Author Topic: New from South Wales-UK  (Read 2066 times)

Offline charlesavec

New from South Wales-UK
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »
Hello to everyone. This is the first time on a forum but I hope to take an active part. I am an elderly codger(73) and I have a Tyros 4 which I love. I am self taught and play sort of OK. I have found the hardest part of learning on ones own is getting to grips with tempo.
I only like slow gentle music so as I know most of the tunes I play Iget along fine.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
John

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: New from South Wales-UK
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum and this great keyboard website.  You're not an elderly codger.  If you love music like we do, you're just a seasoned veteran of life and a very young at heart keyboard player.

Your introduction indicates you are self taught.  We have a lot of self taught musicians here on the forum.  Yes, tempo and timing can be an issue, but with practice you will get better.  Just remember, some people say that practice makes perfect, but you will find that perfect practice makes perfect.

I know that you are really going to enjoy being a member of this forum, which will become like a second family to you, once you begin to interact with the other members.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page, if you haven't already done so, and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.

This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, other forum boards will become available providing additional resources for you; however, there's absolutely no obligation to do so.  This is entirely voluntary; however, if you decide to support our website you will become a Lifetime Supporting Member.

We're very glad you have decided to become a member.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here willing and eager to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline charlesavec

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
Thank you so much for your lovely kind reply. It was such a warm welcome and I am so looking forward to chatting and joining in with many of the members in the forum
John

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
You're most welcome, John.  Please enjoy the forum and your interaction with our friendly members.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline RONBO

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »
Hello John,

Welcome to this great forum where nobody is old, just more experienced in life.

You are definitely not too old for us people.

As Roger said perfect practice makes perfect, so keep on keeping on no matter what.
That timing issue can be easily worked on by using the metronome feature. If you are a note reader you will find that after a little practice you too will master the tempo of any song you wish to play.

In fact, if it wasn't for Roger tutoring me on timing I probably would have pulled the plug on my Tyros 4.
Timing is a huge part of playing arranger keyboards and it requires a huge commitment from you and i and any player for that matter to practice, practice and then more practice.

people here are willing to help if you just ask.

Looking forward to hearing some of your songs when you feel ready.  You can email me anytime and I'm sure Roger would be happy to hear from you as well.
You can use the forum to contact any member and remain private if you prefer

Regards

Ron

Belle river, Ontario, Canada

Offline charlesavec

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
I have found that I can get round the timing issue by just playing the sort of music that I listen to. I only listen to slow and easy music like "Three coins in the fountain.crazy,and dozens more. I also use the freeplay styles which takes the pressure of any timing problems.
I have to say that if every member of this forum is as friendly as the few who have replied then I will certainly be enjoying myself.
Speak soon.Regards

Offline charlesavec

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:10:40 AM »
All really exited this weekend-I have just got a Tyros 5 and already I am amazed at the fantastic difference between the two keyboards.I am sure it will take me quite a while to work my way round the zillion features in tyros 5 but that is a chore that is most enjoyable.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:47:15 AM »
Hi John,

Congratulations on moving from the Tyros 4 to your new Tyros 5.  I know you are really going to enjoy the new features of this keyboard.  Have fun, my friend.  That's what it's all about.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline charlesavec

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
Hello
I-like you feel that music is my life. Sometimes it makes me happy & sometimes it makes me sad. One thing it never does is make me unhappy!
I am getting to grips with my new Tyros 5-61 and I am amazed at just how fantastic it sounds.Way better than the Tyros 4.
I only play slowish music and the feeling I can put in always,always makes me sad/happy.I get engrossed in the mood and feel that I am in a different world. A world filled with beautiful sounds and great joy. Loads of my family think I am a complete half wit for feeling like this over music but if music ic played with feeling then surely that is how we are supposed to feel.
John :)

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
I am getting to grips with my new Tyros 5-61 and I am amazed at just how fantastic it sounds.Way better than the Tyros 4.

Hi John,

Now you've gone and done it and I'm really jealous, because I own a Tyros 4...LOL!!!

If your family thinks you are a complete half wit, then you're in good company.  My dad always told everyone that he was twice as witty as me; therefore, he always introduced me as his Half Wit Son...LOL!!!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Pigletboy

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »
Hi John,
I always enjoy slow music the best too. I like listening to classical piano concertos, but it's the slow middle movements that really send me somewhere else!  :)
Pigletboy

Online thomas750

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »
hallo john nice to have you on board this is a great forum

thomas
I Play Three Keyboards

yamaha prs 770 and korg pa 700 and technis kn 2600

Offline yamamans

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Hi John,just noticed that you live in the land of song..The same as me...You in South Wales..And  me n West Wales.. Pembroke to be exact.
I too am self taught,and have recently taken up he keyboards again after a lapse of rs to many years !!!
I be got a new psr ew 400...And still trying to get to grips with it,and what progress I've made is down to some advice given to me on this forum..Caw,what a blessing !!..Lol
Well what do you think of the Tyros ?....Is it worth saving up for....And most of all..Is it complicated !!
Drop us a line,all the best.
Chris :D

Offline Lofty(dave)

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »

Hi Welcome jon from south wales I live in Carmarthenshire two of my sons live in south wales so you have gone from thety4 to the 5 I went from the ty4 to the p.s.r. s970 I was lucky did a straight exchange with a member on the other forum and I am loving it its a bit of a challenge but that's the excitement isn't it keeps the old brain in fine fettle

Have fun Lofty

Offline techlectics

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
Hi John. Like you I'm self taught and am close to your age but I'm certainly not a codger and I don't think you are either. You love making music and that will keep you young.  Welcome to the forum.
Regards,
Bob W. (Techlectics)

Offline Del B

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi John
I like slow to middle paced music (Ballads) too and there is nothing wrong in that, and there are plenty of songs and tunes out there for you to play, and be rest assured no one on this forum will critisize you for your music taste, to play this type of music you play it from the heart, meaning you have to have compassion, love, and feelings, just like the Welsh sing their songs, and it is that, that makes music sad or happy.
Let your family think you are a twit, we will not think that way of you, you get engrossed with your playing and enjoy and be happy doing just that until your hearts content, and when you feel upto recording your performances we would love to hear them.
Happy playing John
regards Del

Offline Lofty(dave)

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:51 AM »
 Hi Again John .Yes like you I like slow songs these days .and music has been in my blood all my life .from standing around the piano when I was very young when my grand parents were alive and listening to my aunties and uncles playing there different instruments at family gatherings sadly all gone I to are mostly self taught .
Music has helped me a lot through health problems in later years .sometimes I get playing a piece of music and get so engrossed in it I can feel myself starting to well up sometimes it feels like I am part of the song its a lovely feeling it would be nice to share it with local people but unfortunately theres nothing around here sadly it seems all they want is bingo disco thumping music the community spirit seems to have disappeared so its all at home and two weekends at Skegness shame really  Lofty

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »
Hi John,

Congratulations on upgrading to a Tyros 5.  And congratulations on joining this friendly, supportive forum. The members are always so helpful and knowledgeable and give their time and advice freely.

I have a Tyros 5 like yours. It is a fantastic instrument. Just enjoy it in the way that suits you, I too am nearly 76 and don't think of myself as an old codger.

Work on your timing and you WILL master it.

Good health and good luck.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)