Author Topic: s970 & s770 erratic behaviour / faulty [A] to [J] buttons - is yours affected?  (Read 168089 times)

Happy Jack

szwarc:  Hello back,

Bear in mind that the PSR-9000 was Yamaha's top / flagship model of the day, with a big price tag, equivalent to buying a new Tyros today.  Perhaps it would be an unfair comparison, as current Tyros's have no integral speakers. The  PSR-S970 is top of the middle range

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your PSR-S970 and hope it will soon be resolved for you.

Can I ask this:  Were you disappointed with your new PSR-S970's performance before you discovered the A-J button issue?   Why didn't you just return it directly for a full refund citing a disappointing performance?

But perhaps your retailer had no returns policy at all on new instruments? Here in the UK, many retailers have an easy returns policy on new instruments: like return within 7 days / 14 days, whatever.

But maybe in Poland it is different.

best regards and good luck
   Jack 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:43:41 PM by Happy Jack »

Offline EileenL

The lattest update seems to have cured the button problem for most.

Happy Jack

The lattest update seems to have cured the button problem for most.

Eileen, that is good to hear. I see that Joe H (and Joe's brother) with a couple of other members, say the latest firmware update has cured / or virtually cured the A-J button issue.

cheers
  Jack

szwarc

I was disappointed with the instrument at once after the purchase, peculiarly with these loudspeakers, which instead of normally to play only are squeaking.
Of defects in buttons A-J only complemented my disappointment.
I made a mistake, that I had ordered the instrument earlier not testing him - being based exactly on an PSR-9000 quality.
Theoretically I could give it back (10 days) but it wouldn't be simple - I would have to probably struggle legally with the shop.

Happy Jack

I was disappointed with the instrument at once after the purchase, peculiarly with these loudspeakers, which instead of normally to play only are squeaking.
Of defects in buttons A-J only complemented my disappointment.
I made a mistake, that I had ordered the instrument earlier not testing him - being based exactly on an PSR-9000 quality.
Theoretically I could give it back (10 days) but it wouldn't be simple - I would have to probably struggle legally with the shop.

Hi again, szwarc

Okay, you made a small mistake, thinking that all latest Yamaha PSR-S's keyboard speakers would sound like your old PSR-9000.  But hey! - I wish I were the copyright owner of other folks' mistakes, eh!  What a rich life I could live collecting all those royalties.  :)

On the bright side, with the reported software 'fix' for the button issue, you might at least be confident in asking a good price in selling it.  Perhaps your dealer might offer you the full price paid against another, more expensive model? 

I can certainly understand your irritation,  having seen the photos of your PSR-S970, which was returned to you unfixed but with heavy scratches on the casing.

happy regards
  Jack

Rrgramps

szwarc, if loudness of integral speakers is now paramount to you,  perhaps you might check out the new Casio arranger keyboard - 40 watts output?   (see the Musikmesse exhibition 2016). 

best regards,
  Jack
Jack, I am leery of Casio's ability to compete sound wise with Yamaha.

over a month age, I purchased the Casio Privia PX-560, thinking that it's voices and accompaniments would take the place of my PSR-3000.  However, except for piano tone with 88-keys and weighted truer to piano feel, its sounds are so disappointing in everything else. Even an old PSR-3000 trumps it with its styles and voices being much superior.

I can't even begin to imagine how a PSR-s970 would compare.

EDIT:   The 560 is superior as a piano, and that was my main reason for keeping it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:29:58 PM by Rrgramps »

szwarc

Casio are very good - but watches

Happy Jack

Jack, I am leery of Casio's ability to compete sound wise with Yamaha.

over a month age, I purchased the Casio Privia PX-560, thinking that it's voices and accompaniments would take the place of my PSR-3000.  However, except for piano tone with 88-keys and weighted truer to piano feel, its sounds are so disappointing in everything else. Even an old PSR-3000 trumps it with its styles and voices being much superior.

I can't even begin to imagine how a PSR-s970 would compare.

EDIT:   The 560 is superior as a piano, and that was my main reason for keeping it.

Howdo there, gramps,

Sorry but I'm running for cover here,  before the start of a fanboy spitting contest.   :) :)

happy regards
    Jack

textbook

I agree,  the Casio Piano sound is noticeable better than my 970,  and IMO a touch better that the T5 Piano too,  but AYS the other voices are not so good, and the styles are poor, which is why I use the Casio piano for lead, and do the accompaniment on my 970.

