Author Topic: Secondhand keyboard issues.  (Read 1877 times)

Offline bigmandiddyvan

Secondhand keyboard issues.
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
Hello all, I am new here but hope someone can help. I bought a used (as new) Tyros 4 privately, it was sold with the exspansion module installed plus various premium packs and a memory stick with a lot of styles on it. When I bought the keyboard I did not realise that none of the above mentioned sounds would not work without the original key code, which I don't have. I can not contact the seller for the information. I have contacted Yamaha and they have asked me to do exactly that? So I have a keyboard with a few hundred pounds of extras on it that I can not use.The files are all there but will not open. I have read similar posts but of no help to me. I really don't want to be buying replacement premium packs as I feel the amount of money I paid for the keyboard including the extras was enough. I hope someone here can shed some light. Many Thanks. Brian.

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: Secondhand keyboard issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
Brian,

If those extras were purchased from Yamaha, they should already be registered to that keyboard.

If the previous owner received those from some one else then they are just good enough for you to discard and be thankful your keyboard can work fine without them.

Hope you got a good deal on the keyboard.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline psrguy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »
bigmandiddyvan,,

What a nightmare.  Very sorry to hear of your frustrations after spending good monies to purchase a keyboard from someone who scammed you or forgot to tell you the keycodes.

I am in the market for a  used keyboard to save some money because new keyboards prices are just outrageous.   There have been some tempting offers on line and in the newspapers .  Now that I know that special key codes are required i will more than cautious about my intended purchase.

It still makes no sense to me that Yamaha would not provide you with the key codes.  However i do realize that this is day and age were corporate common sense no longer exists.

Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings

http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
Hi Brian,

I suspect that Yamaha have already made you aware of the following, but for information...

Yamaha Premium Packs for the Tyros4 are sold already protected so that they can only be used with the specific keyboard that they were purchased for.  This system was introduced to prevent illegal copying and sharing of packs, and may seem a somewhat draconian method but it is effective.

If the Premium Packs that you have acquired were purchased from Yamaha Musicsoft for your keyboard by the previous owner and the License Key is installed, then they should continue to work even if the original owner closes his account with Yamaha Musicsoft or removes that specific Tyros4 from his account.  So if the packs are already loaded on your keyboard and the License Key is installed, then they should continue to work -  the keyboard doesn't know that it's now owned by someone else! 

If the packs are not currently loaded but you have a copy of them on the USB, and these are the original unzipped downloads, then they should contain the wavepack file (called something like 'VoicePackxx_!WAVE!.CV0') and voices, and should install on your keyboard if they were originally purchased for it and License Key has not been deleted from the  keyboard.

You can check to see if the keyboard License Key is installed by pressing...  FUNCTION > UTILITY > Tab to OWNER.   Option 2 shows the licence status.  If it says REGISTERED, then the keyboard is currently licensed, presumably for the packs purchased by the previous owner.  If it says UNREGISTERED then you will not be able to load packs even if they were purchased for that keyboard.  I have not tried deleting the License Key after packs have been loaded, so I don't know if any ones already loaded will continue to work!  However on page 38 of the Owner's Manual Yamaha says that they won't!

If it is shown as UNREGISTERED then you should check the USB on a computer to see if it contains the License Key file.  The file will be called 'license_id.n25' and if necessary can be imported into the keyboard as explained on page 38 of the Owner's Manual.

If the packs were originally sold for a different Tyros4, then they will not work on your keyboard, and I can't see Yamaha offering a free download of versions for that keyboard, even if you open an account with Yamaha Musicsoft and upload the instrument details.

Any individual styles on your USB should work fine whether the license key is registered or not, even if they are ones purchased from Yamaha Musicsoft.

Some Yamaha Premium Packs contain styles as well as new voices.  You should check the internal hard disk for a folder called 'Premium Pack' or similar since recent Premium Packs install any styles that they contain in this folder when the pack is first installed.  Failing this check any packs on the USB. 

Styles from the USB can be loaded and played directly from the USB or copied and pasted to the internal HDD.  However if they are from a Premium Pack, they are likely to use at least some of the new voices in the pack that they are from for either style parts or Left and Right main voices in the style's OTS, and if these voices are not installed then you may need to select a different voice for that part.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:43:34 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline bigmandiddyvan

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 01:46:36 AM »
Thank you all so much for your help, I will look into some of the suggestions made, what a great forum this is, with so much knowledge, so glad I joined. Regards Brian.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:51:48 AM »
Are you sure these packs are not already loaded into the expansion memory. Have you tried pressing the expansion button on the keyboard. If they are there they will work ok as long as you don't take them off. If you do you will not be able to reload them. The licence key contains many details including the member that purchased them and there details. You should not have been charged extra for these packs with the sale of the keyboard.