Author Topic: Tyros 6 announcement this year?  (Read 14848 times)

Offline guitpic1

Tyros 6 announcement this year?
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »
Any speculation as to whether or not we'll hear about a new Tyros whatever this year?

I'm looking to get down to one arranger to perform with.  I've been impressed with both my S970 and Tyros 4.  And wish I could magically combine the two into one keyboard the size of, say, a Korg PA 4X...weight is not that big a deal.... size is.

When the Korg PA 4X came out, I thought about buying that keyboard(still am thinking about it), just for its size along with sliders and controllers.  But it has issues and doesn't have the support Yamaha arrangers have. 

Wish I knew what Yamaha is doing next...with arrangers that is.

:)
guitpic1

PA 4X, S970, DGX650, JBL Eon One, SSV.3

Offline EileenL

Re: Tyros 6 announcement this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:07:06 AM »
It will be a while yet before we know anything. May be not this year.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
Hi --

You might want to check out my post about the Motif follow-on. There is a shopping list of technologies near the end of the post that lists some of the things that Yamaha have been working on (and filing patents about). It might give you an idea about what the future holds.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/new-workstation-namm-2016/

Winter NAMM 2016 starts January 21 and if Yamaha announces the Motif follow-on, that might give us some idea of that might be included in the Tyros follow-on.

That's a lot of "mights"!  ;D Only Yamaha really know the what and when.

My intuition tells me that the Tyros follow-on will be a substantial change. That's a total guess based upon their patent filings. Thus, the new workstation may not appear until 2017.

I would like to upgrade to a flagship workstation (currently playing S950 and MOX). I'm willing to wait for the Tyros follow-on and compare that against the new synth workstation (should it appear beforehand). Only so much money to spend on these things. In the meantime, I'm having a blast digging into what I have already. (Cue Massive Attack's "Be Thankful for What You Got.)  :D

All the best in the new year -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:58:30 AM »
pj,

As always... your articles are an interesting read my friend.

Regards,
Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
Hi Joe --

Thanks! Just got back from Seattle and a visit with our son and daughter-in-law. Five hours (each way) on an airplane gave me plenty of time to think about Yamaha's next moves.  :D :D I need to jot some of this stuff down.

All the best -- pj

Online Bachus

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Michel voncken said on a demo, that the current T5 about half life...

Which means late 2017 at best... Maybe even 2018
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Online voodoo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:25:24 AM »
Just got back from Seattle and a visit with our son and daughter-in-law. Five hours (each way) on an airplane gave me plenty of time to think about Yamaha's next moves.  :D :D I need to jot some of this stuff down.

We are waiting for it. ;)

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »
Hi Uli --

Your wish is my command.  :D :D :D

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/new-yamaha-workstation-2/

I think Motif’s place on the stage has been challenged by Nord and Korg, and the next workstation is Yamaha’s chance to fight back. I expect the next workstation to build on Motif’s functionality, but add the synthesis methods needed to compete against 'boards like the Nord Stage and Korg Kronos. If Yamaha rolls the Reface technology into the new workstation (and I think they will), they would meet the competition pretty well.

Yeah, this might disappoint people who would like to see mind-blowing modeled analog or real analog, but there are so many great choices out there already (Moog, Dave Smith, etc.)

When folks read this article, they could almost replace "new Motif" with "new Tyros." Yamaha face similar challenges against the Pa4X, needing better acoustic/electric piano and organ. Whether Yamaha adds FM or virtual analog (VA) to the Tyros follow-on depends on demand (us). FM and VA is the next arranger flagship is an open question; Yamaha may not see the need.

All the best -- pj

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
Michel voncken said on a demo, that the current T5 about half life...

Which means late 2017 at best... Maybe even 2018

The Tyros 5 was announced in 2013, right?
guitpic1

Online voodoo

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:08:23 AM »
Hi Uli --

Thank you very much. I learn very much from your postings every time. Also your link to the Yamaha Synth blog (www.yamahasynth.com) of Phil Clendeninn was very interesting. So I try to understand the history of E-Pianos and Organs and their counterparts in our keyboards. I will reactivate my old NI B4 (only works in16 bit VST hosts) and compare its sounds with the PSR and the available expansions.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Online Bachus

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 09:33:37 PM »
Hi Uli --

I think Motif’s place on the stage has been challenged by Nord and Korg, and the next workstation is Yamaha’s chance to fight back. I expect the next workstation to build on Motif’s functionality, but add the synthesis methods needed to compete against 'boards like the Nord Stage and Korg Kronos. If Yamaha rolls the Reface technology into the new workstation (and I think they will), they would meet the competition pretty well.

Yeah, this might disappoint people who would like to see mind-blowing modeled analog or real analog, but there are so many great choices out there already (Moog, Dave Smith, etc.)

When folks read this article, they could almost replace "new Motif" with "new Tyros." Yamaha face similar challenges against the Pa4X, needing better acoustic/electric piano and organ. Whether Yamaha adds FM or virtual analog (VA) to the Tyros follow-on depends on demand (us). FM and VA is the next arranger flagship is an open question; Yamaha may not see the need.

