Author Topic: Playing guitar through Tyros?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Del 123

Playing guitar through Tyros?
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:57:36 AM »

Hi,
I am thinking of buying an electro-acoustic guitar (Fender CD-60CE).

On Wednesday this week I listened to the live performers down in the Cavern Club in Liverpool who were playing many Beatles songs (was actually free admission!) ...I'm afraid I have  caught the guitar bug!!

I was hoping you may be able to offer your advice. Do you know if I can play a guitar through/via the back of the Tyros 5 and take advantage of the various inboard amp selections?

I could hook it up directly into my external amp/speakers which is already connected to my keyboard but would prefer to hook up the guitar to the T5 ..if possible, if so, which port would I need to use?

Regards
Darren

Offline Jeff Hollande

Re: Playing guitar through Tyros?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »
Hi Darren,

Why not use a DAW instead of going through the aux in of your kb ? 8)

Simply buy yourself a second hand external USB audio card and a small mixer, plug in your keyboard and your guitar in the mixer and make your recordings in a DAW.
Some DAW progs are free of charge ( like Audacity e.g. ). See internet.

After you have recorded all your keyboard tracks in your DAW, you can record your additional guitar parts ( fill ins, chords. solo's etc. ) in separate audio tracks.
Do not use any fx's nor panning. Just make your recording as clean as possible.

Once you are happy with the recording results you can assign VST's ( fx like boost, reverb, delay, flanger, chorus, distortion,etc. etc. ) to each track to make your final sound. 
Watch always your volume to avoid deformation.

Last but not least make your mixdown ( panning & volume ) and create a master track ( stereo 2 track ).

Using a DAW is a lot easier to make corrections, changes, volume, pan and other adjustments.

The big advantage : you can focus on your kb - and your guitar skills separately.

And ... you can also add your vocals after you have recorded all your instruments.
Of course you can edit ( double, reverb & delay etc. ) your vocals in a DAW too.

Think it over   ;) ...

Jeff

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:20:53 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline broker22

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »
If you want to go throught the tyros 5 just plug your guitar into the mic. jack  Cal.

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
Hi Darren,

Here's a YouTube video you can check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxht6pxPi0
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Del 123

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I now hope to find a dedicated forum site for Fender guitars and check whether my guitar choice (Fender CD60 CE) will suit my needs.

Regards
Darren

Offline meghayadav045

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
If u r looking for buy electronic guitar.U can buyElectro Acoustic Guitar Online. There are many popular and stylish guitar available in ur budget.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:19:25 PM by meghayadav045 »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
Hi Darren,

Here's a YouTube video you can check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxht6pxPi0

Hi Roger,

this is a very cool video. I am impressed about the quality of the T5 amp DSPs.

There is one followup question: How can we create a comparable sound by playing the keyboard. Are there SA or SA2 guitar voices that match the real thing? I never reached that goal, because simple things like palm mute etc. are not well done by sample based voices.

Any ideas?
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:51:13 AM »
Hi Darren

Guitars play great thro the T5. To use the effects you need to play thro the mike input (the  effects do not play from Aux input).
You need to the mike setting with the noise gate off, otherwise the guitar strings sustain can come to an abrupt early end on long notes.
Also set VH  off, otherwise strange noises can occur if you play with the keyboard.

Cheers Terry

Offline Del 123

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:11 PM »

Hi Terry,
Thank you for the tip. ::) I had forgotten about this post (Which I started early in 2016!) I am pleased it has resurfaced.

To give you an update, I bought an acoustic guitar in the end - a nice 'cedar top' Loar model and I had the string action lowered for ease of playing. I am still learning and can almost knock out a few reasonable songs ... my favorite song being ..while my guitar gently weeps. Please check out this link
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9EdFtm4JQ&feature=share. The girl in the YouTube video is amazing and inspired me to go down the finger picking route.

Just to say that I am still a proud owner of the T5 76 and in absolutely no rush to change it to a new Genos or what ever it is going to be calledcalled! I will respite temptation! Maybe in 2 or 3 years down the line when any hiccups have finally ironed out ..and better perhaps packages might be on offer.

I have upgraded my sound system on the Tyros. I recently purchased a pair of new Roland HS5 powered studio speakers along with a HS8s Subwoofer..this system has totally changed the demanics of the Tyros!! It is like having a new keyboard all over again. I am home player only and the sound is perfect. I can adjust the sound to suit the room.

I would be interested if any other person also has the new HS system?

Kind regards
Darren

Offline Del 123

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »

Sorry I meant to write Yamaha HS5 & HS8s Subwoofer...what on earth was I thinking writing Roland down! ..it was be the hot & humid weather we are having in the UK at the moment!

Regards
Darren