Author Topic: PSR S900 Video out  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Brian

PSR S900 Video out
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:10:55 AM »
Hi,

No doubt this question has been asked many times before but with advancing years I find the screen on my S900 increasingly difficult to read, especially when compared with my S770. (I know I should have bought the S970 but funds did not permit and I like the S900). Is it possible to use any of the following:- iPad/laptop computer/Nook/Kindle etc which I already have , or do I need a dedicated monitor with a RCA Video outlet?  I don`t want a large screen just something I can put on the sheet music rest,  about 5,6" or 7" will do.

Best wishes,

Brian.

Offline frankmusik

Re: PSR S900 Video out
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »
You Need a Screen with Av in... And the Quality of Av is Never like a PC Screen on VGA...
Trade in s900 and 770 to 970 and be happy :-) everything Else is a Not so good Solution
Frank
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
You will need a device which has an RCA video in port. That's the only port where the keyboard will send the screen's contents.

Unlike Frank, I don't have any problem with the screen quality. It's not like we're watching an HD movie. There's no motion involved, so I'm sure you will find the screen quality acceptable.

Your difficulty will be finding a device with the video in port. There are lots of old ones lying around. Probably your best bet is eBay or Craigslist.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »
Thanks Guys,

To P?X would cost me about 500, and I dont want to get rid of the S900, so that option is out, so I need to look for a small unit with the correct Video in, the only device I can see which would appear to meet my requirements is the  device used in vehicles  which are  small and have a video in connection.

Brian

Offline Slider

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 12:31:04 AM »
My S900 screen burned out years ago (well-known S900 issue) but in searching for an external monitor, I sort of lucked out - my dad is an estate sale junkie (and A/V junkie), so he had a small 13-inch LCD TV laying around - a [now unavailable] "Sharp Aquos LC-13S1U-B", which has (among other things) the yellow Video In jack on the back.  I've been using that ever since and love it.  It's a black version of the one shown here at Crutchfield (I guess the "-B" in my model number meant "black") :

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-78HJQujHAS4/p_284LC13S1U/Sharp-LC-13S1U.html

Though it's unavailable, I included the link so you could at least see the type of monitor that works great as an S900 screen.  To give it some scale, it's only 11.5 inches tall - just a bit more than twice the height of the S900 itself (without music rest).  The side-view photo of it shows how little space it takes up; but even so, with its support stand it would be too heavy and chunky to put on the S900's sheet music rest.  (Works great on an empty tier/shelf of a dual keyboard stand though!)

Anyway, maybe you can find something similar at a local estate/garage sale for super cheap; or like Fred suggested, eBay, etc.  Or like you said, a dedicated "car TV" unit with the right input.

Also, you might look into (i.e., Google) adapters that would convert your RCA Video Out to whatever your preferred viewing device (iPad, laptop...) uses.  So it would be an RCA Video ("female") to [USB or whatever] "male" adapter, which you would then plug your existing (assuming you've got one already) RCA Video Out ("male") cable into.

Here's one for starters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-Video-Audio-To-USB-Digital-Converter-MPEG-Editor-Recorder-/310558657538

Anyway, hope you find a good solution!

- Bob K.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:39:39 AM by Slider »

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:42:25 AM »
Hi,

I found an excellent solution, I purchased a second hand Bush CDVD 100w 1WSM DVD player with a swivel head AV in and out, it does not matter if the DVD drive is faulty as long as the screen works. I now have a 10" screen on the music rest but it can go anywhere and no longer have any problems seeing all the screens and I can, if need be, reduce the contrast on the keyboard screen which, I understand may be one of the causes of screen failure.

I,ve attached a photo, I bought this one for a few pounds as the catch on the DVD slot was faulty. This unit also boast a card slot so I can put sheet music up on the display.

I assume this set up will work on the PSR 3000 etc  ;D

Best wishes,

Brian.

Offline CrzyCDN

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
I recall seeing this posting for a cheap repair for Psr LCD screens
Might be worth your time to check it out.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,26711.0.html

Regards
Ted

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
Wonder if this would work...... https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite-CVBS-Converter-Input/dp/B00I482KZI

Quite a few monitors/displays now have HDMI capability.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:46:22 AM by MarkF_48 »

Offline Slider

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
Looks great, Brian.