Author Topic: Using 2 USB pens in S900  (Read 2941 times)

Offline aprilla

Using 2 USB pens in S900
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »
Hi, I wanted to a long time ago but have just now ordered a 2xUSB extension. When it comes I intend to use 2 USB drives/pens with it. I'll likely use one (USB1) as a permanent place for user styles etc, seldom removed, and the other (USB2) will move things to and from the computer saving keepers onto USB1.

What will the S900 call the drives when I'm operating with them? USB1 and USB2? But when I tab to the USB tab how will it decide device which to load?

I guess I could wait till I have it, maybe tomorrow but more likely Monday, but I've found no mention of this through the forums and am curious  ;D

thanks!
S900

Offline jtrue

Re: Using 2 USB pens in S900
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
With two devices connected you should see two tabs, marked USB1 and USB2, and can connect to them one at a time.  This type of connection is usually made using a USB hub. Two is the limit - the PSR-S900 will only see two devices even if the hub has a greater capacity. I'm not sure you will get the desired result using a double-ended cable. Hope someone else can advise on this point.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline aprilla

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »
thanks jtrue, that makes so much sense I could never have guessed it!

I have a hub if this extension doesn't work, but I'm hoping it will, it'll just 'fit' nicer for me

:P
S900

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »
I have used this unit on both my S900 and S910 with no problems.  The top port always registers as USB1 and the bottom port as USB2.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-2-Port-Compact-Splitter-Windows/dp/B005HKIDF2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441943389&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+hub+2+port

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3
PSR Performer page

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
2 USB pens and a hub do the job very well here !

Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline aprilla

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »
Royce, that is the same unit I've purchased, glad to know it will probably work fine for me. Some of the reviewers complained because it has a 'tight' fit (one even said it was returned for this problem) but I decided to chance it and see what I thought myself.
Top USB1, bottom USB2, excellent news thanks, now I'm really looking forward to getting it  8)

Jeff thanks for the pictures, especially the screen view, they always make a thing 'real'. Being used to tabbing over to USB I never considered it would just rename and add another tab *doh*

The manuals make it seem almost dangerous to try out storage solutions but in fact it seems 'try it and see' has paid off with many solutions to fit most everyone's needs
S900

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:52 AM »
For the new T5 successor it might be easier to connect an external HD instead of a built in HD.
It is just an idea. ;)

Cheers, Jeff 
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline jtrue

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 05:34:15 AM »
aprilla -

On the S900 and some other models the USB port is around the back, both inconvenient and at risk of damage while one is trying to plug devices in, especially if they are a tight fit.  The solution is to get a short USB extension cable like this:  http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/2ft-usb-2-0-extension-cable-a-male-right-angle-to-a-female.html

The right angle connector goes into the keyboard, where it does not stick out very far and can be left in place indefinitely. Bring the other end around to the front where you can plug devices (including a hub) in and out without stretching and without risking damage to the keyboard's port. That way, if the connection wears out or gets damaged you only have to replace an inexpensive cable, not face an expensive repair of your instrument.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline aprilla

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks jtrue, I do already have a short extension for a single USB attached, one of the first things I did after starting to use the USB, and it is very convenient. At that time I couldn't find a two slot one with affordable postage, price yes but delivery was nuts LOL I was actually surprised to find a selection of them available now, compared to a few years ago. For a while I just forgot to look  :P

I use an 'L' USB thing on my comp which is in a tight spot, great find I thought! The S900 doesn't need it where it is but I might try it and see how it feels when the new one arrives ta

With the two slot extension I think I will be set up nicely  8)
S900

Offline aprilla

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 02:48:44 AM »
Jeff! you sending me the T5 successor??? WooHoo!!  ;D  ;D
How very generous and kind! What a nice surprise it'll be!!!!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:50:18 AM by aprilla »
S900

Offline aprilla

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 04:36:12 AM »
Thanks for all the help, delivery was terribly slow but now this 2xUSB extension solution is working very nicely for me. I guess soon I'll have to stop fiddling with the kb and actually start playing it  :-[
S900