Author Topic: s970 & s770 erratic behaviour / faulty [A] to [J] buttons - is yours affected?  (Read 169226 times)

textbook

Would have to strongly disagree with you. It is not Yamaha themselves but the people involved with the servicing. Here in the UK we have excellent Technical support and repair service. We also don't appear to have the button problems either. I have spoken to a couple of dealers who have not heard of it.

The  reality is one only finds out how good any service department is when you actually need to send your instrument back to them for repair.   Yamaha Support staff wherever they are located represent Yamaha themselves, which is why they are very cautous in not admitting there's a fault whenever one speaks to them on the phone.   The tech support gentlemen I spoke to 3 different times at Yamaha UK since last October all said they are aware of this erratic key behaviour on some 770/970 keyboards,  and said you simply need to press the buttons on the outside (high point), and they work fine...in the meantime they assured me they were looking into the issue.

We most definitely do have this button issue on some keyboards in the UK,   as you know yourself Eileen both I and Happy Jack who returned his 770 plus my neighbour are obviously in the UK, or at least we were the last time I looked,  ;)  plus a very large retailer in York, and you can guess who I mean has had 5 customers report the problem and I was told that quite some time ago by one of their staff,  plus another dealer in Burton on Trent has also had complaints from a few customers regarding the buttons and has returned 3 boards to Yamaha for this problem.
I'm happy to name those 2 large dealers if you wish.   Plus there is one local dealer who is aware of the issue because I demonstrated it to him on 2 keyboards they had in their showroom,  so to say no UK dealers are aware is incorrect.

Also the original poster who started this thread is in the UK and had 2 boards changed for this issue,   just because you don't have the issue as I stated previously to you Eileen, does not mean it does not exist, as some boards are definitely affected, even here in the UK, I can only assume the number of boards affected are quite small...I honestly don't know.

My own 970 like Joe.H's 970 is currently not doing it quite so often at present,  does that mean all of a sudden the problem has disappeared entirely for everyone else that have the issue ?   of course not.   At the moment I can live with it, in fact I suspect this will remain a minor flaw on this 970 keyboard until such time I get rid of it, but it's not impacting my use or enjoyment of my 970 very much at the moment so like Joe it's something I'm tolerating and hoping that Yamaha at some point will acknowledge and put right in due course....fingers xxx.  A view shared by others with the issue I suspect.  In conclusion I like my 970,  I think it's excellent other that this odd A-E/F/J button issue where it exits back to the main menu, albeit in my case not so frequently as it once did thanks to constructive help from other users like Joe.H who have experienced the issue themselves, and have shared information, so a big thanks to all those members who have shared information in this thread.

Best wishes.... Cameron
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:03:01 PM by textbook »

Offline EileenL

Hi Cameron,
   I did not say all dealers I said a couple I have spoken to. I had one of the first keyboards in the country and updated the OS as soon as it came out and after much button pushing which I use whilst playing live and editing Styles etc can honestly say I have never had a problem. I do use centre or high part of the button and it always works. Of course if you accidentally press twice it will go back to the home page as this is a short cut on most Yamaha keyboards. I hope something gets sorted for you all.

Happy Jack

The  reality is one only finds out how good any service department is when you actually need to send your instrument back to them for repair.   Yamaha Support staff wherever they are located represent Yamaha themselves, which is why they are very cautous in not admitting there's a fault whenever one speaks to them on the phone.   The tech support gentlemen I spoke to 3 different times at Yamaha UK since last October all said they are aware of this erratic key behaviour on some 770/970 keyboards,  and said you simply need to press the buttons on the outside (high point), and they work fine...in the meantime they assured me they were looking into the issue.

We most definitely do have this button issue on some keyboards in the UK, and to state we don't is silly,  as you know yourself Eileen both I and Happy Jack who returned his 770 plus my neighbour are obviously in the UK, or at least we were the last time I looked,  ;)  plus a very large retailer in York, and you can guess who I mean has had 5 customers report the problem and I was told that quite some time ago by one of their staff,  plus another dealer in Burton on Trent has also had complaints from a few customers regarding the buttons and has returned 3 boards to Yamaha for this problem.
I'm happy to name those 2 large dealers if you wish.   Plus there is one local dealer in Worcester who is aware of the issue because I demonstrated it to him on 2 keyboards they had in their showroom,  so to say no UK dealers are aware is not true.

