Author Topic: Question for Genos owners who owned Tyros 4 and 5  (Read 18689 times)

Tyroscope

Question for Genos owners who owned Tyros 4 and 5
« on: November 03, 2019, 02:43:02 AM »
Hello,

I own Tyros 4 and have an opportunity to upgrade to Tyros 5, 78-key. Except for the bigger keyboard, my concern is that I may not see much more difference. I had such an experience when I upgraded from Tyros 2 to Tyros 3.
What do you think? Is it worth going for Tyros 5 or should I just wait a year and purchase used Genos when Genos 2 shows up?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Question for Genos owners who owned Tyros 4 and 5
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 03:06:34 AM »
What problems are you having with the Tyros 4?
What features do you think are on the T5 / Genos that will help you.

Genos is a big upgrade from T4. 
And I personally think you should get a Genos.

It's got a better operating system compared to T5.
Also Expansion Memory is onboard.
And big updates like  Genos V 2.0.

Regards Norman.

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 03:10:40 AM »
I own Tyros 4 and have an opportunity to upgrade to Tyros 5, 78-key. Except for the bigger keyboard, my concern is that I may not see much more difference. I had such an experience when I upgraded from Tyros 2 to Tyros 3.
What do you think? Is it worth going for Tyros 5 or should I just wait a year and purchase used Genos when Genos 2 shows up?

Personally, I would wait, and buy a Genos when you can afford it. However, don't expect a Genos 2 for at least 3 years, so finding a sweet deal on a used Genos won't be all that easy.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline elad770

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 04:42:36 AM »
Yes, The Genos 2 is Showing up. It's called the Genos 2.0 Update.... LOL  ;)

Genos is a huge upgrade from Tyros 4 and even Tyros 5.

You will not regret getting Genos and i agree with the above that you won't see Genos 2 in few years. That is the reason why they work with software that can be expanded and upgraded with firmware. They want to avoid relaunching new models just to allow new features. It saves a lot of costs and it's a win-win. With free Firmware upgrades (Like the big one that's coming up) It feels you are getting a new keyboard (To an extent)

Offline LarsMoss

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
Hello !

I have own Tyros 1, Tyros 4,Tyros 5-76 and now I upgraded to Genos.
When Genos was introduced on the market I don't was very impressed
but for more and more I listen to the sound from Genos I changed my
mind. It is a step forward and now when the upgrade will come, then
it hopefully will take us up a level higher. But it is as always, it cost a
lot of money and I can't say that for example the Tyros 5 is a bad choice.

Best regards
LM

Genos is a huge upgrade from Tyros 4 and even Tyros 5.

You will not regret getting Genos and i agree with the above that you won't see Genos 2 in few years. That is the reason why they work with software that can be expanded and upgraded with firmware. They want to avoid relaunching new models just to allow new features. It saves a lot of costs and it's a win-win. With free Firmware upgrades (Like the big one that's coming up) It feels you are getting a new keyboard (To an extent)
[/quote]
Keyboards: Tyros 5-76 and a Genos

Offline browzer

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
I've owned both the Tyros 4 and Tyros 5 and would advise you to wait as I find the Genos is in a different class from Tyros range and am sure you would notice a massive difference from your tyros 4.

Ronnie
Genos

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
lt's really all down to outgoings £££ and how much are you wanting to spend.
I recently purchased a very clean T5 76 inc speakers £1,765 with one year warranty.
DGX670

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »
lt's really all down to outgoings £££ and how much are you wanting to spend.

+1 , and it's also about how much you really want a new TOTL.

I upgraded from T4 to Genos 2 years ago, and it's a lot of differences. G is the best sounding arrangerkeyboard in the Yamaha line till date. No doubt.
The step between T4 and T5 was for me 'only' the 76 keys, soundwise I did not hear any much differences.
If wait till next Genos, I think it will take at least two or more years, and it probably also depend of how much space it is for more developement and expanded softwareupdates at excisting Genos.
Only Yamaha knows.  :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
To me Genos is the best keyboard Yamaha have produced so far. The voice and Style quality is way above Tyros and I had them all. The Genos is also a lot more compact and light in weight than the Tyros 5 76 note keyboard. Yes there is a small learning curve but once used to it you will find it easier and quicker to use.
Eileen
font]

