Author Topic: New Clavinova Board  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Joe W

New Clavinova Board
« on: August 05, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
While this forum is primarily for Yamaha arranger keyboards, the Yamaha digital pianos, particularly the CVP series, operate in much the same way as the Tyros and PSR models.  Some of the current members here, as well as some of the PSR Performers, play on a CVP piano.  So, it was suggested that I add a board for the CVP players and I thought that would be a good idea and here it is.  Hopefully, over time, CVP owners may discover the PSR Tutorial site and take advantage of this board as well as the various lessons and resources we offer, most of which will work fine on the CVP pianos.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: New Clavinova Board
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
Thank you, Joe.

I'm sure this board serve as a valuable resource for CVP owners.  As members, we can spread the word to anyone that we may know that owns a CVP and certainly make them aware of this opportunity.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »
Hi Jo
Many thanks for setting up a Clavinova section to this forum, it is something that I have felt was needed for some time.
I joined the forum back in March 2015 shortly after i had taken delivery of a CVP605PE
Many years ago I started with a simple keyboard and gradually moved up via a couple of organs to a CVP92, however in recent years interest waned somewhat and it was left gathering dust in our front room. The upgrade to the 605 has rejuvenated my interest and I am back into playing most days.
The forum has been most useful and I have gained a lot from it, not least the many styles that I have downloaded, thanks to the generosity of other members. These styles, although originally intended for the Tyros and PSR series, seem to work perfectly on the CVP range.

I note that I have posted around 24 posts, and a number of songs, all relating the the CVP605.
Would it be possible to move these posts, along with any other members posts, to this section, I realise that this might be a significant amount of work to undertake, but it would certainly give other members something to get teeth their into.

Please keep up the good work
Best regards.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
Bachus  - I agree, despite the fact that it is a great instrument, what they left out is a bit surprising. However, from the other perspective, I also can't understand why the Tyros is not closer to a portable version of the CVP709 i.e. leave out the speakers, but have a 77 key version with the much better keyboard, much better piano sound, and beautiful touchscreen.
Mike 

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »
Bachus  - I agree, despite the fact that it is a great instrument, what they left out is a bit surprising. However, from the other perspective, I also can't understand why the Tyros is not closer to a portable version of the CVP709 i.e. leave out the speakers, but have a 77 key version with the much better keyboard, much better piano sound, and beautiful touchscreen.
Mike
Very simple to answer Mike. A corporate, and very clear, decision by Yamaha to make keyboards and CVP Clavinovas keep their own identities, even if the technology is the same and there are obvious overlaps. So you won't get that prime piano voice on a keyboard (at least not for a generation or two) or a graded hammer action to go with it, and you won't get Multipads on a Clavinova.

Mind you, it was only a few years ago that my inside sources were saying that there would never be a 76 note Tyros, so it does show that if the demand is there, Yamaha will change their minds!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:33:17 AM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 06:42:20 AM »
Hello Joe

Thanks for adding this board.   I own a dgx650 which I adore playing but yet have done any registrations and recordings.
Perhaps because also have 2 arrangers, don't have a need to record.   Would be happy to hear piano recordings from these
machines.    88 keys,,, can't beat that...............

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:27:36 AM »
Hi Elaine

You asked about hearing the CVP piano sounds.
If you look at the Songs/Performers page you will see some 65 members listed, of these, only 3 are playing CVP.
I'm a bit reluctant to suggest this, given my somewhat amateurish playing, but have listen to my efforts (Ken Toone) playing the CVP605.
I realize that the piano sounds, are not quite up to the 609/709 standard, but least it will give you some idea.
Possibly, 'Song for guy' would be the best example.

Best regards. Ken.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:44:02 AM »
Thanks

Ken

Appreciate the info.

cheers
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »

I realize that the piano sounds, are not quite up to the 609/709 standard

I don't think there is any noticeable piano sound difference from 605 to 705, maybe none at all. The main difference is the updated arranger section and other voices - roughly T4 equivalent to T5 equivalent.
The -05 vs -09 is also not a difference in sound, only keyboard response.
Mike

Offline pkgarrett

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
I have found the psrtutorial to be extremely useful and I greatly appreciate all of the time and labor that was obviously put into its formation.  I have a CVP 407 and dearly love playing it.  I also have a portable piano model DGX 530 that I take with me when my husband and I travel in our RV.  I play only melody and chords but the Clavinova makes it sound good.  I am presently using the Music Finder Viewer and Music Finder Manager to make additional Music Finder Files for the Clavinova.  I don't have much luck using Midi files because they usually contain the bass clef and I have a difficult time reading it, so I make my own midi files by recording songs as I play them. 
I hope other Clavinova players will contribute to the new forum.  Thank you so much for creating it.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Hi Pkgarrett,

Welcome to the forum and a great keyboard website.  This board was recently created for members that own a Clavinova, such as yourself.  I know you are really going to enjoy this great website.

There's a wealth of information here, so when you have time, please take a look at some of the tutorials you will find links to on the Home page.

This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

If you later decide to become a supporting member, other forum boards will become available to you as well as an additional wealth of musical knowledge.

We're very glad to have you as a member.  If you have any questions just ask.  You will find many members here very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Rondonc

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
Hi Clavi players

At last, I feel amongst friends who like me, love the feel of a piano keyboard beneath their fingers.
I have to admit I do miss the extra voice on the right hand but the V Console might be the answer to that. Yes, quite expensive but  nothing like the money we lose when we trade up.
I play the CVP605  and have converted quite a few Tyros 4 registrations/styles from various sources for me to use, all on memory sticks.
Happy playing everyone.
Ron

Offline Rondonc

Midi Designer MD/XG
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
Has anybody out there had any experience of Midi Designer MD/XG, an app that utilise the XG voices of the Clavinova.  It is a very comprehensive piece of software  and I am wondering if it can be used to add an extra right hand voice to the Clavi. I have managed to connect it wirelessly to my 605 and play from the virtual keyboard on my iPad, but unable to activate the selected voice by playing the Clavi. Any help will be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
Ron

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 02:15:13 AM »
I have a CVP 605 and a CVP 709 and I can say that they both sound and feel different from each other in many aspects. I use Music Finder a lot and the sounds and rhythms differ between the models. And interchanging registrations isn't flawless. So I often have to modify the registrations to work well. The screen in 709 is much easier to navigate due to the bigger size.

On some songs I actually prefer the 605 but usually the 709 is a major upgrade. The sounds can be a bit shrill and yell and need to be tamed. Esp sax and horn-sections. The sound level also differs between the two models - which wasn't expected.

I previously had a DGX-650 and understood that the concept was right - but not the touch and sounds so I was curious to enter next level. It ended with the 605 after playtesting in a shop. Shortly after the CVP 709 was released. And I ordered one blindly. And was very satisfied.

Summary; Big differende between DGX-650 and CVP 605. And BIG difference between 605 and 709. I think it's worth the price. And For homeplaying it is unsurpassed.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff J

Offline Jeff J

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
Thomas - you must be playing piano a lot, in order to afford the CVP 709. That is a really nice electric piano. (jealous here)
Jeff
PSR-S770 owner.....in Austin, Texas

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Yes!

Every morning and evening I try to play 30 min or more. I seldom sit more than one hour, for different reasons.

Well a CVP is pricey but affordable for most people if they want to put up the money for somthing  they like. A sportscar is more expensive so it depends what you want to spend your money on.

Hope you get to play one!