Author Topic: My S900 screen is dead :(  (Read 4024 times)

Offline aprilla

My S900 screen is dead :(
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:39:34 AM »
I left the S900 to have dinner, when I returned the screen was black.
I've been through the very many posts on here and tried any of the suggestions I've met. Again so thankful for this site, but no joy ..... feeling quite woe is me.

Yamaha left Ireland some years back - but is there anyone in Ireland that sorts this out, fixes this?
I'm waiting on a reply from Yamaha UK but while I wait I have arranged to borrow a 7" screen (am not good at this sort of thing) to help decide what I need to get for myself, in case. Any recommendations very welcome.

:'(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:08:04 AM by aprilla »
S900

Offline C-clef

Re: My S900 screen is dead :(
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »
So sorry to hear that Aprilla.

I hope it's okay to post a link to another forum here, if not, I dare say a moderator will delete it.

There's a forum called Yamaha Forums UK (http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/index.php) where the people are very technically capable with programming and electronics and such like. Many repair their own keyboards.
The interest is mostly synthesisers and guitars etc. but there are also quite quiet sections on PSR's etc.

The key thing is that several people have direct contact with Yamaha and get asked to product launches and to discussions about product directions etc. Synths and so on, not Tyros or PSRs.
They are almost certain to know where to contact (the official route at least) to sort out your problem.
At least it's worth a try.

Scroll down that forum a fair way and you'll find the PSR-S700/900 section. Try asking there.

Hope I haven't broken any rules by posting this. If so I apologise in advance.

I hope you have some luck there.
Regards,
Colin.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:23:58 AM by C-clef »

Offline frankia

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
Hi Aprilla.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

It is not a cheap fix but a simple one to replace the screen - There is a screen on Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Screen-Display-Panel-For-Yamaha-PSR-S900-PSRS900-PSR3000-/221832494290?hash=item33a63f3cd2:g:qOMAAOSwDNdVra-r At 96 it isn't cheap!

If you are not handy with a screw driver any competent DIY'er should be able to change it for you.

Cheers

Offline aprilla

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 06:31:19 AM »
Thanks for replys :)

Colin, that site is down for maintenance. I'll try again, I wonder if I was already a member? Not many yamaha sites I've missed!

I've heard back from Yamaha (UK) and, while very nice, Roslyn has told me there's nothing they can do... that it must be repaired at my own expense. She gave me a number for a service person in Dublin (400 miles) and suggested I speak with him. If Yamaha can't help further than this I can't see why a service person would! Anyway I'll phone and see what the costs are.

I know it's an older model but that doesn't make it less than a great machine still. It shouldn't be that I'm sorry my S900 screen didn't fail me sooner, but I am feeling that way.

Thanks for that link frankia, it could be a solution. I am happy to do computer repair, but never opened a keyboard. When I hear what service in Dublin has to say I just might try this option.
S900

Offline Rumocool

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:37:15 AM »
Hello Aprilla,

sorry to hear that your screen is broken, I thank that the link that Frankia posted is a very good solution

keep us updated please, maybe with some photo's

Success,

Rudolf

Offline aprilla

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:54:08 AM »
Thanks Rudolf, I will.
The screen on eBay states clearly that there are no installation instructions, and I haven't yet connected a feedback with a S900 screen bought. Slight concern that it too would fail. Anyway I've added it to my Watch List while I look  around to see how that might be installed etc. The item itself looks like it might not be too difficult to fit. In the meantime I'll take a look inside my S900 to see if it gets clearer what must be done. I can't break mine anyway when I'm looking  :o

I've ordered from Hong Kong before, I've never been disappointed but it does take a long time to arrive, minimum 6 weeks. So it might be a while before I'll have any info.

Left a msg on the recommended service persons machine, we'll see what happens there first...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:06:41 AM by aprilla »
S900

Offline C-clef

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:26:15 AM »
Hi Aprilla,

Sorry to hear the site was down when you tried it. It's there most of the time.
Rather than order one from abroad yet, I'd try Yamaha UK support.

The details you need are as follows:
Technical Support is available by telephone on 0844 811 1116 from the UK or 01526 2449 from the Republic of Ireland - Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (4.30pm on Friday).
Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK)
Sherbourne Drive
Tilbrook
Milton Keynes
MK7 8BL
Tel: 0844 811 1116 (UK) / 01526 2449 (Republic of Ireland)
Fax: 01908 368872

From the other site.

I looked up the geographical number for the 0844 one and got "01908 366700".

You might try seeing what the tech support dept. there can do first.

Regards,
Colin.