Check out the Casio Piano numbers with 970 accompaniment I recently posted in the members songs section, as a dedication to my wife.  Those numbers were 2 of her favourites.

Best wishes... Cameron
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:12:16 AM by textbook »

Rrgramps

I agree,  the Casio Piano sound is noticeable better than my 970,  and IMO a touch better that the T5 Piano too,  but AYS the other voices are not so good, and the styles are poor, which is why I use the Casio piano for lead, and do the accompaniment on my 970.

Check out the Casio Piano numbers with 970 accompaniment I recently posted in the members songs section, as a dedication to my wife who sadly passed away last Monday. The numbers were 2 of her favourites.

Best wishes... Cameron
I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm stunned. Losing the love of our life is something that is the most devastating thing we ever go through. In 1971, my first wife lost her life in a car accident; something that I'll never forget, even to this day. Life does go on, and we do have purpose to continue, even though it is really hard at times. My condolences and prayers go out for you.

topick

My PSR-A3000 which I bought it about two months ago, I did notice the erratic behavior of "A to J" buttons but thought I'm doing it wrong. Few days later, I noticed that it is happening by itself and it is not me. I updated the firmware to V1.02 (last week) and seems like the issue is gone away.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:11:44 PM by topick »

topick

Let me correct myself, the problem is still there and firmware update V1.02 "DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE".

szwarc

Today I got my instrument. The casing was replaced.
The service still insisted that the instrument didn't have a defect.

When I installed the 1.05 software the problem disappeared.

Anyway at once today (how I only brought the instrument from the service) I exchanged PSR-S 970 for KORG Pa900.
I am pleased that I managed to get rid of this instrument.
Never again i will buy Yamaha, for what company Yamaha treated me.

As for me the first impression is doing KORG Pa900 remarkable. He doesn't look like PSR-S 970 so nicely but sounds are outdoing Yamaha.

Anyway I want to say goodbye to you and to thank you for the help.

I am greeting you everyone warmly.

DonM

You'll love the PA900, particularly if you sing.  It has excellent voice processor and harmonizer.
Stick around here too though!

Happy Jack

Today I got my instrument. The casing was replaced.
The service still insisted that the instrument didn't have a defect.

When I installed the 1.05 software the problem disappeared.

Anyway at once today (how I only brought the instrument from the service) I exchanged PSR-S 970 for KORG Pa900.
I am pleased that I managed to get rid of this instrument.
Never again i will buy Yamaha, for what company Yamaha treated me.

As for me the first impression is doing KORG Pa900 remarkable. He doesn't look like PSR-S 970 so nicely but sounds are outdoing Yamaha.

Anyway I want to say goodbye to you and to thank you for the help.

I am greeting you everyone warmly.

to szwarc:  Good luck on your new path, sir!  Don't be a stranger on this excellent site, though, for there's plenty of useful stuff here for all users.  :)

to all:  Might be upgrading from my PSR-E later this year: Is the consensus opinion that the psr-s770 / s970 'button blight' was definitely fixed with the most recent software upgrade?

good regards to all,
   Jack

textbook

I would not say it 100% fixed it Jack,  I've not played my keyboards for some weeks,  but I can say it definitely improved it dramatically.

In my testing of 1.05 firmware, it was quickly apparent things had improved,  in general use I found if I pressed on the low side of the button or between the low side and centre just occasionally, and by that I mean probably once or twice out of say 40 or 50 presses it would exit, so definitely a big improvement.  If I always pressed in the centre or between centre and the high side it never exited at all, and over time that's how I now always press them.   So definitely some noticeable improvement.

As far as I'm concerned it's pretty much become a non issue,  AIS I had become accustomed to pressing the buttons towards the high side anyway,  and since the 1.05 firmware it's almost impossible to get it to exit, and can only do so by deliberately pressing the low side of the button,  where previously doing so would have exited 1 in 5 presses.

I would also think later models would likely have improved switch panels,  as I still think the original problem was likely hardware,  which has been disguised/fixed by a software update,  so you really shouldn't have any issues on later models anyway I wouldn't have thought, as the ones you and I bought were some of the first in the UK last year.

Best wishes.

Cameron
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:09:57 PM by textbook »

Happy Jack

I would not say it 100% fixed it Jack,  I've not played my keyboards for some weeks,  but I can say it definitely improved it dramatically.

In my testing of 1.05 firmware, it was quickly apparent things had improved,  in general use I found if I pressed on the low side of the button or between the low side and centre just occasionally, and by that I mean probably once or twice out of say 40 or 50 presses it would exit, so definitely a big improvement.  If I always pressed in the centre or between centre and the high side it never exited at all, and over time that's how I now always press them.   So definitely some noticeable improvement.

