Author Topic: midi song to style is very, extremly inacsesible for screenreaders.  (Read 1279 times)

Hello, i'm using the software midi song to style to create styles from midi-files. The program is very very limited in its features for blind people. The only thing i can do is import a midi-file, and go in to the file menu and press save. I cant reorder the style sections, change the key if the analysis gott it wrong, thus, making a midi-file totaly unusable for a style which is really bad news, its bad news because yamaha put no effort in to making the software acsesible for screenreaders, in my kase, i'm using nvda. So, what do you think? I think its very pourly design for screenreaders. But, for any programers here at the forum, could you please, if you have time, develop a nvda-addon or a screenreader-script which would make this app acsesible

Offline gabrielschuck

Re: midi song to style is very, extremly inacsesible for screenreaders.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 04:59:52 PM »
Hello, i'm using the software midi song to style to create styles from midi-files. The program is very very limited in its features for blind people. The only thing i can do is import a midi-file, and go in to the file menu and press save. I cant reorder the style sections, change the key if the analysis gott it wrong, thus, making a midi-file totaly unusable for a style which is really bad news, its bad news because yamaha put no effort in to making the software acsesible for screenreaders, in my kase, i'm using nvda. So, what do you think? I think its very pourly design for screenreaders. But, for any programers here at the forum, could you please, if you have time, develop a nvda-addon or a screenreader-script which would make this app acsesible
Hello:
Have you tried using NVDA's object navigation to see if you can do more with it?
That's how I've been using YEM and Audio Phraser, which were the last two developed.
Unfortunately, my friend, she doesn't know how to create programs accessible for use by blind people.
Actually, not only her, but other programmers who create interesting utilities that are not accessible.
What can we do?
Honestly, I don't know.
There's a lot on the internet about accessibility in software. Only those who don't want to read and aren't interested don't.
I have some knowledge of programming, but I don't see myself with enough knowledge to help much in that regard.
The script I made for YEM is useful for me, but it's far from what it should be.
Regards,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 08:56:19 AM »
how do you use object navigation with nvda? And a other question, the bass instrument doesnt alternate so for example, in a normal style the bass goes, C G C G, but in midi to style, it goes just, C C C C, which is anoying, and, do you think that the software does a good job, even when the funktions dont work in detail edit

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:13:31 AM »
hello Adam,
It is in most cases required that you need to modify resulting style after it is created. And if there's only C-C-C-C to C-G-C-G modification necessary, then you can actually feel lucky :).

...do you think that the software does a good job, even when the funktions dont work in detail edit
The answer depends on midi file that is being used as source and it depends on what you consider as a good or at least acceptable resulting style.
Regardless, to get usable result from MidiSongToStyle, some knowledge about style creation is absolutely necessary. And even then, it can (and will) happen that we won't get desired result.

I have made a simple experiment with MidiSongToStyle, where I also shared my opinion about it. If you're interested, see this.

Greetings,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 11:26:43 AM »
how do you use object navigation with nvda?
I suggest you read the NVDA manual and documentation to better understand how this works.
Regards,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."