Author Topic: Can the PSR s900 play mp3' s or wav files ?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Bertie59

Can the PSR s900 play mp3' s or wav files ?
« on: July 11, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
Hi thee,
I appreciate that this is a rather basic question but I've been searching thru' the forum and my manual but can't seem to find the answer  ......

What I would like to know please  : is there any way that I can play mp3's or indeed wav files on my PSR s900 ?

I have some songs recorded as mp3's and some as wav files I'd like to play on my keyboard - I've looked into converting them into midi files which I know will play but that seems fraught with problems?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Bertie  :)

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Can the PSR s900 play mp3' s or wav files ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
Hi Bertie,

You can record and playback audio files in WAV format, but not MP3.

The procedures for both recording and playing back WAV audio files are in the 'PSR-S900 Owner's Manual', so I'm surprised that you have not spotted it if you have looked in the manual!

The  section 'Recording Your Performance as Audio (USB Audio Recorder) (PSR-S900)' starts on page 63, and the one about play back 'Playing Back the Recorded Performance' starts on page 65.

Regards

Ian

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:00:49 AM »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for you reply. Yes I do know that you can record a wav file and I have done so and this will play back on my keyboard but what I wanted to do was to play a wav file which wasn't created by me on my particular keyboard but for some reason the keyboard wouldn't read it from my usb - the same usb I use to record my own files on. I'll have another little look at page 65 as you suggest and see if I'm missing something.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:08:16 AM »
Hi Bertie,

If you are following the instructions in the manual, and the keyboard will not load a WAV file from USB, then it could be the wrong WAV format.

The file must be 16 bit PCM, Stereo, sample rate 44100 Hz (44.1 kHz).

Often with songs from the internet it's the sample rate that is wrong.

You can't see the actual sample rate from the file properties in Widows Explorer, but you can see the data bit rate on the 'Details' tab.  For a stereo WAV file at 44100 Hz this should be 1411 kbps or 705 kbps for a mono file.

If I try to load a WAV file from USB that is the wrong format to my Tyros4, the keyboard lists the file and when I select it, briefly says 'Now Loading', but then shows an error message saying that the instrument does not support the file format.

I have attached a very short WAV file of the correct format, which should play on your S900 once it has been unzipped.

You can get free audio file converters from the internet which will convert your files to the correct format if necessary.  They should also be able to convert your mp3 files into the correct WAV format (although this won't increase their quality!).  Additionally these programs will often let you see the format details of files loaded into them, so it is useful to have one.

I use 'Switch' from NCH ( http://www.nch.com.au/switch/  ).  The free version is at the bottom right of the screen, but if you install it watch out for the options to install other NCH programs - you may not want these!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:56:32 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
Hi again Ian,
Ah! ha!  I didn't know that there were different types of wav files ! Thanks for the tip and all the info.

Thanks too for the info on converting files I had wondered about trying to do that - will certainky look into it.

And a big "thank you" for sending me a wav file to try - will download it and try it out tomorrow.

I really appreciate the help you've given me.

Kind Regards

ktnwin2011

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
There is no tool to convert WAV or MP3 files into MIDI files.
The way I play pre-recorded MP3 files is to use an MP3 player (or tablet or cell phone) and connect it to the PA system (or even to the keyboard using its AUX input connectors), then MP3 / WAV files can be played along with your keyboard playing.
Or one the WAV file is recorded on the keyboard, it can be played back by the keyboard and you could also play keyboard on top of that.