Author Topic: Music Finder v Registration Banks  (Read 13654 times)

maur

Music Finder v Registration Banks
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »
All the time I had my T1 I never found registration banks much use.

The same applies now with my T4.

All my registration banks are currently empty.

I find the Music Finder database search algorhithm  so efficient at locating songs that I don't see a need for registration banks.

I can be up and running with song in about 15-20secs. 

Also I don't  see an equivalent  search engine anywhere on the Tyros  to locate a given registration bank , only weird meaningless numbers.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on the merits (if any) of registration banks.

I downloaded somebody's  "sample" registrations  and they were absolute  **** .

Offline Bill

Re: Music Finder v Registration Banks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
Hi Maur

It is a big failing of Yamaha in not having a search facility for Registrations, however they are more versatile than the OTS function within styles.

They are particularly useful when you need to have more than 4 variations per song.  Also they allow you to recall so many more features that are not available in the style.  Keyboard split points, DSP settings, Vocal Harmony etc. etc.

A lot os people get round the lack of a search facility by organising their HD or USB into a more logical format.  Directory called after the Music Book and then registration after page numbers, others simply have a play order.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
A registration is simply a stored 'snapshot' of most of the instrument settings.

As Bill mentioned, for many settings, it is the only way, other than manual keyboard settings, to get back to a known state.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »
Both features are wonderful tools and once you learn to use them you'll find that 10 to 20 seconds between songs seems like eternity.

My best advice is to go to http://www.psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/regist/10regGD.html to discover all these keyboards have to offer with their registrations.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if Yamaha would give us the choice to use Music Finder to search Registrations?

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
I suspect that one day in the not too distant future they will be one in the same, but with many more options.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Ed B

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:46:14 PM »
Maur
I see this is your first post so let me welcome you to the forum where you will find lots of help and support from fellow players.
From my point of view registrations are not  a song finder.Primarily they are an arranging process to allow you to make quick changes on the fly automatically, live.
Using just the music finder you do not utilize the powerful capability designed into the arranger keyboards . You have a choice just pick a style using music finder or you can go much further and really arrange the song bringing instruments in and out beyond the 4 variations and adding and subtracting instruments in the accompaniment. You can use more than one style if you find it appropriate. You will find the tutorials previously suggested helpful in understanding  and this thread gives you an inkling into how some members use them musically

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php#11

Note to Bil and Garyl. I think it would be neat if you could call them up from the music finder as well   

Regards  
Ed B
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:48:37 PM by Ed B »
Keep on learning

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
Registrations are just the next step in making life easier for performers.

Just like the OTS feature allowed you to quickly select appropriate voices for a style, registrations allow you to control even more. In a registration, you can set the vocal harmony, text file, use different voices than OTS, change tempo, transposition, song file, etc.

Personally, I use the Music Finder when I'm playing for my own enjoyment, but I use registrations for gigs. They offer so much more control over the instrument.

Check out the registrations here: http://psrtutorial.com/Charter/Christmas.zip, and see if you still think registrations are "*****".

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

tscheiderer

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
Hi Maur,
Welcome to the forum. The Music Finder is fine.  However I prefer using registrations for all the reasons mentioned. I find that they provide much more versatility than the music finder. It would be nice if they could be pulled up by name. Hopefully some day that will be possible.  There are many ways to get around the problem. One method I use is to put the registration number on all my lead sheets. That way when I pull up the lead sheet it only takes a few seconds to call up the registration. There are many other ways to find them quickly. It just depends on your personal preference.  They are a great tool. Once you get used to them it's not nearly as complicated as it seems.

Again Welcome!

Have a great day!

Tommy    ;D

maur

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »
Thanks for all the input.--food for thought.

Just a thought :

One way to use the  Music Finder to locate registrations would be to include  the registration number in the title?

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
Both features are wonderful tools and once you learn to use them you'll find that 10 to 20 seconds between songs seems like eternity.

My best advice is to go to http://www.psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/regist/10regGD.html to discover all these keyboards have to offer with their registrations.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)

Ditto to Gary's comments. 

Maur welcome to the forum. 

Here's my 2 cents, first I'm sure Yamaha Corporation has the tools to build a music finder that will accomplish quite a bit more, including adding registrations.  All they have to do is look at Korg and it's Songbook feature.  That feature basically acts like a set of registration files, but instead is stored in a database similar to the music finder on Yamaha arrangers.  Songbook stores everything from key changes, OTS changes and just about any other parameter you'd care to adjust.  I went from Yamaha to Korg a few years back loved Songbook, but it just wasn't enough to keep me from coming back to the Yamaha brand.

I use a combination of registrations and the music finder database.  I don't use the stock preloaded MFD Yamaha supplies, instead I create my own custom MFD files. That works like a charm because on s910 and Tyros4 you can load a style from any location right at the keyboard.  Simply press "add to  mfd"  and an on board, 3rd party or midi file can be loaded to the mfd ( I believe mp3 files can too, but I don't use that option) . As far as I know that feature was never available on older Yamaha arrangers.

As far as registrations go I most often  use them to store banks of instruments named, piano, organ, strings, guitar, brass, trumpet etc. the list goes on and on it's entirely up to you how you set them up.  The sky is the limit once you get the hang of it.  Sometimes getting the hang of it is frustrating.  I know I've been there.   Good luck.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Francis Farrugia

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:50 AM »
May be someone will help me.
 I am having a problem saving a styles to MF on tyros5. After setting a style for a song with all the parameters even the Voc. Harm. I try to save it to MF. tHE PROBLEM IS:  The style is saved in full except for the Voc. Harm. I try to explain more.  So I choose a style, vary the OTS and Save. Vary volumes on the left hand . Overwrite and save. Set the Voc. Harm. Overwrite and Save. The style is saved on the HD. Choose the style and copy to MF. The problem crops up because the Voc. Harms. which I choose are altered and all styles come up with the Voc. Harm. which has been saved on the first song. Going back to the HD, the VOC. HARMS. are as I have saved them. Then saving them to MF, they change by themselfs . Why is this happening?? Thanks to all helpers.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:43 AM »
May be someone will help me.
 I am having a problem saving a styles to MF on tyros5. After setting a style for a song with all the parameters even the Voc. Harm. I try to save it to MF. tHE PROBLEM IS:  The style is saved in full except for the Voc. Harm. I try to explain more.  So I choose a style, vary the OTS and Save. Vary volumes on the left hand . Overwrite and save. Set the Voc. Harm. Overwrite and Save. The style is saved on the HD. Choose the style and copy to MF. The problem crops up because the Voc. Harms. which I choose are altered and all styles come up with the Voc. Harm. which has been saved on the first song. Going back to the HD, the VOC. HARMS. are as I have saved them. Then saving them to MF, they change by themselfs . Why is this happening?? Thanks to all helpers.

Vocal Harmony cannot be saved in a style. You must use registrations if you want to save VH.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

musicalmemoriesuk

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
Reading back on this I noticed a comment saying to use a number system with the music entry to locate a registration bank to use with that song.

Could you for example use 001whenyoursmiling ? Referring to registration bank 001 ?

musicalmemoriesuk

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 06:40:15 AM »
Or 001 When Your Smilling 001

The 001 on the end referring to registration bank 001 ?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »
Or 001 When Your Smilling 001

The 001 on the end referring to registration bank 001 ?

I see no value to putting a number at the end of a registration.

Putting one at the beginning allows you to create a playlist in your preferred order.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