Author Topic: Creating new 'Custom Styles' from Tyros 5's "40 Styles w/ Audio Drum Loops  (Read 42123 times)

scottyee

On another forum (Synthzone), Marcus wrote:)

"you are not limited to just 40 Audio Styles on the Tyros 5. I look at it more like 40 Audio Style Parts to work with to create hundreds of Custom or Hybrid type styles to your liking with the Assembly and other modifications in a Style Creator. The borrowed style parts must be musically suitable and same time signature. A new Audio style can be created with suitable borrowed parts of any of the Tyros 5 styles and thousands you can import as long as you start with the Audio Style and Audio Part you want."

Wow, I hope it's true that we'll be able to actually SAVE any of the 40  audio styles (including retaining the audio drum loops) as a new 'custom style' and also be able to import (via T5's (assembly feature) other style parts as we already can do with (non audio drums) styles.
Perhaps someone here that already has a Tyros 5 can test this out and report back their findings. Doing this will benefit  all potential Tyros 5 owners. :)

Scott  8)

Offline hammer

Re: Creating new 'Custom Styles' from Tyros 5's "40 Styles w/ Audio Drum Loops
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »
Hi Scott,
I have a S950 which includes Audio styles.  What I have found is the only use for them during a live gig is to use them directly from the preset categories or to save those you wish to use to the USER area.   Unless Yamaha has changed this the Audio styles will not save to any external device.   This makes it very difficult to
create gig sets which include Audio styles.   

As for creating other styles from them - I have not tried to do this.  But, I have changed the OTS of several Audio styles and saved those changes to the USER area.   

Won't know until my T5 arrives how this will work with the built-in hard drive.

Deane

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Hi Scott,
Ty5 only lets me paste Audio styles to User, anything else is regarded as "external" and not allowed. ::)
Cheers John

Offline hammer

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »
John,
This is exactly the way my S950 works and I use very few of the Audio styles because of it.
I was hoping with the T5 we would be able to save Audio styles to the hard drive.
What a bummer!!!  Yamaha wants to promote the T5 as a "Pro" tool but with this limitation it still remains a home player arranger.  Oh yes - I do have one on order. 

Deane

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
So John,

Is it the same that you can not record the audio styles to MP3 or wave as on the S950?

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
Yes you can record Audio in the audio recorder and it works very well.

You can mix and match your style parts the same as we did on our other keyboards but you can only save to use section. This makes sure you can not give these styles away. Of course this may change in the future who knows.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
The audio styles are great for playing that one or two songs they were designed to play. But as pointed out the audio type of style is useless to the gigging world. The fewer of them in the keyboard the better. I have not use any of the them in my S950 so far.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:20:47 PM by DrakeM »

Offline hammer

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
Drake,
I completely agree with your post.   I use ONLY THREE of the Audio styles on my S950 at gigs and they have been tweaked and saved
to the USER area.   For the tunes I play with them they are really great but it is a royal pain using them in a gig set.  In my gig set song titles
I put little stars in the names of songs that I can use the Audio Styles with and that helps some.

I'am like Drake - forget the Audio Styles and provide top notch normal styles that we can work with.

Deane

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
... but you can only save to user section. This makes sure you can not give these styles away. Of course this may change in the future who knows.

Eileen,

Is that true for all the styles on the Tyros 5 or only the audio styles?
I would think you have to be able to save styles to hard disk and/or USB or else there isn't much point in customizing any of them.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
Tom,

Only saving to "USER" area on keyboard is the way it is on the S950.
And it is the same with the T5 according to EileenL

Bill G

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
Tom,

Only saving to "USER" area on keyboard is the way it is on the S950.
And it is the same with the T5 according to EileenL

Bill G

Really, Bill? For all the styles? This doesn't seem right. If you can only save a style to user, that is a huge drawback of the Tyros 5. If you want to modify a style for a certain song, you cannot save it out to the hard drive or USB? The User memory area is not large. You will quickly run out of space.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »
Yamaha has provided 124MB expansion memory for "Premium Audio Style" Packs.  I can hardly wait to see the price on those babies.   :D   

;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline hammer

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
Tom,
It is only the Audio Styles that can only be saved to the USER area.  All other styles
act just like they did on all other Yamaha keyboards.