Also the original poster who started this thread is in the UK and had 2 boards changed for this issue, as did I,  just because you don't have the issue as I stated previously to you Eileen, does not mean it does not exist.      I personally have no friends or connections at Yamaha whatsoever,  therefore my opinion on this subject of some faulty buttons on 770 and 970 models is totally unbiased.   I  have no personal loyalties to Yamaha other than I have liked their instruments for years, same equally applies to Casio and Korg.

My own 970 like Joe.H's 970 is currently not doing it quite so often at present,  does that mean all of a sudden the problem has disappeared entirely for everyone else that have the issue ?   of course not.   At the moment I can live with it, in fact I suspect this will remain a minor flaw on this 970 keyboard until such time I get rid of it, but it's not impacting my use or enjoyment of my 970 very much at the moment so like Joe it's something I'm tolerating and hoping that Yamaha at some point will acknowledge and put right in due course....fingers xxx.  A view shared by others with the issue I suspect.  In conclusion I like my 970, but it's not 100% perfect it does have the odd A-E/F/J button issue where it exits back to the main menu, albeit currently not so frequently as it once did thanks to constructive help from other users like Joe.H who have experienced the issue themselves, and have shared information, so a big thanks to all those members who have shared information in this thread.

Best wishes.... Cameron

Thank-you for your summary. Some eloquent contributions to this thread of late.

;D   I recommend wearing a crash helmet when banging your head against this brick wall of an issue:  I mean that some folk here will NEVER admit that Yamaha is other than practically perfect in every way:) 

Might even nominate them for a minor part in a remake of the Truman Show movie (1998)  :)

Hoped this button blight problem would have been sorted by now.   

There are other Arranger brands to choose from, of course, for the near-equivalent price of a PSR-S770:  Roland, Korg, and now Casio.  But would prefer to stay with the Yamaha after getting comfortable with this way of working.

So Yamaha, get it sorted.

cheers to all
    Jack

Offline Joe H

It is a bit frustrating to have to endure this button issue for some folks here who maybe did not get any relief from a re-install of the firmware or a System Reset (or maybe they never bothered to try those things... I don't know)

But calling Yamaha Dealers and Service technicians 'liars" is a bit over the top and serves no constructive purpose. The truth is they don't know anything because Yamaha hasn't issued a service bulletin. 

I have been told twice now and reassured twice now that Yamaha engineers in Japan are aware of the problem and looking at it.  I was also told these things take time to get it right.

Think about it... what would YOU do  if you have built thousands of keyboards and some (maybe just a few) had a problem? How would you go about it? You would have to find out how many, where they were made, who supplied the switches or circuit boards, not to mention why does reinstalling the firmware help, or doing a System reset help?  And maybe this doesn't work for everyone (does anyone know the answer to that?)

They can't just "wing their way through this situation".  They have to find some real answers... then they can act.

Just my 2 cents worth.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Roger Brenizer

Hi Joe,

I wholeheartedly agree with you in your assessment of this situation.

But calling Yamaha Dealers and Service technicians 'liars" is a bit over the top and serves no constructive purpose. The truth is they don't know anything because Yamaha hasn't issued a service bulletin.

Everyone knows that I don't own this keyboard, but I have been following this thread with great interest.  Calling someone a "liar" is never a good thing.  Stating it verbally is one thing, but putting it in writing is certainly not well thought out from a legal standpoint.  I would suggest that everyone follows Joe's lead and just wait for Yamaha to respond to this situation in due time.  And by all means, please tone the language down and just state your issue without making accusations that you can't prove.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

textbook

I've decided to treat this automatic exiting to the main screen even when pressed just once as a special Yamaha bonus feature,  my own 970 is working well and have accepted this issue will likely remain on it until I dispose of it.   I assume Joe and Roger's comments are likely referring to the post made by szwarc.  If it was something in my own post, then I apologise.
Nonetheless,  I've decided in the interest of maintaining good harmony on this excellent forum this is my LAST post in this thread.  :'(
I hope you guys with this Yamaha button issue/feature get it sorted eventually..   :)

I take this opportunity to wish everyone on the forum all the very best wishes.  :)
As Joe recently stated himself,  it's time for me also to get back to playing more.  8)  I don't have enough hours in the day as it is, hence why I'm still working at 4.45am, and indeed it's not uncommon for me to have the odd all night sessions ;) Maybe the wife's right I must be crazy...lol.  The 970 is still a excellent keyboard even with this little issue, but hopefully at some point in the future I look forward to reading that Yamaha have come up with some sort of a fix,  fingers xxx anyway.

