slot for extra storage.  So I put a spare SD card in and the kybd then saw it fine and was allowing me to load and save from the third USB, USB1 being my normal pen drive, USB 2 being the internal memory on the recorder and USB3 being the SD card on the recorder.

So in itself not tremendously useful but it proves that the S970 kybd WILL address more than two USB devices at the same time.  So if you could insert a device that had a second and third pen drive addressed in the same way as the Panasonic recorder shows its internal and external memory, then three USBs should work fine I suspect.

Hope it may be of use to someone.

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: S970 will support THREE USB devices concurrently
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »
Thank you for reporting on this! :) I wonder what the limit is?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Roger Brenizer

• PSR Performer
  • Administrator
  • Tyros 4, Electone HS-8T, Accordion, Piano, Guitar
    • Roger's PSR Performer Page
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
My Tyros 4 recognizes 3 USB Flash Drives installed in a Targus 3 port USB hub as USB1, USB2 and USB3.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:11:05 AM »
Thank you All for this great information ! This is very interesting.   :) :) :)
Never heard this before. WOW !

Hi Roger,

Are you using a USB HUB for your T4 ?
What about T2, T3 and T5 and all other PSR models with USB access ?

And finally : how many USB pen drivers could be connected : 4 maybe ?
Wishful thinking ?  ::)
That would be wonderful for my personal applications though.

Plse advise. Many thanks !

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:17:38 AM by Jeff Hollande »
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN

Offline Roger Brenizer

• PSR Performer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I only have experience with my own T4.  As I said above; My Tyros 4 recognizes 3 USB Flash Drives installed in a Targus 3 port USB hub as USB1, USB2 and USB3.

This 3 port hub was installed in the front USB port of my T4.  I haven't tried it in the rear USB port.  I also have 4 port hubs, but haven't tried any of them yet.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline MikeHolliday

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »
Hi Roger,
I am struggling to understand exactly what you mean, but I think the 770 WILL support three USBs in the configuration I described as the architecture is pretty much the same as the 970.  Of course in the way I described it working the practical application is a bit limited, but if it were  possible to find a USB hub that presents the USB in the same way as the Panasonic recorder obviously does then it becomes a useful practical exercise as you could connect three different USB devices at the same time.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
He had already discovered this in Psr s950. If you have a 16GB or larger USB flash drive, I do not think it's advantageous.
Psr s970 - The best PSR!

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
My S900 would recognize 3 USB drives in a hub simultaneously and I thought it was common knowledge.
I no longer use a hub however because I use the very small USB stick that I can leave in my board even when in a case.
A hub would have to be removed every time I move my board in its case. Which is somewhat frequent.
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, 1987 Strat+

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 01:31:19 AM »
Hi Roger,

As far as I can see my T2 only accepts 2 USB pen drivers.
1 in the back and 1 in the front.

I can connect a hub but then again only 2 pcs pen drivers are accepted.
As far as I can see there is no room for 3 pen drivers. :'(

USB1 and USB2 are indicated on the screen but no USB 3.

Maybe I do something wrong ?

Best regards, Jeff

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:34:10 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Roger Brenizer

• PSR Performer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
Hi Jeff,

I'm not familiar with the T2, but my T4 also has only one front and one rear USB port.  When I connect a 3 port hub in the front port and insert 3 USB flash drives in it, they are all recognized by my T4.

I doubt you are doing anything wrong, but I do know that some manufacturers USB hubs and flash drives aren't always recognized in our keyboards.  For what reason I don't know, but I have stacks of flash drives, which aren't always recognized when just using the keyboards USB port without a USB hub.

I hope that makes sense.

Update:  In reality I don't ever need to do this on my T4.  I only did this, some time ago, to report on the results in response to another members question in another post.  I always use a large enough USB flash drive that I have no need for a second or third one.  I have a 128 GB flash drive that my T4 will never recognize, no matter how or where it was formatted (in a computer or in the keyboard).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:11:57 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:44:06 AM »
Hi Roger,

My T2 works well with 64 GB USB pen drivers.
Even 2 x 64 GB. More than enough, I guess. 😉

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:46:40 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Sky_Cowboy

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
Never tried three USB drives but all of your comments made me hopeful. I purchased the WL01 Wifi adapter and updated my 970 to system 1.06. Now I can only use 2 USB ports. Either 2 drives or 1 drive and the wifi.  :(

Anyone else tried this? Anyway I can go back to 2 drives and still have wifi?

Thanks!
Dan

Offline frajag

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »
If you purchase a USB hub with switches you can fill all the slots with USB sticks and switch on and off to your hearts content.

Offline Sky_Cowboy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
Ha ha. That's not exactly supporting three USB devices or even two USB drives. Might just send the wifi adapter back.

Dan