Author Topic: Why doesn't Yamaha have a portable keyboard like Korg Microarranger?  (Read 26482 times)

Offline fantasyvn

This is partly a wish, and partly a question. I have looked at some youtube videos about the Korg Microarranger, and it seems to be very interesting. According to the promotion, it is meant for songwriters so the specs are good - it is not a beginner keyboard. But it is also small and portable, although Korg should have added a battery.

Should Yamaha release a product like that?

Thank you

Offline English

Re: Why doesn't Yamaha have a portable keyboard like Korg Microarranger?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Many years ago, they did. It was called the PSR SQ 16. Full arranger facilities, 16 track sequencer and mini keys. Personally, I thought it was a great keyboard, but it just didn't catch on.

Alan.
AlanDavisJr.com
Korg PA3x, Yamaha Tyros 4, Yamaha CP4 Stage Piano, Yamaha PSR3000, Roland F-100 Electric Piano, Roland PK-5 Bass Pedals, various harmonicas, penny whistle and a bass triangle (needs tuning)

Offline psrguy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
fantasyvn

Could you please  give Mr Magoo the url for the UTube you where watching about the Korg Microarranger ?
Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings

http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
Hi Wally,

I'm not sure what fantasyvn was watching on YouTube, but here's a link to what I Goggled and watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xTX4PKwhc
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:54:52 PM by rlbrenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
I sincerely believe the primary reason Yamaha does not make one is because there is no demand for this toy looking keyboard - it's that simple. Yamaha does a tremendous amount of marketing research before making a keyboard. If there was a market, they would have produced a similar board.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Ray Eyden

Offline English

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
Hmm. I don't know why, but I thought the SQ16 had mini-keys. Looking at pictures on the Internet, it looks like it didn't. I wonder what keyboard I'm thinking of then? They definitely made one with mini keys. Anybody?
AlanDavisJr.com
Korg PA3x, Yamaha Tyros 4, Yamaha CP4 Stage Piano, Yamaha PSR3000, Roland F-100 Electric Piano, Roland PK-5 Bass Pedals, various harmonicas, penny whistle and a bass triangle (needs tuning)

Offline English

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
Thanks, Ted. No. It wasn't a toy arranger I was thinking of. I know they did those in mini keys. I'm thinking of a very good keyboard with sequencer, etc. that had mini keys. Maybe I'm imagining it! I really thought it was the SQ 16.  ???
AlanDavisJr.com

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
There was also a Yamaha PSS-680, as well, which also had mini keys.  I worked at an electronics store back around the 1988-1990 time period that these keyboards were new, and we sold both -- the 480 and the 680.  The 680 was pretty cool for its time.  It had a row of big drum pads below the main keyboard, though I don't know if these were programmable or assignable in anyway.  It had a basic synth function that allowed you to create or edit voices, but I don't remember its storage capability.  And I believe it did have a 5 track sequencer built in, but I believe the tracks were mono only.

I really like the way these old keyboards had everything right on the front panel -- very few menus and sub-menus.  Everything immediately accessible on the panel.

The tiny keys would be a bit of a turn-off for me -- it would seem to be hard to play seriously with them.  But as a portable machine for laying down some tracks, it could work.  Not long after this time period, Yamaha came out with the PSR-500 (and then its successors) which provided much of the 680's functionality in a full-sized keyboard.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline DonM

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »
I played my friend Hank B.'s SQ16 a lot.  It was a modular keyboard with separate sections for styles, sounds, recorder.  It had full sized keys for sure.
DonM

Offline English

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
Yeah. I guess the old mind is playing tricks on me. Ah well, senility has its advantages. Every day is a new experience!  ;D
AlanDavisJr.com

Offline DonM

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
I think Korg put out the Micro because they had some cases left over from a synthesizer that size.  They just put PA50 software in it and VIOLA, a "new" keyboard. 
I would pick one up for my grandson if I could find one at the right price.
DonM

Offline fantasyvn

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
Thank you for all your kind replies. Perhaps there is no real demand for such a portable keyboard, after all.

Offline DonM

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »
You COULD just buy a Korg Microarranger.  :)
That way you would have the best of both worlds and the KMA wouldn't take much room along with the Yamaha.
DonM

Offline hammer

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »
I own and often gig with a Korg MicroArranger. You would be shocked at what it can do and the great sound it produces. I don't play triples much anymore but the KMA is my go to rig whe. I do.

Deane

Offline psrguy

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »
You COULD just buy a Korg Microarranger.  :)

How much do they cost in the US ?  Actually it looks rather interesting and sounds not too bad watching/listening to the "Korg" produced video's.
Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings

http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Offline Paula

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
Hi
 I have a K.M.A it sounds very big the keys are not hard to play ,i think they are worth there money
             Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Tyros 4 and Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline fantasyvn

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
In the UK, the Korg Microarranger is sold at various outlets for £399. I was wondering if it is cheaper elsewhere.