Eileen:
My apologies for the mis-understanding, as you did indeed state you had spoken to a couple of dealers only.   It's obvious that many dealers, and likely some other owners too I suspect are not aware of the issue, as it's so obscure, and varies a lot even between afflicted boards.  AIS previously, if I press on the high point of the button my 970 is perfect, yet that doesn't seem to make much difference on my neighbours 770... which suffers very badly with this button issue...very strange.

Best wishes.... Cameron
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:46:58 AM by textbook »

Offline Joe H

Cameron,

Yes.. I was referring to szwarc's comment.

You my friend... are an asset to this Forum and a positive contributor to this tread.  So don't go too far away. 

;)

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Roger Brenizer

Hi Cameron,

Yes, I too was referring to Szwarc's comment in my post.  You and I have been friends for too long to have issues with one another.

I definitely share in Joe's opinion of you and your contributions here.  Please don't wander far, as your well thought out input is sorely needed in this continuing saga, as well in many other areas of this wonderful forum.

Have a great day, Cameron, and please say hi to Ann for me.  Just say; The crazy guy from across the pond said hello to you.  I'm positive she will know who you mean.  LOL!!!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

szwarc

My service in Poland (M. Ostrowski SP. J. al. Armii Krajowej 5, 50-541 Wrocław tel. +48 71 79 74 605 email: serwis@muzyczny.pl) says that the button problem doesent exist, that is a feature not a defect. I send them detailed description and recorded film, I showed them this subject on the forum.

They sey that everything is all right.

They destroyed my instrument, they scratched the casing.

Now i must wait for a 7 weeks that they will replace the casing.

The instrument (button problem) won't be fixed.

I bought the new instrument, if has a defect (button problem), should be repaired or they should replace the instrument. A guarantee consists in it.

If Yamaha is selling defected instruments - now Yamaha should be pay for it.
What concerns me it, that now they have a problem ?!

I want to have a truly efficient instrument for which I paid.

Meanwhile service in Poland is not caring about the customer. They are saying, around these are a feature rather than a defect.

So i say that they are liers !

Never again I will buy Yamaha. And my PSR-S970 I will sell right away as soon as comes back from the service.

For everyone in POLAND I will tell , that they never to buy instruments of the company Yamaha because this company isn't caring for its customers.

billmc

Joe, I spoke with a Yamaha support representative about my own S770, especially the rhythm problem. It seemed to do it at random and I couldn't ever find a particular chord transition that made the beat stop every time. Intermittents are always frustrating! But I did do a soft reset on the instrument (holding down top key while turning on) and the rhythm was fine after that (during 6 hours of play). The representative seemed to think that the MIDI Map (whatever that is, ha ha) was not set correctly in my S770 and that, therefore, it occasionally wasn't sure what to do with the chords I was pressing. Resetting the instrument, obviously, reset it back to factory conditions and this, perhaps, solved the problem. But I don't know for sure because it was an intermittent.

The representative didn't know any more about the button issue than what you have already shared. I know you are, for all intents and purposes, an expert on these keyboards, but I just don't see how reinstalling the firmware (which is a series of 0's and 1's) multiple times could fix this problem. I would sooner suspect that continuous operating of these buttons causes them to "contact" or "seat" better. But that is just my opinion.

In the end, I decided to return the keyboard, mainly because I have no idea if or how long it will take for Yamaha to address the button issue. Others may live with it. That is each person's choice. But I didn't want a $1300 instrument with a problem that the manufacturer knows about but has no resolution for. Yes, I realize this may take time. But I also am aware that EVERY manufacturer wants to build their products as inexpensively as they can to have the most profit that they can. My S770 was Made in China. Remember when they came from Japan? :)

szwarc

Anybody have a contact (e-mail) to President and Representative Director or main world Yamaha contact.
I would like to send him my own message and tell him about - how service in Poland works.

