Author Topic: S910 Registration Left  (Read 52947 times)

Craven Morehead

S910 Registration Left
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:26 AM »
I did a search and didn't find anything on this, and it doesn't say anything in Owner or Reference manuals that I can find.
I have been setting up a Registration bank and everything was going good until I noticed the Left Part was not showing the voices that I had selected.
Not sure but I think what I selected on the number 1 Reg. is what I'm getting on all of the other 7 even though I had originally had a different voice select.
Right 1, Right2, and Multi-Pad works fine.  After setting up each Reg.1-8 I save the bank to user, and USB.  After seeing that the Left Part had changed I went back and did it all over again.  The same thing happened again.  Either I'm doing something wrong or maybe it's the way it's suppose to be.  When I change the Left to something else it changes it on all 8 Regs. regardless of what Register number I'm on when I do it.   

Offline travlin-easy

Re: S910 Registration Left
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »
If I recall, the left voice is associated with the style file. Therefore, if the style file has a grand piano as a default left voice, if you change it to strings, it will default automatically to the grand piano by default. I believe the only work-around for this is to run the style through Style Creator, change the left voice and save the file with a new name as a User Style.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:00:41 AM »
The left voice is part of the style group. If you want to memorize a left-hand voice, you need to ensure Style is checked when you memorize the registration.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
When I change the Left to something else it changes it on all 8 Regs. regardless of what Register number I'm on when I do it.   

On re-reading your post, if the above is your problem, it most likely means that your freezing the style. Turn off the freeze, and see if this solves your left-hand voice issue.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Craven Morehead

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »
Thanks Gary, and Fred.  OK! Here's what I did. First I went in and checked the style box and changed the Left Part and went through all the steps to save it.  The same thing happens.  All of the Registrations changed the Left Part voice to match. I looked at the freeze and it was not selected.  So I guess you're correct Barry when you said the Left Part is for Styles.  I don't really like using the Left Part anyway.  I was just putting a voice into there that would basically go with the Right1 and Right2. 

Offline Joe W

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
Craven, take a look at the series of lessons on adjusting styles:

http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/adjStyle/index.html

These will give you a much better handle on what is going on as you change things.  The left-hand voice is saved with the preset style.  So, if you load a preset style, you are going to get all the default voices, including that left-hand voice.  You can change the OTS and then resave the style under a separate name.  When you load that new, now renamed, style, all your OTS settings will come with it.  If you want to change the default tempo and/or left-hand voice in a style, you need to save the style using the more complicating procedure in the Style creator when saving your changed style.  With this procedure, explained in the lessons, your new saved style will have your new left-hand voice and tempo if that was changed as well.  Any registration that called up that style would use these new, now default, settings.
-- Joe Waters
PSR-SX900
PSR Performer Page

Craven Morehead

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
Thanks Joe.  I'm not saving Styles in the Registration.  I'm saving Voices as described in Chapter six of the owners manual.  The Left Part will play with the Registration but you can't change and save a different voice (Left Part Only) to each Registration 1-8.  I change one and they all change to the same voice.  Example:  I select Grand Piano for Left part and click on Registration Memory, and then click on Registration 1.  It saves the Grand Piano to 1, but also 2-8 change also.  I have tried all the previous suggestions and none have work.  So I don't think there is anything wrong, it's just the way the keyboard is programmed.  I haven't tried it but I bet if I was saving Styles in the Registration it wouldn't be a problem.  I don't plan on putting styles into Registrations at this time. 

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Craven,

You still haven't understood what everyone is trying to tell you. You CAN save a left voice to a registration, but it is part of the Style group, not the Voice group. If you don't check the Style group when saving a registration, it won't save the left voice.

Because you haven't saved Style as part of your registration, switching to a new registration will not change the left voice. So it's misleading to say that when you manually change the left voice, it "changes for all registrations". What's happening is all the Style parameters (like style, style balance, left voice, etc.) remain unchanged when you switch registrations.

You'll be doing yourself a favor when you make an attempt to understand what your keyboard is doing. It will also make it much easier for us to help you, and avoid a lot of time wasted.

Hope this helps,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Craven Morehead

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
I guess I'm just stupid, because I did save the style as part of the registration.  If you mean putting a check mark in the little start box just above the little voice box.
Are you saying I have to select a style to go into the Left Part?  I have been selecting a voice for the Left Part.  I don't want a Style to play when I select Left.
Maybe if you can give me step by step instructions I'll get it.  Obviously following the manuals instructions isn't working.  Sorry about not understanding, but this is all new to me. 

madakaben

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:07 AM »
Craven:

I guess I understood what you are trying to do. May be this will help.

