Author Topic: Panel sustain scope on the S770  (Read 3400 times)

deepak87

Panel sustain scope on the S770
« on: July 06, 2022, 10:11:31 PM »
I have used panel sustain on the Korg PA500 long back, and interestingly it would affect the MIDI song tracks as well.
The songs sometimes sound a lot grander when sustain is applied (from my korg Pa500 experience).

On the S770, when playing a MIDI file, the panel sustain on/off does not make any difference to the midi playback.
It seems to only affect the R1/R2.
Is there a way to have sustain applied to Midi song tracks?

Offline overover

Re: Panel sustain scope on the S770
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 10:57:02 PM »
Hi deepak87,

PSR-S, SX and Tyros models as well as Genos have two internal MIDI ports (2 * 16 MIDI channels). So there are 16 channels for MIDI files (Song parts) which are completely independent from the remaining 16 channels (which are used for up to 4 Keyboard parts, 4 Multi Pad parts and 8 Style parts).

INTERNALLY it is NOT possible to route channels (parts) from MIDI files to keyboard parts. Theoretically, however, this would be possible using a so-called "MIDI loop", i.e. a DIN-MIDI cable that connects a MIDI OUT to a MIDI IN of the keyboard. In principle, however, I strongly advise against this option. Instead, I recommend editing the MIDI file in question, e.g. in the free "MixMaster" PC program, a MIDI Sequencer program (DAW) or in "XGWorks" on the computer or directly on the keyboard. I often use "Midifile Optimizer XI" by the German company Midiland for easy editing MIDI files.

In order to get a Panel Sustain effect, the value of the "Release Time" parameter must be increased on the relevant MIDI channel. If this parameter is not already there, it must of course be inserted first (usually in the initialization bar of the MIDI file, i.e. bar 1).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 09:23:55 PM »
Hi deepak87,

Did my notes on the topic "Sustain in MIDI files" help you? I would be very happy to receive a short feedback from you.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

deepak87

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:09:19 PM »
Your reply was definitely very helpful.
I used Bandlab Cakewalk (DAW) and playing with CC64 and CC72 parameters, I could get the sustain effect applied to the respective tracks of the midi file.
I would also like to check out all the other software you mentioned, once I get a bit more into creating midis.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:36:36 PM »
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback!

Yes, you can do a lot with CC64 (= Sustain Pedal on/off) and/or CC72 (= Release Time) in MIDI files. :)

By the way, another possibility would be to exchange the Voice in question for a suitable, similar-sounding "Pad" Voice (also see the Voice List in the S770 Data List book). Such Voices already have a "built-in" Sustain, so to speak, i.e. they automatically fade away a little longer.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:41:34 PM by overover »