Offline Joe H

biilmc,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

You wrote: "I would sooner suspect that continuous operating of these buttons causes them to "contact" or "seat" better"

In my case, after doing a System Reset the improvement was instantaneous, as was with my brother who also bought an S970 and whos keyboard serial number is one value higher than mine (his came off the assembly line right behind mine).

As I have already stated (at least a couple of times) I'm inclined to think there is a problem with the firmware installer program or a bug in the OS installer.  If these software actions (reset and firmware install) are having a positive affect on the button operation then I believe there is a software fix.

BTW... there is NO more (physical) play in the [A] - [J] buttons than any other buttons on the Panel.  At least 3 people have now posted suggesting the problem can be corrected with timing code.  I suspect they are right.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:18:35 PM by Joe H »

oldfarm42

Anybody have a contact (e-mail) to President and Representative Director or main world Yamaha contact.
I would like to send him my own message and tell him about - how service in Poland works.
You can contact him here: http://emailtheboss.org/executives/takuya-nakata-president-and-representative-director-yamaha-corporation/

Happy Jack

You can contact him here: http://emailtheboss.org/executives/takuya-nakata-president-and-representative-director-yamaha-corporation/

Thank-you, oldfarm42, for your informative post and for lending a hand to a fellow member.

My approach is likewise:   Better to aim high and let the goodness trickle down, eh.  8)

cheers, Jack

Happy Jack

Hey all happy Yammy Lovers,

Are you staying up late / rising early to view the Comet?

No, not the Comet Hale–Bopp;  that won't be back in our solar system until around year 4385.

But stick around here on PSRTUTORIAL and be sure to mark this astronomical event.

See bad button Comet:
Yamma-Badda-Button-Bopp streak past 10, 000 hits!

and still going ... 

and going...

and going...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:11:48 PM by Happy Jack »

szwarc

Maybe Yamaha will be working for 2 years on with problem of buttons, for as far as customers guarantees will end - hahahahaha

textbook

The firmware update v1.05 released today  does appear to help with this button issue,  at least that's what my initial tests would suggest on 2 keyboards I've installed it on,  my own 970 and a friends 770.

However, it has not cured my neighbours 770 completely,  but where previously we were lucky to press those buttons 3 or 4 times on his 770 before it exited,  we found after updating the firmware it was possible to press them 30 or more times before it did it,   so a good improvement as his 770 suffered really badly with this A-E/F-J button issue.

Tests I've done on my own 970 would suggest it's pretty much been eradicated,  :) in fact during lots of button bashing I've given it since installing today's new 1.05 update it only exited once, and that was when pressing the low part of the button and TBH I can live with that.  If I press it normally it seems fine, it never exits,   it certainly seems better than it was previously.  :)

Cameron
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:26:14 PM by textbook »

tbeltrans

The firmware update v1.05 released today  does appear to help with this button issue,  at least that's what my initial tests would suggest on 2 keyboards I've installed it on,  my own 970 and a friends 770.

However, it has not cured my neighbours 770 completely,  but where previously we were lucky to press those buttons 3 or 4 times on his 770 before it exited,  we found after updating the firmware it was possible to press them 30 or more times before it did it,   so a good improvement as his 770 suffered really badly with this A-E/F-J button issue.

Tests I've done on my own 970 would suggest it's pretty much been eradicated,  :) in fact during lots of button bashing I've given it since installing today's new 1.05 update it only exited once, and that was when pressing the low part of the button and TBH I can live with that.  If I press it normally it seems fine, it never exits,   it certainly seems better than it was previously.  :)

Cameron

That is good to hear (read).  I provided a description of this type of problem, based on my years in engineering and dealing with button press detection issues.  It may well be that Yamaha has done what they can without actually replacing the buttons with better quality.  If those who have been seeing this problem can live with that, then maybe they can now enjoy their keyboards.  Maybe others will weigh in as they do the upgrade.  It sounds promising. :)

Tony

Offline Joe H

Cameron,

Question: On the S770 that suffered serious buttons problems, did you by any chance try the System Reset thing by holding down the right-most white key while powering on the keyboard?  This helped with my board before the v1.05 update. 

