Author Topic: Variation buttons slow to activate  (Read 1124 times)

Offline jes826

Variation buttons slow to activate
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:18:41 PM »
My Main Variation buttons B, C & D on my PSR s900 are slow to activate.  To change Variations, I usually have to press and hold for 2-3 seconds before they change to the selected variation.  (Q):How can I get them to activate on touch?  Can they be cleaned (how) or do they need to be replaced? Your advice and/or suggestions to correct the problem are greatly appreciated. 

John

Offline XeeniX

Re: Variation buttons slow to activate
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:30 AM »
Hi John,

Are you sure the variation buttons are the problem here? I mean there is always a delay when you go from one variation to another, unless you press it at exactly the right time. It has something to do with ending a progammed number of beats before it will change to another variation to prevent it from doing that to abruptly (As if someone froze your accompaniment band for a split second :) ) You mention only the B,C & D variation as problem buttons but doesn't it do the same thing if you change back from let's say D to A? The amount of time it needs can vary from style to style as well depending on the number of beats if not mistaken. There are people on this forum that have way more (exact) knowledge who can explain it much better. You could of course try a reset of your keyboard to make sure (power off and then on again while holding the last C key on your right hand) but I doubt it will solve the "problem" if it is a problem to begin with.

I hope it answers your question for now until someone else has a better description/explanation :)

Peter

-----
Thereís no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline jes826

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for taking your time to reply.  After reading your post and checking my behavior as to pushing the pads I can verify it is not as you have suggested. The A-Variation button is OK, even when returning to it from the B,C,D buttons.  It (A-pad) lights up immediately upon pressing and flashes until the beginning of the next measure of music to change variation.  The B,C,D buttons seem to have a delay of 2-3 seconds of continuous finger pressure before the pad activation light starts to blink, indicating it made contact. Many times the delay causes me to have the variation change a measure later than planned, even to the point of interrupting my playing at times.  My theory is those buttons must have a dirty contact point that needs to be cleaned.  But, before I take the board apart I wanted to get some theories, knowledge and advise.  Do you or anyone else know what the underneath contacts of the A,B,C,D style pads construction is like?  Are those parts cleanable and/or replaceable?  If so, how and what and/or WHAT NOT to clean them with. 

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

P.S:  I did the keyboard's reset and self diagnostics and EVERYTHING checks out OK.

John

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:10:43 AM »
Hi John,

Sorry that it didn't work but it was worth the try and didn't cost much effort :)
I have two left hands and my brain comes to a full stop when it sees circuit boards ;) I would need to pick up the keyboard and get me a ride to the shop where I bought it.

My previous keyboard was a S900 though and for some unknown reasons I seem to have picked up and kept the service manuals.
The pdf's are too big to attach here (25 Megabytes or so) so I zipped them into 1 file and uploaded it to a temporary google drive folder. Please let me know when you have it so I can remove it afterwards. I hope this can be of any help :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5UQrWcmyCsTTGM5OHNzN2pEeGc?usp=sharing

regards,

Peter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:03:02 AM by XeeniX »

-----
Thereís no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
Hope you don't mind, I've taken a download of that in case I have any problems with my S900. Touch wood, it's been good as gold.

Re the buttons: This is common to a lot of products - TV and satellite remotes for example. Grease and oil from the fingers works its way down and gets into the contact area. It builds up until you start having this sort of issue. Cleaning it is easy -  a bit of denatured alcohol on a cotton bud will do the trick. Getting the keyboard apart? That takes longer..... :(

At least TV remotes (usually) come apart with no problems!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline jes826

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »
Peter,

Thank you so much for sharing the manual with me.  It will help me tremendously.  I will study it before I get into the fix to make sure what I am getting into.  Your help and generosity is greatly appreciated.   :) :) :)

John

Offline jes826

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »
Andy,
Thank you for your insight and information about why the buttons are sticking and cleaning them.   Very valuable.   :) :) :)

John

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
Hi John,

You are most welcome. I hope you will manage to fix that problem now :)
Google drive link removed ....

regards,

Peter

-----
-----

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »
Hi John,

I saw this topic the other day and was going to post here and failed to do so.  Andy's tip will, in all likelihood, do the job.  Just be sure that you use denatured alcohol, as Andy suggested, because this won't damage the plastic.

Here's another tip for you that won't require opening the keyboard.  Buy some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner in a spray can, if you don't already have some, and lightly spray around the perimeter of each button.  Then press each button several times to work the cleaner in and around the buttons and their contact points with the keyboard.  If this works, there will be no need to disassemble your keyboard.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline jes826

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
Roger,
Thanks for the information.  I have not done anything to the Kb at this time.  I'll give your suggestion a try before going any further.  It would be great not to open the Kb if it is not necessary.  :)   I'll let you know on the progress. 

John