All the best -- pj

I am with you on this one... My expectations are along the same lines...

Tough i suspect it will also be a studio beast and function as a 16 or 32 channel audio interface for Cubase...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Offline videorov

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
How much more can they pack into say a Tyros 6   over the 76key Tyros 5 that is out now. That thing does so much now.
I have a PSR-S970  I picked up to use along with my Kronos 2 88key.

Not sure how much more the Tyros 5 has over the PSR-S970 since it cam out. They sure are selling alot of the
970's. The price is not bad.
Maybe a Tyros 6 will look at the pricing to compete a bit better then in the past, who knows.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 12:12:32 AM »
Will the New T6 be called Genos ?

Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline Lloyd E

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »
Jeff,
I believe it will be called "Genos". I think you will see it before this years end.    Lloyd

Offline FredrikC

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
I've set up Google Alerts for both Tyros 6 and for Yamaha Genos.  If something gets announced, I should get an email.
Fred

Yamaha: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, DX-7, SY-99 (last two in attic)
Other: Kronos2 88, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, eMu MPS (also in attic)
RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 02:23:22 PM »
Don't hold your breath ;D

angelonyc

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
As Spock once said,  'It's not wise to indulge in idle speculation'.. 

Although it is fun, and nice to hear other peoples ideas.. 

Still the next arranger will show up when it does, with the features it has.. 

Offline Chandeneze

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 02:36:42 AM »
I really think Yamaha will have to do something out of this world now that I have the Korg PAx4 It is amazing and comparing it with my Tyros 4 the sound is just so much more realistic on the Korg. I hope we are going to hear a complete new set of styles as the styles are really getting boring. Since 9000pro we have the same styles just better quality. I will hope that we have all the styles of the T1 T2 T3 T4 T5 combined with a new set of styles or at least have the option of compatibility of FFS 2 and bcs.  and enough storage with easy access. Sad we have all the controls on the Tyros but of no use without spending a arm and a leg on expansions. The organ sound can also be improved to the real Hammond sound. Roland,  to my opinion is by far the best. Price wise I doubt if the New Yamaha will compare to Korg. Such a pity that wersi is so overpriced. Wersi definitely do not cater for the man on the street, only for the rich and famous looking at the price of the new Sonic keyboard.   Hope we are going to be surprised by Yamaha. Will rather stick to the name we know.

Greeting to all Yamaha players     

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:39 AM »
We all have different idea's on how keyboards should sound. Organs especially. As to Styles I would agree that I would like to see new ones. I always save the styles of previous keyboards I have owned so can always fall back on them if I choose.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »
I really think Yamaha will have to do something out of this world now that I have the Korg PAx4 It is amazing and comparing it with my Tyros 4 the sound is just so much more realistic on the Korg.

Greeting to all Yamaha players   

My PA 4X has many advantages that my(sold)Tyros 4 does not, including much more realistic styles and drums etc.

However when it comes to holiday styles tailor made for specific songs, Yamaha does shine.  I also believe the community support to be very good with Yamaha.  I still have an S970 I like to use for holiday gigs.

But for me to switch from my PA 4X to a Tyros 6 or whatever it's called, it would have to be something special.

guitpic1

Online Bachus

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
My PA 4X has many advantages that my(sold)Tyros 4 does not, including much more realistic styles and drums etc.

However when it comes to holiday styles tailor made for specific songs, Yamaha does shine.  I also believe the community support to be very good with Yamaha.  I still have an S970 I like to use for holiday gigs.

But for me to switch from my PA 4X to a Tyros 6 or whatever it's called, it would have to be something special.

If you want something special, you could allready switch to Tyros5...  its very special...

Online voodoo

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »

This is well said. Nowadays, the competition is too strong to go on as usual, and Yamaha is in charge to do some innovation.
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 02:49:01 AM »
Special to one person is not always special to another. Getting the balance right is not an easy job. You either like Yamaha products or you don't. One keyboard dose one thing and a different keyboard does another. Chose the one that suits your needs. I don't think there will ever be a keyboard that someone dose not want something else added or complain about its piano's.
  Me I buy a keyboard just to sit and play it and create pleasant music that pleases me and hopefully others who enjoy listening. I tweak it up to the sounds I like by using the effects such as panning, reverb and DSP and I am happy.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »
To me, the biggest factor for a gigging musician, is the size of the keyboard for transport.  My PA 4X is smaller than my S970 yet has all the controls, sliders and pop up screen of a Tyros.  It also has what feels like to me, a better keybed than my Tyros 4 has...though I'm certainly no expert there.

I'm not bashing my sold Tyros but rather saying I hope Yamaha, in a future Tyros, can match some of these features that my 4X has.