Like you, it appears the update fixed my button problem completely.  I'm going to test a couple more times before I give my official feedback to Steve Deming at Yamaha.   In his email to me today he states he sees a noticeable improvement with his own testing, and asked for my feedback. 

8)

Joe H

textbook

Yes I did try resetting using the rightmost key Joe,  in fact I tried this on his 770 a couple weeks ago just to see if it might help, but sadly made little difference to his.  His 770 is actually much worse than the 1st one I returned and had changed,  he's not overly concerned at all however.   The fact this firmware version seems to have noticeably improved it is at least something,  but in view of how frequent his 770 exited previously leads me to think that perhaps his may likely  have a hardware issue,  but like I said,  he's not bothered at all, at least it's a lot better than it was.

As for my own,  it's early days but it seems to be working perfectly.   The thing is, I could actually see more of a improvement on his 770 than I could on my own 970, simply because his was so bad in the first place,  while my own was very minor with just the odd exit back out which had almost remedied itself anyway by doing the firmware install and resetting it.

Best wishes...Cameron
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:49:26 AM by textbook »

Offline Joe H

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like you and I have had just about identical experiences with our own S970s.

I notice the firmware update for the Tyros 5 also made mention of the button issue.  That's a curious bit of info!

Cheers,
Joe H

Happy Jack

Cameron,

Question: On the S770 that suffered serious buttons problems, did you by any chance try the System Reset thing by holding down the right-most white key while powering on the keyboard?  This helped with my board before the v1.05 update. 

Like you, it appears the update fixed my button problem completely.  I'm going to test a couple more times before I give my official feedback to Steve Deming at Yamaha.   In his email to me today he states he sees a noticeable improvement with his own testing, and asked for my feedback. 

8)

Joe H

Hi there,

So Joe,  this recent software upgrade, whilst affording some improvement on a couple of affected keyboards, is not yet a cure-all?   Still, am glad to hear that your own keyboard is now clear of the button blight. 

Beware the previous 'false dawn' episode, when it was suggested (perhaps you yourself suggested it) to close this topic down, nothing more to be gained... etc?   

Anyone here rushing for closure?  I hope not, because the Fat lady is yet to sing.   

Need lots of keyboard owners to do the upgrade and perform  'button test' thing, so too early to generalise.

Joe, with respect, but what do you mean by this:   

"before I give my official feedback to Steve Deming at Yamaha."

I know of your tireless efforts to share information regards this bad button issue, but on whose behalf are you officiating;D

best regards
    Jack
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:45:12 AM by Happy Jack »

Offline Joe H

Not to worry Jack,

(thanks for the question)

My official feedback to Steve will be regarding my own experience I can't speak for others and will emphasize that point.  I will obviously relate the fact that a reasonable time is needed for reports back to Yamaha and also that not everyone is realizing a fix. That's why I asked Cameron about the S770. It appears that at least some of the S770s are not positively affected in an equal manner by the v1.05 update.

As I have stated above (somewhere) this is a bit baffling, but I suspect Cameron is correct (as others are) it's a hardware problem being mitigated by a firmware fix, and as he stated above, some boards have a greater (button) problem than others.

Anyone here who has had direct contact with Yamaha should report their experience to Yamaha Support.  They need feedback from as many people as possible.

Cheers,
Joe H
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:45:55 AM by Joe H »

textbook

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like you and I have had just about identical experiences with our own S970s.

I notice the firmware update for the Tyros 5 also made mention of the button issue.  That's a curious bit of info!

Cheers,
Joe H

I think we can all agree it's a little early to really tell whether any improvements noticed are indeed the effect of this firmware or just wishful thinking on our part as that's what we want to believe.  IOW the old placebo effect...lol  As it may simply be the act of re-installing the firmware that's giving a positive spin to it.   Re. The T5  I noticed that too Joe...so yes very strange, they also had the wrong date for those T5 firmwares, as they put 16/5/2016. instead of March.
Having a suspicious nature,  on downloading the update I even checked to ensure it was not a re-packaged 1.04.. ;) but the difference in file size and checksums on each file does suggest something's changed. 

