Author Topic: Transferring 16 tracks of Audio to a DAW  (Read 1524 times)

Offline rdaniel

Transferring 16 tracks of Audio to a DAW
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:14:27 PM »
Hello, I have recorded songs on the S900 and wanted to bounce the tracks to a software DAW. Currently I am using the USB recorder feature on S900 and record the tracks one by one to the USB and take it to the computer. This is taking 45 to 60 minutes to record 12-16 tracks on USB. Is there a better way to transfer these tracks without compromising audio quality?

I could use MIDI to record the 16 tracks at once, however I will have to depend on the VST plugin which obviously does not match the voice on the hardware synth.

Do the PSRs provide a Digital or optical output so I could record up to 8 tracks at once.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline andyg

Re: Transferring 16 tracks of Audio to a DAW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:16:45 AM »
If you want 16 tracks of audio, you'll have to record each one separately into the DAW. However, are you able to link the line outputs of the S900 to the audio inputs of your computer? If so, that will be much faster than recording multiple tracks to USB stick. If your computer doesn't have a line input socket, then maybe a small inexpensive mixer would be a good idea, or a USB Audio interface that has line level inputs.

You might also like to think about zeroing all DSP effects in the S900 and using the DSP effects in the DAW at a later stage in the production process. Depends on how good your DAW's DSP effects are, of course, and you may not have all of the ones you need, like rotary speaker for the organ flutes. Doing things later means you can make as many trial mixes as you need to.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
rdaniel,

You can't record 16 tracks of audio on the S900. The USB Audio recorder only records 2 track stereo.  So a better explanation is needed from you to know exactly what you are doing.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:52:12 AM »
As I see it, the explanation is already there! He has a 16 track song in the MIDI recorder and is playing back and therefore exporting those tracks one at a time to the DAW, via the S900's Record to USB Audio function.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:39:09 AM »
I would think he could load the MIDI file into the DAW and assign VST Voices to the MIDI tracks.  But I see he wants the S900 Voices on individual audio tracks in his DAW so he can manipulate them some how(?).  If that's the case I don't see another method than what he is doing now.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
I agree, but it does depend on how good your VST instruments are! I'm lucky and have a good collection, but even so there are times when I'll record MIDI song on the organ or keyboard and then take an individual track from it across to the DAW. And as some of those instruments are miles apart, I also have to use the USB method, cumbersome though it is.

www.andrew-gilbert.com