A price comparable to the 4X wouldn't hurt either.   :)

guitpic1

Offline dacca

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »

Hello friends I have tyros 4 and korg Pa4x and that is a combination and I have to say you can not be better greetings Marc

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
Hello friends I have tyros 4 and korg Pa4x and that is a combination and I have to say you can not be better greetings Marc

PA 4X and S970...both excellent.

Sometimes I can't help but think the best thing Yamaha arrangers have going are the many styles and this forum. 

:)
guitpic1

Offline EileenL

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 03:56:48 AM »
Yes I for one would miss all the lovely Yamaha styles I have collected over the years especially the ones I have converted from Tecnics.

Online Bachus

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 06:06:09 AM »
Yes I for one would miss all the lovely Yamaha styles I have collected over the years especially the ones I have converted from Tecnics.

This is why i expected gigging pro players would stick to their brand....  because with current backward compatibillity ..   changing to a new brand takes so much much more work...

And i agree with you Eileen, there is 2 things that make yamaha my brand... and thats the huge collection of styles and the friendly sharing community....

Offline Enildo

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
First of all, congratulations to all of you for the high level leadership that I am participating in this forum today.

My first Yamaha keyboard was a Psr 520. Before buying it it had an old Casio (which separated the speakers, lol). When I changed the Casio for Psr 520, I thought it was great! From there to here I went through Psr 540, 3000, s910, s950 and today I'm with s970. I can say that Yamaha has advanced a lot!

At the time and using the Psr 520, every keyboardist's dream was the Roland G800. I did not even dream because I could not buy. Lol ...
Today, the colleagues who at the time owned the G800, have the dream of buying the Psr s970 and praise it a lot. Very expensive for us Brazilians (price ranges from $ 3000.00 to $ 3500.00).

In Brazil we have many musical styles because it is a very big country (Bossa, Samba, Forró, Axé, Sertanejo, etc), these styles are only well made if they have sampled tones. For me what was missing from the yamaha arrangers was the samples issue, which the s970 has 512mb! The samples made many keyboard players switch from Roland and Korg to Yamaha. I am very happy with the s970. All my Brazilian styles are sampled and people often confuse with a band of 6 musicians.

Hug to everyone!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:26:29 PM by Enildo »
Psr s970 - The best PSR!

Offline Mellontikos

• Assoc Member
  • Tyros 4, 01/W, N5EX, Roland BK5, WS Legacy, Reason
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
To me, the biggest factor for a gigging musician, is the size of the keyboard for transport.  My PA 4X is smaller than my S970 yet has all the controls, sliders and pop up screen of a Tyros.  It also has what feels like to me, a better keybed than my Tyros 4 has...though I'm certainly no expert there.

I'm not bashing my sold Tyros but rather saying I hope Yamaha, in a future Tyros, can match some of these features that my 4X has.

A price comparable to the 4X wouldn't hurt either.   :)

I went from a PA 1X Pro to Tyros 4.

PA 1X was basically a Korg i Series with the Korg Triton sounds. It was good, and I liked the look of it. But the thing was humongous, heavy and cumbersome. I really got sick of getting my deadlift and power clean workouts just setting the keyboard up on gigging days.

Tried a PA 3X, wasn't impressed. Had more features for sure, but sound wise, and style wise, it was roughly similar. Tried a Tyros 4 and I loved the sounds. Great stock acoustic piano, great layered styles, and overall better sounds than any Arranger from Korg.

I still hate the extremely limited sampler (but at least it has one, and I've worked around it as best as I could), and I hate that you're pretty much locked to the styles on board (I know there's non-official options, but they are all hacked features, and take a long time to get right.)

Tyros 5 had some good upgrades (particularly the Audio Styles) but for what I do, not a single one of them works, which is too bad. The rest was almost on par with T4 and not worth the upgrade,

When Tyros 6-7-whatever gets released, I will compare to whatever Korg has at the time and buy that.

Kronos is a nice board, but all the sounds bore me. I don't need 20 different variations of an Acoustic Piano, or 20 variations of a Dyno Rhodes. I need, 2 or 3 really good ones for live playing, and that's it.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
Well, I’m sitting here with both the S970 and Tyros 5, anxiously awaiting, like everyone else, to see what appears----if it does.  The T5 is too bulky and heavy for regular gigging, so I use the S970.  Any new upgrade for me will depend on price, size/weight, and what I might be able to get for one of my boards.  I’m sure Yamaha will make any new features extremely desirable for an upgrade.  However, at least half of my gigs, now, are with Band In A Box and guitar.  I wish new Yamaha upgrades would approximate or exceed the sound of BIAB’s “real styles”, that use professional musicians, who create and play real instruments within the styles.

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »
The T5 is too bulky and heavy for regular gigging, so I use the S970
I use a T5-76 for the rehearsal and gigs, moving it in a Gator 88 case. I also drag these things along, every time: 3 foot switches, keyboard stand, mic stand, mic, cables, iPad and a compact Montarbo MP4 PA. Admitted, it is quite some work every time. But I wouldn't want to go back to my previous keyboard, an S-950 ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:03:00 PM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76