Deane

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »
Tom,
It is only the Audio Styles that can only be saved to the USER area.  All other styles
act just like they did on all other Yamaha keyboards.

Deane

Thanks, Deane! Had me worried there. Still it's seems a shame that the audio styles cannot be saved outside of the User area. Rather limiting, I guess. Maybe Yamaha will change that with an OS update or on the next Tyros 6.
;)
Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline hammer

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »
Tom,
I don't "load up" my USER area.  In the Tyros 3 I owned I suddenly had styles changing Tempos during live performances and all sorts of other odd things happening.   Turned out, on the Tyros 3 if you filled up the USER area it created these kinds of problems.  Really can't have that happening on live gigs.   So, I use the USER area very sparingly on all the Yamaha keyboards.

Deane

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »
Yes, Deane. I recall hearing about problems if you had too much stored in the User memory. I keep some favorite styles in mine but not many.

I was hoping Yamaha had increased the amount of User memory on the new T5 but it is the same as the T4. It would have been nice to have a larger User memory area in the Tyros 5. Especially if that's the only place you can save modified audio styles. I guess players will use them as they are, or not use them much.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:46:55 PM »
Another reason for this is you can't give the styles away or they would be on every forum by now like the IDC ones have. Also they would not work at all well in some keyboards.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »
Yes, but it sure would be nice to be able to swap custom audio styles with other T5 owners at least.  :o

Bill G

Marcus

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
On another forum (Synthzone), Marcus wrote:  :)

"you are not limited to just 40 Audio Styles on the Tyros 5. I look at it more like 40 Audio Style Parts to work with to create hundreds of Custom or Hybrid type styles to your liking with the Assembly and other modifications in a Style Creator. The borrowed style parts must be musically suitable and same time signature. A new Audio style can be created with suitable borrowed parts of any of the Tyros 5 styles and thousands you can import as long as you start with the Audio Style and Audio Part you want."

Wow, I hope it's true that we'll be able to actually SAVE any of the 40  audio styles (including retaining the audio drum loops) as a new 'custom style' and also be able to import (via T5's (assembly feature) other style parts as we already can do with (non audio drums) styles.
Perhaps someone here that already has a Tyros 5 can test this out and report back their findings. Doing this will benefit  all potential Tyros 5 owners. :)

Scott  8)

Hi Scott

That was my quote; the same Marcus resides at both forums. From what I read in the Tyros 5 manuals, as long as you start with the Audio Style in Style Creator you can mix up any Style part borrowed from other suitable styles. The only issue I didn't realize was that the new Audio style can only be save to the Tyros 5 User folder. Memory can be an issue, but as on the Tyros 4 there was no problem saving to a Hard Drive folder with any non-audio styles.

For the amount of audio hybrid styles I would probably create might be fairly low and I could dedicate the Tyros 5 User drive for only Audio styles saves. On my Tyros 4, I think the User drive can hold about 100 styles. My guess is the Audio Part of the style doesn't even get saved to the User Drive. What I am saying is, probably only the midi information directing the Tyros 5 to play the audio part, not the actual memory that contains the Audio part. So my guess is you can still get at 100 Hybrid Audio styles in the User Drive. For me, that plenty if I am correct. I still don't get my Tyros 5 till mid December in order to try.

For me, I still see no real issues unless only Audio hybrid styles must be saved to the User Drive, but my interpretation is Yamaha is only protecting their Audio Styles or modified Audio Styles for this purpose. It was brought up here regarding the PSR-S950 that I was interested in when it came out, but I was turned off when I realized the Audio Parts of the style would not record to the Hard Disk Recorder. Pleased to hear, you can record away with the Tyros 5, the the other issue discussed at that time was certain Audio parts would not work very well with switched parts from other styles because the recording environment, reverb, ambiance etc., would not match.

