Author Topic: changing MIDI Channels  (Read 5133 times)

thugsy15

changing MIDI Channels
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
how can i change the midi channel i am currently in? for example, im using Kontakt 4 in Cubase and i loaded Piano, Violin, and Cello. Piano is in channel 1, violin in 2 and cello in 3. how can i switch to channel 2 so that i can control and hear the Violin? should i press something on the keyboard? i thnk controller keyboards have this function but i cant find it in PSR s700.

or if there is a way to change from channel 1 to another in Cubase or Kontakt that you know, then please teach me.

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: changing MIDI Channels
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
thugsy15,

Near as I can figure, you must set a separate "instrument" track for each Kontakt voice you wish to use and
the track that is highlighted will be the Kontakt voice your keyboard will play and you can highlight
more than one track and all the highlighted tracks will respond to your keyboard playing.

Seems Kontakt will only receive channel 1 or Omni, no matter what the drop down shows in Kontakt.

I admit I have not used Kontakt enough to sort out why only channel one is being received by Kontakt.

But - you can have multiple instances of Kontakt running in Cubase and that is how you get different
input to each instance.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

thugsy15

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:43:54 AM »
that's what i used to do. i just found the solution. i will share it in case somebody is also having a problem with this.

instead of loading it as an instrument, press F11 and load Kontakt as a VST. it will ask you to create a midi track,select yes. activate all the output by clicking that small arrow before the name of the plugin, in this case, "Kontatk". then automation tracks will be added in Cubase depending on how many outputs you activated. then on kontakt, route the outputs to the output you just activated in cubase (see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32-P9vLyXs&NR=1). still on the Kontakt window, load multiple instruments if you wish and route their outputs properly and select the midi channel that you want.

now here is the trick to be able to control the instruments in channel 2 and so. in Cubase, go to project> add track> MIDI. then on the left side, in the "Inspector" of that MIDI track, select the output of that MIDI track to Kontakt instead of Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (the default in mine, may vary in some users) then immediately below that is where you can select the channel you want that track to control, select 2 or 3 or whatever channel you want to control in Kontakt. then there you go. if the outputs are properly routed, then you will be able to run  just one instance of Kontakt with different instruments inside it.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »
Okay thugsy15.  8)

Thanks for the feedback on this one.

Was just to easy - isn't it always that way.  ;)

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

angelonyc

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
Yes you can  run one instance of Kontakt with many instruments on it.. If you are overdubbing parts, or sending midi data from T4's internal sequencer, rechannel the midi channel, either in DAW/kontakt or in T4 MIDI transmit page..

Offline Richard J

plrease suggest me correct midi cable for the specifications of my lap
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »
I do have a PSR-910 keyboard, i am thinking to buy a midi cable ,
when surfing about that i got understood about the COMPUTERS SPECIFICATIONS.
I think i got that right in time.
my computer SPECIFICATION -WINDOWS 8 OS WITH 2GB RAM & 32 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM*64 BASED PROCESSOR
PROCESSOR -INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R)@ CPU B950 @2.10GHZ