Author Topic: Yamahamusicsoft Midi File Question  (Read 5764 times)

Ricoche

Yamahamusicsoft Midi File Question
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:29:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping some experienced Tyros and PSR users can help me with a basic MIDI file question.  I am interested in purchasing some midi files from the yamahamusicsoft website, BUT, all of my keyboards only use GM/GS Midi files.  I'd like to know if the Tyros or PSR midi files include a .mid file that I can load up into a regular GM device.  I know that I'll  have to tweak the voices and such.  I primarily am looking for the data and I'll enhance my own performances.  I just don't want to buy a bunch of files and get stuck with proprietary extensions.  The yamahamusicsoft website requires you to select a specific instrument such as PSR or a Tyros model but they won't allow you to simply select GM.  For those who might have purchased midi files from Yamaha, I'm curious if you get GM compatible files or not with your PSR/Tyros Midi file purchase.

Thanks very much.

Jim

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: Yamahamusicsoft Midi File Question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:05:17 AM »
Jim,

The Yamaha arranger keyboards primarily use non-GM voices for MIDI creation,
although these keyboards also have the GM voices along with GM2 and XG voices.

The more expensive and newer Yamaha keyboards have voices not found on the
older or less expensive ones and thus the reason for separate MIDI files for each model.

Also this, the arranger keyboards make use of many effects to enhance the music and
those effects are registered in the MIDI files as well - those effects codes will be ignored by
non-Yamaha keyboards and may not be present on some of the older Yamaha keyboards.

I see no reason why you couldn't use any of the MIDI files from Yamaha, if you have the 
capability to edit the files assigning GM numbers to the various parts, but the MIDI is not
likely to sound anything like the demo.

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

angelonyc

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
I have noticed some Yamaha files contain sysex data, other instruments will not respond to the sysex, but will respond to the NOTE data (that is universal).  Most Sysex has an instrument definition code, so that Roland's will ignore Yamaha codes.. This is not always the case. When I play some T4 midi output files into Logic Pro. The sysex data will trick Logic into installing an instrument (drums perhaps). And proceed to play an organ part on drums.

You won't really damage anything, at the most you may have to 'reset' your machine.

If you have an external sequencer or some of Josoft's or Michael Besedeem's software you can also edit and tweak, the files.  In fact there is a revoicer application which will substitute T4's extended voices (SA2. Mega etc. into standard GM files. You should have no problem.

To be safe I'd buy one Yamaha MIDI song, and see how it reacts, and if you have the software, and fortitude to modify it easily to suit your needs.

Ricoche

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
Thanks guys!  It sounds like the MIDI files will load up which is what I needed.  I understand the voice allocation and sysex commands will need to be altered or rewritten to desired effect.  It's the actual notes that I was interested in which would save me programming time.

Much appreciated.

Jim

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Jim,

You might do a search on eBay for song files. A couple of years ago I bought a DVD for $12.50 containing 10,000 Yamaha midi files.

These song files came in GM, GS XG and KAR file format, (a total of 40,000 files) which include lyrics and chord data supported by the PSR and Tyros keyboards. Many of these song files sound very professional. A lot of choice for the price!

The DVD also included music instruction books and lots of style files for a variety of Yamaha arranger keyboards.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Steenjo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
Hi Ricoche

There's also a chance to find what you look for here. http://www.midispot.com/da/
Midispot has midifiles in both GM and GS

Steen

Offline Heiko

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:43:28 AM »
Hello Jim,
With my software PSRUTI has implemented a function to convert Yamaha XG MIDI files to GM.
www.heikoplate.de/mambo - Downloads - PSRUTI
Look at the manual (or Help), chapter 4.
Regards Heiko

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:13:43 AM by Heiko »

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
MidiPlayer also has a GM conversion function, enabled by setting the instrument = GM sound Card, that selects voices, converts megavoices back to standard voices, re scales the note velocitys, etc.

See: http://psrtutorial.com/MB/midiplayer.html

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5