This was recently brought up in the other forum. With some work you can always change the DSPs effects and other parameters to approximate the Audio part environment to make all the assembled style parts match fairly well with the Audio part. I need to get my hands on my Tyros 5 to experiment in these areas. For those who like to experiment and create new sounds and styles, the Tyros 5 arranger will certainly satisfy. Another trick I use, well not really a trick, but if there is a nice Premium Style to purchase from Yamaha I sometimes buy a suitable style, not for the style itself, but a really good style part I can extract in Style Creator to create my own custom style. Yamaha does the best programming for the Yamaha Style parts and implementation of the fantastic SA and mega style voices. I bought the Tyros arrangers because I want the best to suit my needs.

Marcus

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:41:14 PM by Marcus »

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »
Another reason for this is you can't give the styles away or they would be on every forum by now like the IDC ones have. Also they would not work at all well in some keyboards.

Yes, Eileen. That might keep the new audio styles from being shared on the internet. But that also reduces their useability if they are not easily modified and saved. That's what the PSR-950 owners are telling us here. Probably why Yamaha only put 40 of them in there.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Marcus

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »
Yes, but it sure would be nice to be able to swap custom audio styles with other T5 owners at least.  :o

Bill G

A Tyros 5 owner can alway create a brand new style with the original audio part. You cannot share the audio style or audio part with another Tyros 5, but you can share the new style excluding only the audio part. Then that Tyros 5 can then open up the specified Audio Style that the new style parts belongs to and reassemble all the new style parts from the shared style to the audio part and you now have the same modified Audio Style on both Tyros 5s. If that made any sense.

Marcus

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
Marcus,

Have you verified this?  ??? :o

Bill G

Marcus

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 12:24:34 AM »
Marcus,

Have you verified this?  ??? :o

Bill G

No I haven't. I will report back mid December after I try and have my Tyros 5. I just need a totally new imported Style into the Tyros 5 and try to assemble all its style part to a selected Audio Style in Style Creator. If it works, then as long as the original Audio style exist on both Tyros 5, you just share the imported modified style minus the audio part and reassemble after the import.

There is a possibility that Yamaha will only allow reassembly of the Audio Styles with only the other Panel Styles, but I can't see why there would be this restriction. If there is no restriction, beyond the issue with the User Drive, it would open up a lot of access to superb quality styles plus modify any new expansion Audio Styles Yamaha makes for the Tyros 5.

Can't wait to get my hooks into the Tyros 5, of course beyond just Style Creator.

Marcus
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:25:56 AM by Marcus »

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:57 AM »
I was wondering if it is possible that Yamaha will sell additional audio styles? Can a Tyros 5 load a completely new audio style? If so, then Yamaha could create dozens of new audio styles for the Tyros 5 to sell. Owners could buy them from yamahamusicsoft and load them in their keyboard. If that is possible, then new T5 owners would be able to increase the number of audio styles they have, as long as they are willing to pay for them.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 12:50:14 AM »
Well Marcus, please forgive this, but won't they just end up with a style they already have?  :D :D :D :D :D

Bill G

Just kidding!  ;)

Marcus

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 04:31:15 AM »
I was wondering if it is possible that Yamaha will sell additional audio styles? Can a Tyros 5 load a completely new audio style? If so, then Yamaha could create dozens of new audio styles for the Tyros 5 to sell. Owners could buy them from yamahamusicsoft and load them in their keyboard. If that is possible, then new T5 owners would be able to increase the number of audio styles they have, as long as they are willing to pay for them.

Tom G.

That is my understanding, to buy Premium Yamaha content including new Audio Style Expansion Packs. Just as you cannot make SA2 Premium Voices yourself or copy, only Yamaha can create new Audio Styles to buy.

