Author Topic: PPF to WAV (tutorial)  (Read 3120 times)

Offline solfegio

PPF to WAV (tutorial)
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »

HSL

Re: PPF to WAV (tutorial)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »
Interesting! Was it an original ppf from Yamaha, or one created from user samples?

HSL

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:54:48 PM »
Yes it works with original Yamaha ppf packs. Just tried.

Offline DariusBic

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:45:14 AM »
WOW! really interesting!

Seems that hacking Ppf's files is easier that hacking Yep files. Do you think that Yamaha is refusing to use uTG compression in their new expansion format and they will just use Wav? 

Best Regards

HSL

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:18:21 AM »
In ppf the wavs are stored in plain format (uncompressed) + some header info (that in Audition shows up as noise).

In ppi (which are ~60% the size of the corresponding ppf) the wavs must be compressed. It would be interesting to know if the ppi stays compressed into the keyboard's flash rom (as I think) or it is decompressed once again. To detect this one should try to load into the flash rom a ppi file nearly the same size of the full rom capacity (160/512 MB in S770/S970).

If it stays compressed (i.e.: you can load let's say ~150 MB of ppi file into the S770) that means that you can use your flash rom to its fullest (loading wav files bigger than its capacity). In Motif synths it has always been so (Yamaha stored the waverom in compressed form).

Certainly it is easier to reverse engineer the ppf format than the ppi (or the equivalent yep). The reverse engineering is facilitated by the fact that you actually can create ppf files from your own content (wav files and voice programming), and hence you can try to modify a parameter at a time and see what changes into the ppf file.

It is always a tedious process anyway.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:56:54 AM »
Audio is stored as a Yamaha-specific variant of AIFF. (That's what the 'FORM' ID at the beginning of the file means.)

The Yamaha form type is 'YTWV'. If the audio data is standard AIFF (16-bit, 44100, etc.), then the YTWV can be patched to 'AIFF' and the file can be read by Audacity, etc.

However, not all audio is standard AIFF. The Woodflute in the "Best of Europe Pack" is wave type 'WXC'. It shows up as noise when read as raw audio data.

So, it's a mixed bag.

-- pj

Offline DariusBic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
So, it's a mixed bag.

That's true. I tried to open a Yep file with the method mentioned above and I have been able to heard some sound between a lot of noise. I suppose that in that case, the pack was constructed using several types of wave data.

Offline ravale123

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »
I missed this info, would anyone share the tutorial again? since the link above is is already dead :(
What I have, they are given by God, and to Him, I wll give my all.