Offline Christophermoment

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
Hi, don't forget Yamaha makes the MX 49/ MX61 boards.  Over 1000 sounds from the MOTIF series, 208 Patterns and 999 Arps. Only $500.
 - Equipped with VCM effects
 - Easy Split /Layer Performance Mode for Instant Inspiration
 - 16-Part Multi timbral and 128-note polyphony
 - Extensive Hands-On controls for VSTs and DAWs
 - Bi-directional USB Audio/MID interfacing
 - A complete suite of music production software included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juy7ZeAfIhY&list=UUaE4K7yjn9XY_dGvbjIjTJQ

This is a great machine.

Christopher.

If you be a real Seeker after Truth.
It is necessary that at least once in your Life,
You doubt, as far as possible, all things.
_________________________________________________ _______________________
Tyros 5, HS8, Audiogram 6, Cubase

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
All keyboards are portable.  ;D  If they weren't you wouldn't have one in your house.
Amateur- A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.
Here's some of my compositions.
https://soundcloud.com/wallyzel/sets/musical-thoughts-1

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 02:10:14 AM »
Well, if you look at it that way, even a B3 Hammond Organ or a Bösendorfer Imperial are portable - if you've got a truck!  ;D ;D ;D
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline English

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:29 AM »
Well, if you look at it that way, even a B3 Hammond Organ or a Bösendorfer Imperial are portable - if you've got a truck!  ;D ;D ;D
Once upon a time,they were - complete with Leslie speakers.
AlanDavisJr.com

Offline RF

• Yamaha PSR S 970 - Korg PA 900 and Micro Arranger
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »
Hmm. I don't know why, but I thought the SQ16 had mini-keys. Looking at pictures on the Internet, it looks like it didn't. I wonder what keyboard I'm thinking of then? They definitely made one with mini keys. Anybody?
I bought two of them - both standard keys. PSR was always standard keys, PSS was mini keys. Something like the PSS 795.
Kind regards
Ronny F
--------------
Yamaha PSR S 970 - Korg PA 900 and Micro Arranger (had Tyros 1/2),  Bose L1 compact,  HK Audio Lucas nano 300
I had Roland E50,  Technics KN 6000, Bohm Station 2, Wersi MK 1, Roland D 110, Yamaha YS 100

Offline English

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
That could be the one I was thinking of, Ronny.
AlanDavisJr.com

Offline RF

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
The microarranger is pretty amazing. Like it and can understand,  that some users say "It's all I need for gigging"
Kind regards
Ronny F
--------------
Yamaha PSR S 970 - Korg PA 900 and Micro Arranger (had Tyros 1/2),  Bose L1 compact,  HK Audio Lucas nano 300
I had Roland E50,  Technics KN 6000, Bohm Station 2, Wersi MK 1, Roland D 110, Yamaha YS 100

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:54 AM »
A friend of mine had a small Yamaha keyboard back in the 80's.  It had mini=keys and was about 16"-18" long and 6"-8" wide.  He was the rhythm and lead guitar player in his band.  He used this keyboard primarily on one song.  The song was by the Cars called "Just What I Needed."  The sound was right on for that song.  I don't know what the model was.  I'll have to call him and ask.  It ended up getting stolen out of his van along with some other equipment.  It was discontinued and he couldn't get that same sound out of DX7 he purchased later. 
Amateur- A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
A friend of mine had a small Yamaha keyboard back in the 80's.  It had mini=keys and was about 16"-18" long and 6"-8" wide.  He was the rhythm and lead guitar player in his band.  He used this keyboard primarily on one song.  The song was by the Cars called "Just What I Needed."  The sound was right on for that song.  I don't know what the model was.  I'll have to call him and ask.  It ended up getting stolen out of his van along with some other equipment.  It was discontinued and he couldn't get that same sound out of DX7 he purchased later. 

This kind of makes sense, when I think about it.  I know that Cars song, and the main synth lead that is played during the verses sounds pretty much like a pure square wave, to me.  The DX-7, which I also once owned, produces sound by modulating sine waves.  It probably is quite difficult to get a pure square wave from modulated sine waves.  I'm sure you can get close, but I bet it's next to impossible to exactly duplicate it.  It seems to me that later versions of Yamaha's FM keyboards allowed you to select other waveforms for modulation than just sine waves.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline RF

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 03:32:14 AM »
You are right. DX 11 and TX 81 had more operator waves, the SY series mixed AWM with the better FM synthesis.
Kind regards
Ronny F
--------------

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »

I asked my friend the other day and he said it was Yamaha CS-01.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtKDTvCjco

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
Many years ago, they did. It was called the PSR SQ 16. Full arranger facilities, 16 track sequencer and mini keys. Personally, I thought it was a great keyboard, but it just didn't catch on.

Alan.
I had the PSR SQ 16, it was with normal keys.
Could it be, that you may mess it with PSS 795?

Offline English

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
You know, you're right! And yes, I was getting it confused with the 795. Thanks for the correction.
I had the PSR SQ 16, it was with normal keys.
Could it be, that you may mess it with PSS 795?
AlanDavisJr.com

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
PSR E200, 300, 400 series and more for beginners.

How many pro musicians would play on a microarranger? 
guitpic1

PA 4X, S970, DGX650, JBL Eon One, SSV.3

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
They would use it as kind of musical notebook