The Premium content I bought so far was worth the cost to me for both my Tyros 3 and Tyros 4. The quality and instrument realism is second to none. I always waited for the 20% off specials. Once paid for, many previous Premuim content is reloadable and sometimes updated for the replacement Tyros at no additional cost. Like the SA2 Pan Flutes for my Tyros 3 were reloaded to my Tyros 4 and hopefully available to download again for my Tyros 5. You only pay once.

Marcus

Offline pjd

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
Hi folks --

Here's a few thoughts that are pure _speculation_. Hands-on experience and experiments would really tell...

I suspect that the audio in the audio styles is internally beat sliced (a la Reason and a zillion other DAWs). Beat slicing divides an audio track into small, beat-sized sound snippets. Each snippet is played back individually at full speed (e.g., 44.1KHz), but the snippet start times are adjusted by tempo and/or sync'ed with MIDI events. Beat slicing avoids some of the sonic disadvantages of time stretching. Time stretching introduces sonic DSP artifacts with extreme changes in tempo.

Thus, creating new audio for an audio style is not so trivial as recording a new track. Beat slicing software is pretty good at finding beats in percussion tracks -- not so good at regular pitched instruments, legato passages, etc. Even sliced percussion tracks may need some manual fix-ups. Yamaha have probably invested a lot of time in the audio tracks for audio styles. Multipad audio would need to be beat sliced (or periodically re-sync'ed) to avoid drift.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing your ideas and comments!

Thanks -- pj

scottyee

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your informative replies.  8)

It's disappointing to learn that 'styles that utilize audio loops' can only be saved to USER Memory as Tyros5's internal user storage (User Memory) is  only  6.7 MB!  :o

As far as a reasoning that Yamaha did it to restrict sharing these styles with others, I believe the actual audio drum loop  file(s) isn't included in the style file, but resides in ROM in the keyboard, and that the audio styles simply call them up when the style is selected, and that if these styles are shared with non-Tyros 5 owners, the audio drum track would not be recognized or heard.

Yamaha style file size ranges from 30-120kb each, so based on an 80kb sized style, User Memory would only hold 80 custom styles. Extremly limiting IMO. If Yamaha insists on restricting 'custom styles that utilize audio loops' to only be saved in USER memory, they should have simply increased Tyros 5's USER Memory capacity to at least 100MB or more, as currently 16GB flash memory sticks sell for less than $10 (US) each. Go figure.  ???

That said, perhaps Yamaha might consider (if enough T5 owners voice their request for it)  releasing an OS Update to allow Styles utilizing audio drum loops to be saved on the HD or USB stick too,  as all their other styles currently are.  :)

Scott

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:12:31 PM by Scott Yee »

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
Scott,

Yamaha can't do that because if they do, then anyone will be able to make styles that utilize those audio drums.
Once you know the code to call them up, anyone can then do it - just like knowing the MIDI codes for calling up voices.  ;)

BTW - Those styles saved to the User Area really are very small and don't take up much space.

Bill G

Offline Joe H

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
I'd like to get some clarification on the idea that MIDI drum kits cannot be assigned to audio styles.  This has been accomplished with S950 audio styles. The style was then exported and playable on other keybaords.

Has this capability been eliminated on the Tyros 5?

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:03:53 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Marcus

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »
I'd like to get some clarification on the idea that MIDI drum kits cannot be assigned to audio styles.  This has been accomplished with S950 audio styles. The style was then exported and playable on other keybaords.

Has this capability been eliminated on the Tyros 5?

Joe H
Hi Joe

I won't know until I try when I get my Tyros 5, but from my understanding it shouldn't be a problem assigning a drum kit to the audio part of an Audio style. I don't think the drum kit will follow the exact drum patterns of the replaced audio drum part, but you can borrow and reassemble a suitable drum part from another style to replace the audio part. Then I see no reason why not to save the new style and export to another keyboard, but you must use the sounds from the other compatible keyboard. Probably would play pretty accurate on a Tyros 4 because many sounds are shared.

