Author Topic: Using USB Flash Drive with Yamaha PSR E453  (Read 6674 times)

Offline Cowgirlpoet

Using USB Flash Drive with Yamaha PSR E453
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
I have  been trying to connect a USB Flash Drive to my new Yamaha PSR.  I have midi files on the flash drive in a File called USER FILE.  When I plug the flash drive in and press the Function Key, then Load USR, I get a message that says no files.   Any suggestions?

Online Roger Brenizer

Re: Using USB Flash Drive with Yamaha PSR E453
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
Hi Cowgirlpoet,

You said; "I have midi files on the flash drive in a File called USER FILE."  Do you mean you have midi files in a Folder named USER FILE on the flash drive?
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline jppt20

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
Hi cowgirlpoet,

Are you trying to access midi in your usb? Can you try this... when usb is connected, press SONG button, then rotate the dial and search for your MIDIs. There are built-in songs that will be in the mix of SONG list selection including MIDIs in your USER FILE or Root of USB... As I have tried out recently, there is no way to view or search per folder. If you have different folders in the usb, including the USER FILE folder, I think it will search, Root files, then files per folder, up to a certain sub-folder (3rd?). I recall seeing this is in page 20 something of the manual (the SONG button)... Hope that helps.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
I have  been trying to connect a USB Flash Drive to my new Yamaha PSR.  I have midi files on the flash drive in a File called USER FILE.  When I plug the flash drive in and press the Function Key, then Load USR, I get a message that says no files.   Any suggestions?

The "Load USR" operation is for loading a User file, which isn't the same thing as a MIDI file. A User file will have a name ranging from USER001.USR through USER100.USR, and it may contain User Songs, User Registrations, and User Styles, depending on the information that was present in the keyboard's memory when the User file was saved.

The User files of different models aren't interchangeable, so you won't be able to load a User file into your PSR-E453 unless it was saved on a PSR-E453. If you have a User file from an earlier model then it might be possible to convert it to the format used by the PSR-E453, but there aren't any programs yet than can do that automatically, so it would need to be done manually using a hex editor.

On the other hand, if you're actually trying to load MIDI song files into your PSR-E453, those are called SMFs (Standard MIDI Files) and the PSR-E453 and other PSR-E models don't have a "Load SMF" function-- but you can still play SMFs. If you really want to load them into the keyboard's memory, you'll need to use Yamaha's Musicsoft Downloader program to do that. But you don't need to do that, because you can play MIDI song files or SMFs directly off of the USB thumb drive (which is why there's no function for loading them). Just do the following:

(1) Plug in the USB thumb drive and wait for the USB indicator on the LCD screen to stop flashing.

(2) Press the SONG button to put the keyboard into Song mode.

(3) Use the big dial, or the CATEGORY plus and minus buttons, or the YES/plus and NO/minus buttons, or the number buttons, or some combination of those, to search through the list of songs until you find the one you want to play. The built-in preset songs will be listed first as song numbers 001 through 030, followed by the ten User Songs which are numbered 031 through 040 (and which might be blank unless you've recorded something), followed by any MIDI song files you might have transferred to the keyboard's memory with the Musicsoft Downloader, and followed lastly by any MIDI song files that are on the USB thumb drive. If no MIDI song files have been transferred to the keyboard with the Musicsoft Downloader then the ones on the USB thumb drive will start at song number 041, otherwise the songs that were transferred will start at song number 041 and the ones on the USB thumb drive will come after that.

(4) Once the song you want to play is showing on the LCD screen, all you need to do is press Play (the START/STOP button).

I hope this has helped you accomplish what you're trying to do. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline troppo19

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
Recently acquired a PSR-E453. The owner manual isn't particularly helpful on flash drives, and the Yamaha document, en-16PSR-EH-EHW.pdf, "Compatible USB Device List" kind of misses the point imo. I have about two dozen flash drives, none of which are listed, and no way was I willing to go buy one that is.
Reading between the lines, it looks like the E453 can use USB 2.0 drives, and uses the FAT32 format. It does not do any low level formatting, will not recognise more than one partition, and doesn't handle some drives that have "protection" functions added by the supplier. I needed to completely clean some drives using a partition manager on a desktop pc before they would work. Lexar, EMTEC and several unlisted Sandisk drives all worked ok.

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
I doubt it will do any good to post further explanations in this thread, because Cowgirlpoet hasn't been active on the forum since the day the question was posted, June 6, 2016.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page