1. Press the memory button and make sure the style and voice check boxes are checked and exit to home screen.
2. select the voices for R1, R2, and Left parts
3. Hold down the memory button again and now while holding press any of the registration buttons(1-8) to register the voices you have selected for R1, R2 and Left.

When you want to recall these part just press the registration button in which you have saved those parts, that should recall all the saved voices in realtime.

Guess this should work.

Regards
Benny
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:25:54 AM by madakaben »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »
Email me your telephone number at travlin_easy@verizon.net and I'll be happy to walk you through the process over the telephone.

If you wish to play the left hand voice, but don't want to play the style, you'll still have to select the style because that's where that left hand voice it hidden. Now, here's a step by step of how this registration has to be created in order to work:

1. Be sure there is a check-mark in all categories you need to use, including style.
2. Turn off the accompaniment and OTS link.
3. Select the left voice you wish to play with your left hand, bass, strings, choir, etc...
4. Be sure the left voice is turned on.
5. Press the registration Memory button, followed by the registration (1 thru 8) button where you wish to store the information.
6. You must now permanently save the information. From the main screen, press the "J" button on the lower right hand corner of the display, press save, provide the registration with a name, press OK and it will be permanently saved.

This will allow you to play a selected instrument with your left hand below the split point, and other instruments with your right hand above the split point. I assume this is what you wish to do. Now, if you wish to select another right hand voice you MUST select it from your user area--it CANNOT be selected by merely pressing an OTS button. Pressing an OTS button will revert back to the default left voice of the style file.

I know all this sounds complex, and the manual is absolutely no help whatsoever--we've all been there, done that and got the Tee shirt.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

P.S. - You're not dumb or stupid. Today's arranger keyboards are very complex and even the so-called experts have to ask for help once in a while.

Love Those Yammies...

YamaFox

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
Today's arranger keyboards are very complex
I absolutely agree; things can (and therefore: should) be made a lot more user friendly.

When it comes to this particular issue, Yamaha can learn from Korg. (In other issues it's the other way around.)
In Korg PA arrangers: simply push Shift-STS button (=OTS), and all voice settings are saved in a STS with the active style, including the lower hand voice, mixer settings, effects etcetera.
The same goes for performances.
Maybe "one day in future"  ;D Yamaha can make it work in a similar way, using the Direct Access button.
 8)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
I absolutely agree; things can (and therefore: should) be made a lot more user friendly.

When it comes to this particular issue, Yamaha can learn from Korg. (In other issues it's the other way around.)
In Korg PA arrangers: simply push Shift-STS button (=OTS), and all voice settings are saved in a STS with the active style, including the lower hand voice, mixer settings, effects etcetera.

Yamaha does this same thing. If you memorize an OTS, it saves the style, left voice, right voice and the other settings.

However, what if you want more control? What if you DON'T want to memorize the style? That's where registrations come in. They give you so much more power over the settings. If you want one size fits all, use the OTS. But if you want more control, use registrations. But anything with more power takes more training.

Craven,

To help you, we need to know what you're doing. In one post you said "I'm not saving Styles in the Registration". In the next, you said "I did save the style as part of the registration". So which one is it?

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Craven Morehead

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »

Craven,

To help you, we need to know what you're doing. In one post you said "I'm not saving Styles in the Registration". In the next, you said "I did save the style as part of the registration". So which one is it?

Regards,
Fred.

Fred,
  I'm not sure I'm going to use the Left Part and if I do it will not be often.  I just thought when making a registration it might as well have a voice that goes with the R1 and R2 parts.  Now I'm not sure I did save the style in the Left Part.   When I said I saved the style I was referring to putting a check mark in the style box.  I followed your step by step instructions and,
"Three Cheers For The Red, White, And Blue!"  I did it!!!!   Thank you so much Fred.  It was the way I was saving it that caused the problem.  For some reason I rationalized that since I had saved these first 8 Registrations in a Bank that I would save them that way.  When I saved each registration number individually it worked fine.
I thought when you hit the registration memory button and then the number selection it was automatically saved in the bank.  So when I went to the next registration number the previous one would revert back to the way it was because it wasn't saved.  I think I'll print out you instructions and have them laminated.  lol  You should write a PSR book for Dummies.  Those Step-by-Step instructions are great and really make it nice for us Newbies.  Thank you so much for your time and understanding.  All of you that responded.   :)

YamaFox

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
Yamaha does this same thing.