Hi Scott

I am with you regarding the User Drive. I figured room for 80-100 styles. More space would be better and I can't see why a firmware update couldn't allow us to use the HD or USB. I don't expect saving the audio part (as you say probably reads from ROM), but at least the modified style minus the audio part that the Tyros 5 will read properly and play correctly with the audio part when selected.

Marcus

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your informative replies.  8)

It's disappointing to learn that 'styles that utilize audio loops' can only be saved to USER Memory as Tyros5's internal user storage (User Memory) is  only  6.7 MB!  :o

As far as a reasoning that Yamaha did it to restrict sharing these styles with others, I believe the actual audio drum loop  file(s) isn't included in the style file, but resides in ROM in the keyboard, and that the audio styles simply call them up when the style is selected, and that if these styles are shared with non-Tyros 5 owners, the audio drum track would not be recognized or heard.

Yamaha style file size ranges from 30-120kb each, so based on an 80kb sized style, User Memory would only hold 80 custom styles. Extremly limiting IMO. If Yamaha insists on restricting 'custom styles that utilize audio loops' to only be saved in USER memory, they should have simply increased Tyros 5's USER Memory capacity to at least 100MB or more, as currently 16GB flash memory sticks sell for less than $10 (US) each. Go figure.  ???

That said, perhaps Yamaha might consider (if enough T5 owners voice their request for it)  releasing an OS Update to allow Styles utilizing audio drum loops to be saved on the HD or USB stick too,  as all their other styles currently are.  :)

Scott

Hi Scott,

I agree. Tyros owners have been asking to have the User memory increased for years. It would be especially important now given the Tyros 5 limitation on saving audio styles. I support the effort to get Yamaha to allow saving audio styles to hard drive or USB like any other style.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

joseff12

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
Hi I tyros 5 and I want to ask how to make audio styles where I found manual Thank you for answering

joseff12

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
Hi I tyros 5 and I want to ask how to make audio styles where I found manual Thank you for answering

Marcus

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 11:56:22 PM »
Yamaha does not allow us to make our own Audio Styles, like the default onboard Tyros 5 ones. While we can edit style channels 11 through 16 in Style Creator, we cannot change or create our own audio drum parts for audio style channels 9 or 10.

You could however, assign wave or AIF samples to a Custom Drum Kit in the Voice Creator feature of the YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager), but will work as a conventional drum kit with no time stretch tempo technology as the true Tyros 5 factory Audio Style audio parts or available expansion Audio Styles from Yamaha MusicSoft.

Marcus

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »
I found this old topic, but it's not outdated.
Yamaha's audio style concept is good to impress possible customers but not helpful in daily use.
I used the audio styles to create other styles, but in fact, there are few.
Beside the T5 audio styles for Genos, there is no additional stuff. A limited time, the download shop offered an audio style package with 5 styles, that I doesn't really need.
I added the T5 audio styles for Genos to my PSR S970 and noticed, it's limited to about 8 or 9 styles.
I feel a bit fooled by Yamaha, because the audio styles are few, to slow down them let they sound terrible, the sound is muffled, part EQ for style and drums doesn't affect the audio part - it's one of the functions, the presenter needs.
In YouTube there is a comparsion between PSR S970 and Ketron SD7 and this is pretty unfair, because it let the Yamaha sound better, than it is.
Possibly a Ketron SD 40 could help with it's audio styles, but it has the same price like PSR S 970 had. I live in North Germany, this is a Ketron free zone, music stores claim, that nobody asked for Ketron and therefore would be no need.
What kind of conclusion is this?
When a customer never heard of Ketron, how can he ask?
Or when he heard and possibly scare stories, why should he ask?
Sometimes the local store says "I could it order for you, but you have to take it, to pay it, no money return, if not satisfied. Why don't you try these wonderful Yamaha keyboards?"
I thought about buying a Ketron SD 40, to add audio styles without the limitations, that Yamaha has, when they try to imitate Ketron. But I dislike it to buy this by mail order, to pay money, to try and then money back. I prefer to try the instrument without being required to anything.
But the nearest music store, where Ketron is on display, is in Cologne, far from Berlin and I have to pay much money for the train ticket and to spend a whole day.
Well, who would do something like this? So it's reasonable to go the easy way, to buy Yamaha or Korg and to live with some compromises.
GENOS could fix the audio styles' issue. But another issue is, that I would need three drum tracks in a style and the Yamaha keyboard seems always to hide drum kits, when I want to use this maybe on a phrase track. Anyone an idea, how to force the style editor to "see" drum kits for the phrase track?