As far as I'm concerned it's pretty much become a non issue,  AIS I had become accustomed to pressing the buttons towards the high side anyway,  and since the 1.05 firmware it's almost impossible to get it to exit, and can only do so by deliberately pressing the low side of the button,  where previously doing so would have exited 1 in 5 presses.

I would also think later models would likely have improved switch panels,  as I still think the original problem was likely hardware,  which has been disguised/fixed by a software update,  so you really shouldn't have any issues on later models anyway I wouldn't have thought, as the ones you and I bought were some of the first in the UK last year.

Best wishes.

Cameron

Greetings, Cameron,

Much appreciate your detailed response there.

thank-you
  Jack  :)

arvacon

Although this is an old topic, because I am waiting for my new psr-s770 to arrive in the next week, it made me feel a little worried.  :-\
You did a good work, as Yamaha finally listened and managed to do some fix about this problem, although it seems like they didn't fixed it 100%.

I have read all the posts of this topic and I realized that after the v1.05 firmware released, the complains stopped and this topic got silent. Some members mentioned that the problem fixed 100%, some others not quiet 100%.

All of these members had purchased their keyboards before April 2016, so as this topic seems silent from that moment and afterwards, does this means that Yamaha corrected also the new batches, so this problem does not exist anymore now?

It would be nice to see, if the new psr-s970-s770 owners of let's say 2017 and afterwards, have noticed this button problem even once, or if the firmware v1.06 finally fixed completely the issue for the 2016 owners.

Could you please check your keyboards and report back here, if there is still this problem exists?
This would make the few last new owners of these beautiful instruments to feel a little better.  :)

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:51:30 AM by arvacon »

Offline EileenL

I have the 970 and there is now no problem with buttons at all.

Offline Toril S

I have the S970. No problem😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

arvacon

If I recall, EileenL you had mentioned that yours never had this problem and you had bought this from 2015, right?

How about yours Toril S, what date did you buy this?

I am wondering, is there any way to identify when this product is made? Maybe a code at the box or from serial numbers? I know that a way is the firmware that it comes from the factory, but is there any other more accurate way to see the production date?

It would be helpful, if we could make a list with the serial numbers about the batches that they have or had this problem.

Offline Toril S

I purchased mine in September 2017.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

arvacon

I purchased mine in September 2017.

Do you have tried the tests that Chronos1976 suggests at the first post of this topic?

Offline Joe H

Although this is an old topic, because I am waiting for my new psr-s770 to arrive in the next week, it made me feel a little worried.  :-\
You did a good work, as Yamaha finally listened and managed to do some fix about this problem, although it seems like they didn't fixed it 100%.

I have read all the posts of this topic and I realized that after the v1.05 firmware released, the complains stopped and this topic got silent. Some members mentioned that the problem fixed 100%, some others not quiet 100%.

All of these members had purchased their keyboards before April 2016, so as this topic seems silent from that moment and afterwards, does this means that Yamaha corrected also the new batches, so this problem does not exist anymore now?

It would be nice to see, if the new psr-s970-s770 owners of let's say 2017 and afterwards, have noticed this button problem even once, or if the firmware v1.06 finally fixed completely the issue for the 2016 owners.

Could you please check your keyboards and report back here, if there is still this problem exists?
This would make the few last new owners of these beautiful instruments to feel a little better.  :)

Thanks in advance.

It was fixed with the latest firmware update.  You don't need to concern yourself with the button issue.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

arvacon

Anyway, I hope so.
I will report back when I will received mine.

WolfBack

There's no reason to worry about.
My s770 (Nov '16) was working fine with the v1.05 firmware, just the same as with v1.06.
Βe patient until your instrument comes and you will be completely happy with it.
 ;)

arvacon

That's perfect news then!!

It must have grown some white hairs at my head, after the disappointment that I felt yesterday, as I was reading all these posts..
I feel lucky that I didn't find this topic before I make the order, otherwise I wouldn't had order it.

I can't wait for it to arrive!  ;D

Offline EileenL

That is correct that I did not have a problem but I know others did and the update sorted it for them.

arvacon

Anyway, I hope so.
I will report back when I will received mine.

Just for the records..
After a month of using my lovely s770, I can confirm that there is no problem with the buttons.  :)

Offline Toril S

Congratulations with your S770!
Toril S

and PSR-47.