In conclusion, after adding a couple more registration banks this morning to give it a final test,  it did not exit once, and my friend Alans 770 which I knew would be the real test has seen significant improvement.

So, if the improvement I've seen is not down to this firmware, (which for the more sceptical is certainly possible).... then I look forward to receiving more placebo firmwares...lol.....keep em coming.  :)

Best wishes...Cameron
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:45:30 PM by textbook »

Offline Joe H

Cameron,

"Oh ye of little faith"  LOL.  It's not your imagination.  I'm waiting to hear from my brother who has an S970 and who has had the same degree of erratic button behavior as you and I have had. 

What "appears" to be the case is that the v1.05 update has a positive affect. For those with a minor button problem it pretty much goes away, and for those with a severe button problem... they are seeing the button problem reduced.

It's still a mystery to me. I'll give it a couple more days of testing before I get back to Steve Deming. But I can only share with him my own experience and what I'm reading here from others.  If people like your friend don't report their findings, Yamaha can't do anything.  Taking a keyboard back to the dealer and getting a refund doesn't help either.  Yamaha needs feedback.   Since you are a programmer and I am a beta tester, we understand these things.

For those who choose to bash Yamaha... they will never get positive results.  Good software / firmware is never developed and tested via human emotions... it's strictly a "logical" process.      :D   ;D

Stay tuned!

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:21:12 PM by Joe H »

Chronos1976

Retest after v1.05 update
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
Hi everyone!

I hope all is well in PSRTutorial land. I've been away for a while so here's my 6 pennies worth:

1. Don't forget you can run the tests as per my opening post to the thread. The videos should still be up. By running the same test on different firmware versions you will confirm if 1.05 has solved the issue for you because the screen won't exit. It doesn't matter that it is the voice screen in I use in my tests, it is just an easy way to see the fault occurring. The fault will affect all screens.

2. There appears to be two issues here:
i.) Functioning keyboards that have a larger than should be tolerance in their button movement. This means Eileen can get a perfectly functioning keyboard because the tolerance of movement in her keyboard is minimal, but Yamaha also accept a wider tolerance in the button movement that allows the double press fault due to button roll on the contact.

ii.) There are keyboards that have faulty logic boards that cause the same issue.

Keyboards fixed by the 1.05 firmware update could safely be in category i.) while the remaining keyboards would be good candidates for category ii.) which need Yamaha servicing. Any else follow my thinking here?

3. If v1.05 is supposed to fix this issue, then I think Yamaha need more detail at this point on the frequency of the double clicks if they still occur. Count the number of key presses before a fail (e.g, 1 in 30, 1 in 40 etc) for ten tests and also the button that failed. My second keyboard had a faulty circuit board where only the [H] and [J] keys were affected. Please feedback this back to Yamaha.

4. v1.05 appears to have fixed my keyboard. At least, I gave up after 200 key presses.

Kind regards,

Paul.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:26:52 PM by Chronos1976 »

Offline jwyvern

Cheers,
Joe H

The Ty5 firmware update mentions buttons, but not "the" button issue as per this thread :o

Here's a copy:
 "Fixed a problem in which updating of the display and button response would slow down when many Expansion Voices were installed in the instrument."

John

Offline Joe H

Hey John,

Here is ther Release Notes for the PSR firmare update:

"[V1.04 to V1.05]
- Fixed a problem in which updating of the display and button response would slow down when many Expansion Voices were installed in the instrument".

Joe H

Offline Joe H

Chronos1976 wrote:

"My second keyboard had a faulty circuit board where only the [H] and [J] keys were affected. Please feedback this back to Yamaha".

How do you know this and what is the part # for the board that was replaced?  If you want us to "report" how about you doing the same here so we have more knowledge to offer Yamaha.

Regards,
Joe H

Chronos1976

Chronos1976 wrote:

"My second keyboard had a faulty circuit board where only the [H] and [J] keys were affected. Please feedback this back to Yamaha".