Offline gabrielschuck

Hi Scott

That was my quote; the same Marcus resides at both forums. From what I read in the Tyros 5 manuals, as long as you start with the Audio Style in Style Creator you can mix up any Style part borrowed from other suitable styles. The only issue I didn't realize was that the new Audio style can only be save to the Tyros 5 User folder. Memory can be an issue, but as on the Tyros 4 there was no problem saving to a Hard Drive folder with any non-audio styles.

For the amount of audio hybrid styles I would probably create might be fairly low and I could dedicate the Tyros 5 User drive for only Audio styles saves. On my Tyros 4, I think the User drive can hold about 100 styles. My guess is the Audio Part of the style doesn't even get saved to the User Drive. What I am saying is, probably only the midi information directing the Tyros 5 to play the audio part, not the actual memory that contains the Audio part. So my guess is you can still get at 100 Hybrid Audio styles in the User Drive. For me, that plenty if I am correct. I still don't get my Tyros 5 till mid December in order to try.

For me, I still see no real issues unless only Audio hybrid styles must be saved to the User Drive, but my interpretation is Yamaha is only protecting their Audio Styles or modified Audio Styles for this purpose. It was brought up here regarding the PSR-S950 that I was interested in when it came out, but I was turned off when I realized the Audio Parts of the style would not record to the Hard Disk Recorder. Pleased to hear, you can record away with the Tyros 5, the the other issue discussed at that time was certain Audio parts would not work very well with switched parts from other styles because the recording environment, reverb, ambiance etc., would not match.

This was recently brought up in the other forum. With some work you can always change the DSPs effects and other parameters to approximate the Audio part environment to make all the assembled style parts match fairly well with the Audio part. I need to get my hands on my Tyros 5 to experiment in these areas. For those who like to experiment and create new sounds and styles, the Tyros 5 arranger will certainly satisfy. Another trick I use, well not really a trick, but if there is a nice Premium Style to purchase from Yamaha I sometimes buy a suitable style, not for the style itself, but a really good style part I can extract in Style Creator to create my own custom style. Yamaha does the best programming for the Yamaha Style parts and implementation of the fantastic SA and mega style voices. I bought the Tyros arrangers because I want the best to suit my needs.

Marcus
That was exactly my doubt too, and exactly what I wanted to do with my Tyros5, Marcus.
I mean then that there is no possibility to create styles using custom audios, i.e. percussion loops with time stretching technology?
How disappointing.
Such a limitation on a top-end keyboard is very expensive.
Only Yamaha has the generosity to do this with its customers, with all the technology that exists today in the keyboard.
Simply a resource that cannot be fully exploited.
What a mess this is.
Regards
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline gabrielschuck

Yamaha's audio style concept is good to impress possible customers but not helpful in daily use.