Correction, Yamaha support say they no longer hold spares for the S900.
try Sontec Electronics on 01603 489421.  They're based in Norwich, UK.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:39:35 AM by C-clef »

Offline aprilla

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 03:39:12 AM »
Thanks Colin :) I had already been in touch with Yamaha UK.
Anyway, they cannot/will not help me further than giving me the phone numbers for a serviceman in Dublin. I spoke with him since, nice guy... it would cost 500 to replace the screen, plus service and delivery charges. I didn't even ask what the service and delivery would be as I couldn't pay 500 for the replacement screen.

I will see what Sontec Electronics say about a screen but if it's I have decided I'm not going to fret over it, or frustrate myself. I don't want to be looking at my S900 always thinking that's a fight I lost.

I've got an external screen and will investigate the internal replacement frankia suggested. The Internet has been down so haven't had a chance to read about that yet. I'll do a search here, and visit your site link, bit of research... see if it's something I can do myself.
S900

Online Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:41 AM »
A quick searc in Google gave this site among others.
Maybe for some help about "how to"?

https://jhlui1.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/replace-a-yamaha-psr-s900-keyboard-lcd-display/

And another about replace just "black light"
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.636447233050382.1073741843.520671677961272&type=3
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:53:43 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers & Happy Playing.  :)
GJ

Offline Flip

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:28:23 AM »
I am very sorry to hear about your problem.  It happened to me and my S900 several years ago.  Back then Yamaha recognized they had a screen problem with 900 and replaced it for free even though it was out of warranty.  A few other members of this forum had the same problem.  It looks like you are "stuck" with no good option.  It looks like the prices you are quoting come close to what you would spend for a 910 in VG condition.  You might find one here.

Somehow I remember somebody with this problem connected the Video out to TV screen or PC Monitor and it worked.  But, I am not sure if my memory is accurate.  Once the screen was fixed it was better than new.....I sold it to a guy and several years later it's still working perfectly.  Good Luck  Flip

Offline Flip

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 05:34:28 AM »
I see a 900 for sale in the UK for around L 350.  If the screen has been replaced it could be of interest to you.  Flip

Offline panda

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »
Use an external monitor. Thats the cheapest and best solution.
Less is More!.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Hi Aprilla,

please read my post "PSR-S900 Display repair with US $ 24.00"

Good luck

Offline Ed B

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
Aprilla
This is the link that TRraxx is referring to.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,26711.msg193880.html#msg193880

Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline biuro74

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 02:32:24 AM »
I repair such PSR s900s ;-)
But I'm located in UK. Your damage looks like CCFL lamp ended its life, which is quite popular issue in PSR S900s.

You've got two ways:
1) if you are somehow "techie" and can do soldering and proper de-composing your keyboard (and assembling it back), you can do this yourself. Buy 100mmx2.2mm (100x2 might be as well) CCFL lamp, download SERVICE MANUAL (not user's manual) for PSR S700/S900 and do the job. Usually when CCFL runs out, it burns a piece of white plastic frame, in which whole LCD & PCB is located - it leads to some plastic cracks, so you might expect rebuild some plastic areas, especially corner-around, where mounting holes are located (unfortunately). But it's good as you can easily take old CCFL out ;-) Unsolder white & pink cables and solder them to new CCFLS lamp (solder one end first, put CCFL in place and solder second end then). Or - you can decompose CCFL backlight "screen" which might cause improper backlight to whole screen - you have to be careful and not to fold anything. One shocking info: CCFL lamps have got life expectancy of 2-3 years :)
2) Buy whole screen replacement (by Arima). If you search well, you'll find it for about 90-100 pounds including delivery (China, HongKong). Yamaha doesn't repair "part of part", like CCFL in screen - they treat whole LCD screen as one spare part. It's why repairs in Yamaha service is so expensive. Such replacement requires SERVICE MANUAL as well, but is much more easy for non-techie. Be careful as they sell PSR-3000 screens as compatible, but personally I haven't checked personally if they work. All I know - they are a bit different (like one GND external cable and two more GND internal connections) - I've reported this to one seller, but they just sell parts and can't clarify. Obviously they have different part numbers, but it shouldn't be any issue, I suspect S900 screen is just small rework of PSR-3000, but I will not guarantee that unless checked personally.

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL with assembling all parts back. I've seen many PCB plates that has been screwed in too hard (or has been put not correct = if you take a look to plate seats, you'll see they must drop down a little bit first to their holders, before they get screwed) which caused PCB damage (crack) = which caused some malfunctions. Like PSR resetting constantly, USB not working, Video out not working, pedal not working and so on.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:42:37 AM by biuro74 »