Author Topic: Yamaha Bring Arpeggio Ability to Style Creator!  (Read 3031 times)

Offline shim

Yamaha Bring Arpeggio Ability to Style Creator!
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
Some of you may have not had a chance to try it yet, the all new arpeggio feature, up until now only found on Workstations, is included on the PSR s970. Once you'll try it for yourself, you'll be amazed at the new musical abilities open to you.

Now, as someone who uses the style creator extensively for creating and editing my own custom styles, I was very excited to try the new arpeggio feature yamaha introduced with this keyboard.
I thought "How cool would that be to ease up creating various complex style parts!", so I went to the style creator, picked a voice and.....

NO! It doesn't work! You cannot use harmony/arpeggio in style creation....... that is a great disappointment, frankly, I don't think I can find the arpeggios as useful for anything else (in live playing)...

I ask Yamaha to please, with the next firmware version: Update it so that the arpeggio functions work WITHIN style creating, and can be saved. This is a tremendously useful feature.

Online Joe H

Re: Yamaha Bring Arpeggio Ability to Style Creator!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
shim,

you can do what you propose above.  Buy a copy of StyleMagic.  I intend to do just as you want to do.  Record your arps as MIDI song files and they can be made into style phrases.

But recording them directly into Style Creator would be perfect!  Yes that would be  8)

I will produce some for download in the near future.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline shim

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
I guess as we'll see more users getting their hands on the psr s970  they'll see the advantages of such a feature and vote.

Offline shim

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »
Bringing back the topic....

Now that many have received their shiny new psr s970's, don't you agree that it would be so useful to be able to program arpeggios within a style, instead of having to program each note of complex parts?

Please vote. And comment, or, if this has been already implemented with a new firmware I don't know about, let me know.

Thanks to all that voted, and all who didn't, please do!

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:35:06 AM »
Very interesting issue ! To be followed. ;)
Hopefully useful for S770 too.
Thanks, Jeff
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:36:19 AM by Jeff Hollande »
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Online Joe H

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »
shim,

I've been busy exploring my new keyboard after it sitting in the box for 4 months.

Yes you can make style Parts and Multi Pads from the arpeggiator.  First you must record the arp to the on-board sequencer, then you will need StyleMagic to make the style Parts and PadMaker-Midi to make the Multi Pads.

Attached is an example.  Try the User Voice with this style.  The Chord 1 Part in the style is a recorded Arp from the arpeggiator.  I use LIVE CONTROL assignments as follows:

Knob 1. Voice/Arp/Velocity
Knob . Voice/Arp/Gate Time

Attachments include the MIDI file I recorded, the style I created from it and the User Voice I created with the Chord 1 Type Arp assigned to it.  You will have to assign your 2 knobs (as described above) manually.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:51:20 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: carson123mendes, Ray Eyden, bmarcill, Taffinator

Offline WolfBack

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
I have already connect my S770 on my PC, but I don't want to purchase expensive software only for such a simple thing.
The arpeggio can be recorded in song creator, but not in style creator. There's no ability to copy the arp. from song creator channel to style creator channel, either... That's very annoying.
I hope that yam fix this issue sometime... I like to do my things with my keyboard workstation instead with my PC. In other cases I will stuck with my old habits, like Sonar, Propellerheads Reason and Fl...
 :'(

Sorry for this thread resurrection...
Make Music, Not War....

Antonis WolfBack (Athens, GR)

Online Joe H

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »
Hi Wolfback,

PadMaker-Midi is free and StyleMagic is inexpensive and well worth the money, because it's a top notch style editor.  We should see a program update release coming soon... maybe there will be some new features that will make it even a bigger bang for the buck.

8)

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:19:08 PM by Joe H »

Offline topick

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
Never used PadMaker-Midi and do not know what it is but I do use the "StyleMagic" and it is well worth it. Did not mean to change the subject but it is exciting to hear that you folks are working on a new update. It's about time. Thanks you guys all.

And Shim, hope you got your issue taken care of.

topick

Online Joe H

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »
topick,

I'm just a StyleMagic user like you , but I heard an update is coming soon.

You can get PadMaker-Midi here. 

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html

Very good program for making Multi Pads from MIDI loops or even song files.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:23:05 PM by Joe H »

Offline WolfBack

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
I'll be wait for this update and then, I will keep in mind if I'll be able to pay for.
I hate the ignitions USB keys, USB register keys and c.t.c and I'm thinking if I will able to accept this kind of lock's anyway...
Make Music, Not War....

Offline topick

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
I know, at first, I was hesitating but then I bite the bullet and went for it.
It's been over an year now and appear to be pretty safe.

Believe me, it is worth every penny.
You just need to watch video 2 & 3 many times before heading the road.

topick
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:42:52 PM by topick »

Online Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
WolfBack,

I was very reluctant to buy StyleMagic at first because of the USB dongle.  But then I realized Thomas just wanted to protect his hard work and his program against pirating.

I have both StyleMagic YA and Midiworks YA that use the same dongle.  Then I bought a backup of each program and both backup programs use a second dongle.

StyleMagic and Midiworks are also portable, meaning I have copied the programs to the dongle and can run the programs on any computer right FROM the dongle itself.   8)

Joe H

Offline WolfBack

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
WolfBack,
StyleMagic and Midiworks are also portable, meaning I have copied the programs to the dongle and can run the programs on any computer right FROM the dongle itself.   8)
Joe, how I can do that thing? Having StyleMagic as portable software is very interesting and useful to carry around with my dongle USB.
I read about some software that can do such things (like Cameyo and VWare) but I didn't try neither of them.
(BTW, I take a deep breath and purchase the StyleMagic a few minutes ago...)
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:12:29 PM by WolfBack »
Make Music, Not War....

Online Joe H

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
WolfBack,

You will need to install StyleMagic on one computer first... then you can just copy the entire StyleMagic folder to your dongle and it will run from there if you plug the dongle into another computer.

Joe H

The following users thanked this post: WolfBack

Offline WolfBack

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
So, that's simple, huh?  :o
Thanks a lot, Joe!  ;)

This program is not so simple as I thought at first... but I will keep learning.
Also, I would like to thank you for your StyleMagic templates; they are very helpful.
Make Music, Not War....

Online Joe H

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
WolfBack,

Once you get familiar with StyleMagic it becomes very easy to use (and you will be able to do things very fast). 

Thomas knows very little English language.  So after the next release and I am able to see what the new interface looks like and any new features, I hope to write a StyleMagic Users' Guide.  It is a very powerful program.   Hopefully there WILL be some new features as well as a new look.

If I do write a Users' Guide I will send it to Thomas for review and his approval.  If all goes well, maybe it could be translated to Polish, Dutch and German as well.  But I am getting ahead of myself... we will have to see.    ;D

Joe H