How do you know this and what is the part # for the board that was replaced?  If you want us to "report" how about you doing the same here so we have more knowledge to offer Yamaha.

Regards,
Joe H

Hi Joe,

Yamaha Service Department UK told me the circuit board for the buttons was faulty in the lower right side of the display. However, as the keyboard was new the entire machine was replaced and so there was no mention of part numbers, batch numbers or any other information that I would have already shared. I'm just as keen to get this issue resolved as you but feel the tone of your comment is unhelpful.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Offline jwyvern

Hey John,

Here is ther Release Notes for the PSR firmare update:

"[V1.04 to V1.05]
- Fixed a problem in which updating of the display and button response would slow down when many Expansion Voices were installed in the instrument".

Joe H

Hi Joe,
OK, similar to wording used in the Ty5 description. There seems to be a possible issue related to  expansion voices affecting both keyboards which they have now addressed. I can see why it caught your attention. :)

John 

Offline Joe H

John,

It's not just similar wording... it's identical wording.  My comment was that I find it curious.

Joe H

textbook

Which of course is why I quickly asked Robert from Yamaha if he could clarify what buttons he was referring in the discription in his first post when he announced the update.

And I quote his reply.
---------------------------------
Thanks Textbook,

Yes, I meant primarily the A-E/F-J buttons. And we hope to see and hear reported improvements concerning unintended exits to the main screen, when using them.

Best regards,
Robert R
Yamaha U.S.A.

----------------------------------------------

As you can see Robert clearly states in the quote above and in the link below it was the the A-E/F-J button issue they were referring.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,33508.msg250372.html#msg250372

I have no reason whatsoever to doubt Roberts integrity as his statement is there for all to see, and indeed I for one appreciate and thank him for clarifying that 1.05 does have firmware changes to help alleviate the A-E/F-J button issue and the fact that improvements are being seen after installing 1.05 supports his comments. 
I agree however they could initially have been much more specific, and also the fact the T5 update has the same original description too does make one wonder, or as Joe stated curious.   

Cameron
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:21:37 AM by textbook »

szwarc

I am still waiting form my PSR-s970.
When he come back to me i will check firmware 1.05.

textbook

I am still waiting form my PSR-s970.
When he come back to me i will check firmware 1.05.

I hope it turns out to be a good one when you do get it,  after the issues you have had..   fingers xxx...hopefully it won't be much longer, and you can get back to playing it again.  :)

Cameron
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:32:53 AM by textbook »

Rrgramps

Hoping the firmware fixed the erratic buttons
« Reply #285 on: April 07, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »
Szwarc, hope your new PSR-970 is working properly; sure would like to know.

March 21 was the last post, and no one has been back since to complain.  It looks like the firmware update took hold.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:46:53 PM by Rrgramps »

Offline Joe H

TrentN,

I posted elsewhere, but I should have posted here too.  The v1.05 firmware up date fixed my S970 button problem and also brother's S970 button problem too.

8)

Joe H

Offline Tanas

Yes, it is the truth. The problem with buttons has left with new firmware updating 1.05 Probably there was a program mistake.

szwarc

I am still waiting for may psr-s970

Offline JohnH

I purchased my 970 in Sept----week ago did the latest update--1.05---everything works perfect !!!  THANKS to all you guys that brought out the problem---- THANKS YAMAHA !! for the fix------JohnH

textbook

I am still waiting for may psr-s970

Sorry to hear,  you still have not received your S970 back yet,   it does seem to be taking an awful long time.
It might be worth posting a message to Robert, at Yamaha Support in this thread,  maybe he can find out why it's taking so long.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,33778.msg252427.html#msg25242

Cameron

Offline Joe H

I am still waiting form my PSR-s970.  When he come back to me i will check firmware 1.05.

Yes I agree it has taken way too long.  You have had a bad experience.   :'(     Maybe Yamaha should give you a new keyboard and keep that one you returned.

Joe H

szwarc

I think that Yamaha (in Poland) have his customers in *** :o)
I send mail to shop, service, central yamaha Poland, yamaha music Europe, president Yamaha and they done nothing.
Service says that they are waiting for new case for my instrument, maybe they will do my instrument in next week (MAYBE).
I am still waiting (from 10.02.2016) - 2 months

When my instrument comes back i will sell it imediatelly and i will by KORG PA3X.