Right, it's excellent for making consumers silly.
And I'm sure it would be very useful if there were no limitations.
What was really new when tyros5 was released? Just the audio styles.
 It's like yamaha wants to make us believe that Santa Claus exists.
It has the audacity to offer a keyboard like this that took a long time for a user like me to invest in it and then discover that it wasn't all that.
 I've been a yamaha user for a long time, but it's things like this that make me consider trying out another brand of keyboard.
The reason?
They need to limit it in a way. And that's not cool.
Regards

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline gabrielschuck

I suspect that the audio in the audio styles is internally beat sliced (a la Reason and a zillion other DAWs). Beat slicing divides an audio track into small, beat-sized sound snippets. Each snippet is played back individually at full speed (e.g., 44.1KHz), but the snippet start times are adjusted by tempo and/or sync'ed with MIDI events. Beat slicing avoids some of the sonic disadvantages of time stretching. Time stretching introduces sonic DSP artifacts with extreme changes in tempo.

Exactly.
But time stretch algorithms are getting better and are already being used in other applications, such as in instruments other than percussion and drums.
They simply limited the use of a technology introduced in the keyboard that has been around for a long time.
 They thought of it in the audio styles of the keyboard, in the audio player... But for those who want to go deeper into creating custom styles with custom loops... Here comes the frustration.

Imagine you have a daw that has time stretch technology. You can use it in your songs, but you can't use it in loops, even if they manage to fit the project's tempo.
Wouldn't that be absurd?

That's what we're just talking about time stretch.
There are already programs like Melodyne and Studio One that can modify polyphonic audio material, for example: A guitar chord that you can modify to sound the way you want.
Isn't that cool?
Programs that use artificial intelligence to remove or isolate parts of a song that has already been mixed and finished. Who knew this was possible before?
Regards

Offline overover

That was exactly my doubt too, and exactly what I wanted to do with my Tyros5, Marcus.
I mean then that there is no possibility to create styles using custom audios, i.e. percussion loops with time stretching technology?
How disappointing.
Such a limitation on a top-end keyboard is very expensive.
Only Yamaha has the generosity to do this with its customers, with all the technology that exists today in the keyboard.
Simply a resource that cannot be fully exploited.
What a mess this is. ...

Hi Gabriel,

you can use the "Audio Phraser V1.0.1" program (available for PC and Mac) to create your own +Audio Styles. (Please also download the Installation Manual and the Owner's Manual for "Audio Phraser".)
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
>>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yamaha+audio+phraser+style

P.S.
Another method is to use REX files (sliced Audio drum/percussion files). These must first be imported into the YEM. (The formats .rex, .rx2 and .rcy are supported.)
>>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yamaha+rex+file+loops

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:24:39 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ckobu

That's right Chris.
Once all the methods of creating Audio Style have been studied and learned, then vocals can be added to the Style structure.  ;)

https://youtu.be/NDvZDPfCmPU
Watch my video channel

DonM

OP Scott Yee has been playing Korg PA1000 for several years now, and loves it.  FYI.

Offline Toril S

I don't like the audio styles, and am glad Yamaha left them out on the Genos!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:38:29 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline gabrielschuck

Hi Gabriel,

you can use the "Audio Phraser V1.0.1" program (available for PC and Mac) to create your own +Audio Styles. (Please also download the Installation Manual and the Owner's Manual for "Audio Phraser".)
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
>>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yamaha+audio+phraser+style

P.S.
Another method is to use REX files (sliced Audio drum/percussion files). These must first be imported into the YEM. (The formats .rex, .rx2 and .rcy are supported.)
>>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yamaha+rex+file+loops

Best regards,
Chris

Good to hear that, Chris! Thanks for the tip.
Then the thing really gets interesting.
I read the program manual and from what I understand, I create an audio style in it by adding a different groove or loop for each style session.
Then I export in .aus format and, in the case of tyros5, I load as if it were a new expansion. That's it?
Then I load the audio style into the style creator and keep adding the other instruments normally.
So, when saving the final result with the instruments already in midi data, will it be in the same format as the audio style or will it overwrite the .aus?
 This possibility of using rex files is also great.
Does it also recognize loops in wave acid format?
Usually these files already have bpm information in the header.
Otherwise, I believe it is the case to convert them to .rex or similar, right?
Regards
Gabriel