Author Topic: Yamaha expansion pack worth it?  (Read 6752 times)

Cachou123

Yamaha expansion pack worth it?
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:19:07 AM »
 Hi I have just purchased a new tyros 5. Would you guys suggest me to purchase the expansion memory flash card for my keyboard. Are the expansion pack really good is it worth spending the money for the card to get more styles etc. or would I be fine with just the keyboard

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: Yamaha expansion pack worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 04:09:56 AM »
Hi I have just purchased a new tyros 5. Would you guys suggest me to purchase the expansion memory flash card for my keyboard. Are the expansion pack really good is it worth spending the money for the card to get more styles etc. or would I be fine with just the keyboard

Hi.
This is usually something that boil down to a very personal choice, and depend on your needs or what you want.
If you are going to buy expansion pacs and audio styles, you most likely need the extra memoryboard. But maybe take good time to explore the T5 and get to know it better at first, then explore the YamahaSoft side and see if you really need any packs, or maybe just some extra styles?
If only need some of the styles, you don't need any extra memory. Also it's a huge amount of free and great styles here at PSR. :)

Expansion packs are nice addon stuff, but again it's about personal taste what to chose. Some love it, some don't want to, or don't have any use for the packs at all.

Good luck with your new investment T5.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:53:22 AM »
My 2 cents:

Test drive your T5 for a while since there is a lot to discover without spending even more money. It is a great instrument that has a lot of stuyff already onboard. By the time you have explored the T5. Discovered it's plus and minus things and you wat to expand yoru experience buy that Flash Expansion if you still think the T5 hasn't enough on board to offer or if you are still curious to what and expansion could do for you. If you buy one and are looking for expansion packs I recommend to start with one of the original Yamaha expansion packs. They are of much higher quality than the thrid party packs. They are more expansive as well so I would only purchase when they have their special offers. I do not know by heart when that is besides halloween time. But usually there are some weeks  (2 x times a year?) that give you a 20% discount.

As Gunmar said it is personal taste that decides if something is worth it. I find them quite expensive but if you ask me which ones I like the most my answer is the Celtic pack and the Panflutes pack.

regards,
Peter

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:56 AM »
If you just want more styles you can purchase these from Music Soft and you won't need a Flash memory card to play them.

Sander89

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:25:44 AM »
Here in the Netherlands the price for the FL1024 dropped 60-70%, i discovered that this week, and immediately ordered one, it was 149,99 instead of 349,99 (Euro's)

Offline Misu

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »
About style you need years just listening to the ones on the site, maybe just the very new ones like musical approach worth buying.
Voices on the other hand, even if you do not have the intention to approach genres of exotic music (Oriental, Indian, Greek, Romanian), always a Guerrini President with all 11 registers or a different piano will help you.
Your decision.
Success
Mihai
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
I think the memory expansion is a very good investment. Because there are so many free sounds that you can use with your T5. For examples look at free sounds at CMS sounddesign.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline mark fernando

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:23 AM »
Hi,

I upgraded my PSR S950 to Tyros 5  recently. Presently I am struggling to get my all sounds used to have with PSR with the Tyros 5. I lost lot of sounds I had in PSR specially all oriental and EDM kit sounds. All other MIDI song tracks play well except oriental. As per my local dealer Yamaha restricted using existing sound packs using with Tyros 5 line and due to that not possible to use of them even you have big collection. So when I discuss this with dealer they agreed to give me most of sound packs as a package deal when I bought Tyros 5 from them. But the problem is you can use almost every style you had but specific sounds/samples to play I have to spend extra money for flash memory card which has two options 512MB and 1020 MB. I already ordered a 512MG card since I only need some oriental packs to full use of my MIDI songs.

When I get the card after installation it I have get the instrument details and use expansion manager for managing my packs. From Tyros 5 onwards it is copy right protected.
Presently I am waiting for card and I have to inform my instrument ID to my dealer to get all sound packs.

So If you guys have major collection for other models those will not work with newer  PSR S970 and Tyros 5. Also same flash card can be used for Motif XF models for expansion.

Thanks

Mark