I dont wont YAMAHA never again.

DonM

I think that Yamaha (in Poland) have his customers in *** :o)
I send mail to shop, service, central yamaha Poland, yamaha music Europe, president Yamaha and they done nothing.
Service says that they are waiting for new case for my instrument, maybe they will do my instrument in next week (MAYBE).
I am still waiting (from 10.02.2016) - 2 months

When my instrument comes back i will sell it imediatelly and i will by KORG PA3X.

I dont wont YAMAHA never again.

The joystick on my PA3X broke shortly after I bought it.  Korg took care of it, but it took two months to get the part!!  So it's not just a Yamaha thing.  Thanks to the touch strip, I was able to use the 3x until the part came in.
LOVE my PA4X though.   :)

Overall I would save that Korg customer support is better than Yamaha.  They monitor the forum and react quickly to valid compaints and even suggestions.  However Yamaha SERVICE is far quicker and easier to access.  Of course I'm speaking of the United States.  Can't speak for other countries or areas.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:06:46 PM by DonM »

szwarc

In Poland it is not too good.
I think that the instruments now are very week.
Everything through the race behind the new technology.
Companies are taking part in a race and are selling new not checked instruments with defects.
The customer isn't taking into account.
I had a PSR-9000 - this instrument was very good and strong.
I'm really sorry, that I sold it and I bought PSR-S 970.
PSR-9000 had far more better loudspeakers, strong casing, comfortable arranging buttons.
Psr-s 970 very much disappointed me and company so Yamaha failed therefore never again I will buy the instrument from the stable yamaha.

Offline EileenL

The 9000 was the flagship in its day and was good but very very heavy. The 970 has more up to date technology  and is much lighter. I find sound wise it is very good.

Offline Joe H

szwarc,

I suspect that when you get your S970 back everything will be good.  Yes you have had a bad experience, but I think once you see everything is working correctly, you may find you like the keyboard after all.   It's really a very nice instrument!

Cheers,
Joe H

szwarc

I dont think so.
Yes PSR 9000 was very heavy but this instrument had a very strong loudspeakers.
Loudspeakers in PSR-S970 - they are probably taken out of the toy for children.
It was in order to better if they weren't at all.

Yes i heve very bad experience.

How I will only get the instrument at once I am putting him up for sale.

Happy Jack

I dont think so.
Yes PSR 9000 was very heavy but this instrument had a very strong loudspeakers.
Loudspeakers in PSR-S970 - they are probably taken out of the toy for children.
It was in order to better if they weren't at all.

Yes i heve very bad experience.

How I will only get the instrument at once I am putting him up for sale.

Hi there, szwarc

Yes, the PSR-9000 has got a 56-watt amplifier with built-in speakers enclosed in  wood / particle board cabinets.   What other arranger keyboard could compete with that BIG PSR-9000 sound!   And silly me, for selling my fully-upgraded PSR-9000.  :(

To Big Betty (my departed PRS-9000), wherever you are, I hope your new owners are treating you kindly and using the dust cover.  Hope they appreciate your floppy disk emulator, your fully upgraded RAM, your fresh internal batteries, your hard disk.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

szwarc, if loudness of integral speakers is now paramount to you,  perhaps you might check out the new Casio arranger keyboard - 40 watts output?   (see the Musikmesse exhibition 2016). 

When your repaired PSR-S970 keyboard is returned to you, would you mind please checking to see if the A-J buttons are now fully working as they should? If so, perhaps you might give it another chance.  Otherwise, good luck with whatever path you choose. 

best regards,
  Jack 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:23:14 AM by Happy Jack »

szwarc

In PSR-9000 I had a compact flash card reader installed not hard disk. The floppy disk drive worked perfectly but I replaced it with the USB reader. everything acted perfectly.
RAM Was full.
I bought PSR-S 970 because I thought that Yamaha had such instruments qualitatively super as PSR-9000 - unfortunately very much I made a mistake.

Casio is instruments for children.

How I will only get PSR-S 970 I will inspect buttons A-J and I will write on the forum.