True, but in a more complicated way (more button pushes), with more risk of making mistakes.
And you cannot use the Music Finder for quick access to Registration Banks.
Korg's Songbook gives more "power" to build up your performances/performance lists.
But then again, Korg doesn't provide Registration Banks at all (not even in the new PA3X!).

That's my point: after so many years of development, manufacturers still can learn from each other AND from us, musicians, to make better machines.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
That's my point: after so many years of development, manufacturers still can learn from each other AND from us, musicians, to make better machines.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

jiminpv

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Email me your telephone number at travlin_easy@verizon.net and I'll be happy to walk you through the process over the telephone.

If you wish to play the left hand voice, but don't want to play the style, you'll still have to select the style because that's where that left hand voice it hidden. Now, here's a step by step of how this registration has to be created in order to work:

1. Be sure there is a check-mark in all categories you need to use, including style.
2. Turn off the accompaniment and OTS link.
3. Select the left voice you wish to play with your left hand, bass, strings, choir, etc...
4. Be sure the left voice is turned on.
5. Press the registration Memory button, followed by the registration (1 thru 8) button where you wish to store the information.
6. You must now permanently save the information. From the main screen, press the "J" button on the lower right hand corner of the display, press save, provide the registration with a name, press OK and it will be permanently saved.

This will allow you to play a selected instrument with your left hand below the split point, and other instruments with your right hand above the split point. I assume this is what you wish to do. Now, if you wish to select another right hand voice you MUST select it from your user area--it CANNOT be selected by merely pressing an OTS button. Pressing an OTS button will revert back to the default left voice of the style file.

I know all this sounds complex, and the manual is absolutely no help whatsoever--we've all been there, done that and got the Tee shirt.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

P.S. - You're not dumb or stupid. Today's arranger keyboards are very complex and even the so-called experts have to ask for help once in a while.

Will this step by step work ,if I have a style in my usb stick, that I wan't to keep in my user bank ? Or do I need to keep the usb
pluged in, in order to use this style? thanks j/p

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »
Will this step by step work ,if I have a style in my usb stick, that I wan't to keep in my user bank ? Or do I need to keep the usb
pluged in, in order to use this style? thanks j/p

It's hard to understand what you're asking, but the keyboard will certainly need to access the style you specify. If you've chosen a style which is on your USB stick, yes, you need to keep it plugged in. If you've chosen a style from user memory, then you don't have to have your USB stick plugged in.

Hope this helps,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

ivtec

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
maybe you need to have the Ots Link Buttom on  in order to get all voices in the reg.|

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Ivan, the OTS Link button has no bearing on accessing the left voice - it's just part of the style and is automatically retained.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
Hi Wally,
    I have Just made this bank on my Tyros 4. I chose an old style I had on my user section .I set each button up with a different left hand voice and saved in the usual way I had style and tempo ticked in the memory section. I then deleted the old style from my user section so the bank could no longer find it. You can now use it without the Accomp if you wish or choose any style you want to play it with. Switch the accomp off or on and it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »
Eileen,

Even though the original post was a year and a half ago, the topic is still current for someone.

Thanks for posting your T4 registration with Left and R1, R2 Voices saved.  I have converted your reg to an S910 registration. One is with your AI Fingering (Left Voice 91) and the second I changed to Fingered Mode (Left Vc Finger).  These should load into the S910, S750, and S950 without problems.

Would you be so kind as to confirm that nothing got changed in the conversion process by loading them into your S950 .  I have an ongoing interest in converting registrations accurately between the Tyros line and PSR line.

Thanks,
Joe H

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:01:09 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
Hi Joe,
   I really must look at the dates things are posted :) It worked fine on my 950 apart from a couple of voices which are only on my tyros.
I have redone it on my 950 so you can see and compare

dont811

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 09:40:09 PM »
3-31-2017 4:44PM EDT--I am so glad THIS is still available for me to print out & scrutinize.  I've had my S-910 Since jan '12 and still haven't grasped the way to LOAD & SAVE 3RD PARTY Registrations & have them readily available on my MAIN USB drive. Thank you all   for your help & you too Wally for asking the ?'s  that still perplex me. Like someone said: these are so darn COMPLEX--i wanna tweak my rigi-save it & play what i think is the song that fits....and have fun entertaining. Instead, I'm asking myself--where the heck is that style for MISTY w/ the great brushwork & vibes I THOUGHT I SAVED. DonT.