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 08:52:34 PM »
I agree with all the others. Get the Genos. You will find it to be a huge step upwards!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

whataguy

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
All kinds of cliches will work here, 'why wait', don't put off until . . .', 'what I have is good enough'. Don't wait, you're just cheating yourself out of the best there is. Remember, afford is spelled WANT. You deserve a G, treat yourself, you'll be glad you did.  Don in MI

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 04:09:41 PM »
FWIW, I do not think the expense of moving from T4 to used T5 would really be worth it for you unless you desperately want to use any YEM-only expansion packs.

You would see a difference going from T4 to Genos.

Only you know if you want to spend the money or not!
Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
Hi Alex --

When it comes to tech, I skip at least one generation. So, in your situation, I'd save up for a Genos.

It may be a case of TMI, but the electronics and software in Genos is truly a generation beyond T4 and T5. Plus, Yamaha now views Genos as a "platform" to be extended in the same way that Apple provides occasional updates for their devices. It's a better value proposition for us customers.

Hope this helps and best of luck -- pj

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »
Hi Alex,

I recently  changed from a Tyros4  to the Genos, I did try out the T5 in a local music shop a year ago, for me there wasn't  enough change to warrant  the change apart from the 76 notes.  I really loved my T4 sounds & the Genos sounds are unbelievable  once you get used to tweaking some of the sounds to your liking. I do think that the MSO1 2.1 speakers that come with the Genos are a bit disappointing, I will definitely start saving up for better speakers to get the wonderful sounds the Genos can produce.
   Getting to the point though, I would definitely  save up for the Genos, worth it, but take off some of your favourite songs & sounds you like on your Tyros to USB, I didn't,  which I regret now, but luckily I had some of Eileen  Lowreys  zips on my USB  pen, they sound really great on the Genos as they did on my T4. Hope this helps.

Lynda

Offline markstyles

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 09:10:35 PM »
I've owned a Tyros 3,4,5, and now Genos..  Each to me has brought a 15% - 25% improvement, maybe more, maybe less.  Others might feel different. Each has noticeable improvements, not mind boggling.  If $$$ were tighter, I might have been tempted to skip a generation.  But Yamaha's top arrangers, bring me such joy, excitement, and challenge (in a good way) to play.    Now i don't buy computers as fast as I used to.. Used to get a new one every 3 years, now I go 4 - 6 years to save money.

Yes, there is a certain 'pride' in having the latest and the greatest..  I used to have a lot of synths, kbds and upgraded them often, now retired, my income is not as much.. I will sometimes pull out an older, kbd, module, and see if there is something new I can find in it.

If you have the $$$,  get the Genos..   I was not as 'overwhelmed' when I got at first.  I did not feel a huge improvement. But after a month or two, I knew I made the right decision..  For each of us, it is different. I have gone on not too many 'vacations' in my life. I preferred to have $$$ for new computers, and musical hardware. that brings me great joy.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
I have a T5, and recently got a Genos. In addition to the improvement in sound quality in the Genos, I also must mention that the Genos is lighter, and the interface is even more intuitive than on the Tyros! It grows on me every day, and I don't regret getting it even though I had to dive deep into my savings account. This is my form of traveling, I travel into the music! I don't have to save money for my old days, music will keep me young for ever :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline alans

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
Many years ago before I retired I always bought the latest Technics top of the range keyboard when it came to the market,every 2 years a new keyboard,cost me a fortune it did  8),KN2000 right through to the KN7000,then it stopped,Technics had stopped making keyboards and I took redundancy around the same time.I changed to the Yamaha Tyros5-76 when it came out and instantly noticed a big jump in quality of voices and styles,I loved the Tyros.But unfortunately I am one of those who is a sucker and bought the Genos,a decision I have never regretted ,lovely keyboard.
As pj has said Yamaha and others now enable their keyboards to be upgraded by firmware upgrades,and this is a godsend,less changing of keyboards so money saved in purchases.
You will not regret the purchase of a Genos,soon to receive a substantial firmware upgrade.

Best wishes whatever you decide

Alan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:37:11 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos